Deaths in custody

Yenn

Facthunter and all, were you brought up in the UK? As a person born in Wales and from a large family(eldest of8) i was discriminated against  by the middle and higher class(what ever that means) looked down at school because i was a "Taffy" and from a large family , my father who came home from WW11 was so disgruntled with the way returned soldiers by the then Labor  government were treated left Wales to pursue work other than the mines,we now understand why he could not settle down (PTSD) so the class system was used against the so called working class, he migrated to aus in 1968 and he loved Australia(he told us stories about Aus soldiers in Burma how they were great guys and didnt take the "chinless wonders" to seriously .I have called Australia home for 50+ years and am proud to call myself aussie, as for the indigenous people they do seem to have a chip on their shoulder, yes bad things happened to them in the early years and up to the seventies ,but it is time for them to get on with life , not hark back to days when most younger ones were not  born, call me racist if you want but i have many non white friends and relatives and they are mostly good people, my very good friend is a Magistrate ,born into a Italian and 1/4 idigenous parents and he is adamant that they need to move on, and he is not a priveliged white person, but got up and worked his axxse off to get where he is ,so it can be done.Too many deaths in custody of unnatural causes should be investigated for non white and white prisoners.

Cheers gareth 

• Like 3

Class doesn't really  exist. The Poms still seem to be bothered by it. The Indians have a disgusting version of it.  Australians hate snobs and "I am' people but it's been coming back that unless you go to a Private School and know who there is to know, you are inferior. People on wages are the new working poor and the top few percent have more and more of the cash and power. CEOs wages are many multiples of working wages, the disparity becoming more obvious as time goes on. This is  a world wide phenomenon. USA is  a good example of the situation. It's replaced slavery. as a means of maximising profits for a few. and stuff the rest as somehow or other THEY deserve what they get. That's the thought music. Some Corporations have more power than Governments and USE it. Nev

• Like 2

Class is not a real thing for sure but inherited wealth sure is. There are towns in the UK where you don't see "for sale" signs, because the whole town is owned by a lord. If you are born landless, you will probably stay that way.

There was an Australian company (Multiplex) that went broke building Wembly Stadium. Why? because they didn't allow for the fact that in the UK, the workers have a real hatred for the toffs, and sabotage them when they can do so in safety.

Edited by Bruce Tuncks
  • Like 1

Class IS here in Australia, Just not spoken about, That doesn't make it go away !.

Landless, some are Homeless here and overseas. without medical OR social acceptance.

I was in Maccas when a homeless person came in for a feed. Roundly abused, for " stinking " the place up.  ( I'm a first person immigrant so do notice ).

spacesailor

The one thing I hate most to see is homeless. They should at least have a warm and dry place to sleep, and we could do this for them if we really wanted to.

Yes I know they have complex needs etc. Well I don't think this is an excuse to not give them some appropriate minimum shelter. Like culvert pipes with ends with windows and a lockable door. Stacked up like in Hong Kong.

Alas we seem to have an unholy alliance between the right-wing nasties ( I include a lot of so-called religious here ) and the left-wing lesbian vegetarian fat lady nasties. All I know is that this proposal would be shot down by both sides.

Space. CLASS is only here if people accept that as a fact. You are talking about money and the excess or lack of it. MONEY is NOT class. Plenty with lots of money are anything but classy..   Australia has actually had Inverted Snobbery. Commissioned Officers not allowed in the Non Comms mess and the well known Tall Poppy syndrome. . Also "I wonder what inadequacy He's covering up by driving that Bentley".  Send the whopper sized caravan down the back where there's no room to turn it around and watch him try to back it out. They also look down on motorcycles and always have. They have NO IDEA what they are missing out on..  Nev

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willedoo said:

I look at it this way. Take a bloke with a big house and flashy car who is a million dollars in debt. A debt free dero living under a bridge is one million dollars richer in real terms than the flashy bloke who has booked it all up.

Until auction day when he walks away with another million in profit.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

22 hours ago, facthunter said:

Space. CLASS is only here if people accept that as a fact. You are talking about money and the excess or lack of it. MONEY is NOT class. Plenty with lots of money are anything but classy..   Australia has actually had Inverted Snobbery. Commissioned Officers not allowed in the Non Comms mess and the well known Tall Poppy syndrome. . Also "I wonder what inadequacy He's covering up by driving that Bentley".  Send the whopper sized caravan down the back where there's no room to turn it around and watch him try to back it out. They also look down on motorcycles and always have. They have NO IDEA what they are missing out on..  Nev

Sorry your wrong, class division was alive and thriving post war years up until mid sixties, Teaches,doctors,bankers,managers,treated most working class(miners et al) in wales with disdain ,and if you came from a large family this made it worse, if you wanted a job you had to be part of a "class" either religious or non working class ,if you had inherited wealth this made them obnoxious, my fist job as an apprentice welder in wolverhampton  saw the snobbery of the so called upper class ,they were mostly in the power positions,management,i remember the manager a former Captain in the army, what an asshole called everyone by their last name as in ,HEY lacey, my father saw red and said back hey asshole(dont remember his name) my name is Bill or Mr Lacey ,that shut him up, so thank heavens we all came to this great country where we are all (almost) equal

