Keeping up with technology and the regret of letting go.

16 hours ago, willedoo said:

Sorry Dax, didn't mean to confuse the issue. I was referring to the pope with the pointy hat who lives in the vatican. I've heard of the first three products but didn't know they made clothes lines.

That's ok, got the joke just thought some wouldn't know pope industries existed. The pointy headed bloke in the vatican, is a perfect example of all hypocritical pointy headed believing nutters.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Well, he's a bit less rabid than the last 2.

Depends or your definition of rabid. He, his church and the zionists are all fervently pushing the New world order and one world  religion, they are never different, just use different cloaks.

• Like 1

Vacuum cleaners don't clean vacuums. My woodwork teacher at Newcastle Technical College(Claude Lamb) made mosquito parts at his furniture making business.

Velocette motorcycles were involved with Fairey/Dowty Rotol propellers. GMH Dandenong built Dehaviland engines. Packard built Merlins and even a diesel radial aero engine. Nev

• Like 1

And Caterpillar turned the Wright R-1820 radial into a diesel aircraft engine! - and called it the Caterpillar RD-1820! It was an ordnance engine only, it never went into any aircraft.

It was supercharged and produced 450HP at 2000RPM, and it was actually a multi-fuel engine, with the capability of running on diesel or low-octane gasoline.

I think Cat only made about 200 of them, and the U.S. military declined to place any more orders. I'd guess this was due to the engines high cost, and an increasing availability of the more common radial aircraft engines.

http://www.easy39th.com/files/TM_9-1756A_Ordnance_Engine_Model_RD-1820_(Caterpillar)_1943.pdf

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2021 at 4:11 PM, onetrack said:

And Caterpillar turned the Wright R-1820 radial into a diesel aircraft engine! - and called it the Caterpillar RD-1820! It was an ordnance engine only, it never went into any aircraft…

That might have made an ideal tank engine. I believe all sides in WWII used petrol engines in their tanks, the main exception being the impressive Soviet T-34, which had a Diesel engine. That must have reduced the fire risk and improved range.

Old K - The petrol-powered Shermans gained the nickname "The Ronson" or the "Zippo" (after the popular cigarette lighters of WW2), thanks to their constant envelopment in flames after just one hit from a German 75mm or 88mm projectile.

Of course, the simple problem was that the Shermans were actually inferior in armament power as compared to the brutal German armaments.

It was only due to the sheer numbers of Shermans that they managed to overwhelm the German armour - coupled with Allied tankies bravery, and poor Nazi construction and backup for the Nazi armoured vehicles.

Despite the fearsome reputation of the Panzer and the Tiger tanks, they were quite unreliable, and they used forced labour in their construction, and Allied efforts to destroy Armoured vehicle manufacturing were constantly demoralising.

Added to that, was the Nazis failure to understand and address the need to keep sizeable stocks of spare parts on hand. Instead, nearly all manufacturing production went into building new tanks.

They had the same problem with regard to their aircraft production, which led to the Luftwaffe having to cannibalise good aircraft to keep others running.

There's a good thread in the forum link below, as regards the Shermans abilities and weaknesses.

One journalist, writing one article, late in WW2, was the main source of the tarnishing of the reputation of the "unbeatable and superior Sherman", as the U.S. propagandists would have the public believe.

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=250983

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 1