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If you talk of England and such places yes  I have said the Brits still go for it. but in reality it's based on a false premise, easily challenged in Logic and on a human rights  basis.. In  Iraq people with handicaps are openly  discriminated against. In THIS Country we have been moving to a more divisive concept under the Liberals in Particular that should be refuted and exposed for the disgusting practice it is. . A good education  being available to all is the most effective component for progress in this matter.. That's well recognised generally. Nev

On 20/04/2021 at 4:16 AM, facthunter said:

Class doesn't really  exist. The Poms still seem to be bothered by it. The Indians have a disgusting version of it.  Australians hate snobs and "I am' people but it's been coming back that unless you go to a Private School and know who there is to know, you are inferior. People on wages are the new working poor and the top few percent have more and more of the cash and power. CEOs wages are many multiples of working wages, the disparity becoming more obvious as time goes on. This is  a world wide phenomenon. USA is  a good example of the situation. It's replaced slavery. as a means of maximising profits for a few. and stuff the rest as somehow or other THEY deserve what they get. That's the thought music. Some Corporations have more power than Governments and USE it. Nev

Apart from the Royals, class in the traditional sense over here is really a thing of the past and no different to Australia. There can be no new heredity peers to the house of lords (though there are still many existing ones). The professions such as law, banking, teaching, etc, are no longer the sole preserve of the classes... (in fact one of my late neghbours 10 years ago - a retired banker - confided in me the worst thing that happened to the City (banking) was allowing in the Essex boys.. My response is it got worse when they allowed the colonial boys in, too). Sadiq Khan - a Muslim and London Lord Mayor is the son of an immigrant bus driver who was able to enter one of the Russell Group universities (Oxford, Cambridge, and a few others) - previously the preserve of the upper classes. Politics abounds with old Etonians, Harrodians and Westminsterians, but those schools no longer are the preserve of the nobility - Rishi Sunak- the current treasurer can hardly be considered such.. Basically, like Australia, Money is the class society now, and while there are surmountable barriers - people can now transition classes. Look at most of BRW's top 200 - how many are from a white anglo background compared to the rest?

On 20/04/2021 at 7:28 AM, spacesailor said:

Class IS here in Australia, Just not spoken about, That doesn't make it go away !.

Landless, some are Homeless here and overseas. without medical OR social acceptance.

I was in Maccas when a homeless person came in for a feed. Roundly abused, for " stinking " the place up.  ( I'm a first person immigrant so do notice ).

spacesailor

Spacey, you are spot on.. Australia doesn't have class of nobility, but, by this definition, there is definitely a class divide in Australia, as there is in most other countries: "mass noun: A system of ordering society whereby people are divided into sets based on perceived social or economic status." In Australia, the class system is based on socio-economic factors. There are surmountable barriers to transitioning between them, but make no mistake, your socio-economic status - or class - is very real in Australia and most other countries.

OK - this is an aged example, but for 2 of my 12 years ofg education I went to a reputable private school in Melbourne. My father sacrificed a lot to put me there as he was a factory worker and of immigrant status (my surname is shared with only 3 others in the whole world and even I can't pronounce it properly). Yet, that old school tie opened up opportunities (none of which I accepted) way ahead of others.. Including being offered a job on the spot by the father of a fellow class member who hated my guts. As soon as the interviewer learned I came from that school, and the same class as his son, the job was offered. Even in my last 3 day visit to Australia back in 2018, I was shocked to learn the system was well and alive.. My brother at the time was employed by another prestigious private school in Melb and he showed me how it helped the students.

Nobility - no; perceived socio-economic class - yes.. Look at most of the AFL players - have come through the APS private school system (check out Assumption College) unless unbelievably gifted.

On 20/04/2021 at 8:57 AM, facthunter said:

Agreed - having plenty of money does not make you classy.. New money is usually gawdy bling.. whether in the UK or Australia, or the US (just look at some of the Trump household photos). But you are accepted in an upper  class of society - sadly that is how we judge the worth of people, and of course, controlling resources (wealth) gives you many advantages including acceptance by leeches who want a part of it.. Well, (and I now ignite the Sydney/Melbourne debate); The Sydney Club will accept the likes of new money (Chris Skase, etc).. Melbourne Club still only accepts old money and well established and humble new money. But they make no bones about it - it is a class of people they accept Also, it is a well known fact - if you are a member of the professions, there is a strong network which extends to reduced mortgage rates, etc. (that may have since been removed since the Royal Commission). You have made the class (classification) of society. Not nobility, but good enough these days. But, as with most countries, mobility between classes now is able to be done.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1

A good education available to All !.

WHY

Did at least two ( that l know of ) leave my local High school, unable to read ?.

Compulsory schooling does not suit All individuals,  has been witnessed many times over.

BUT

those individuals that are failing, Should be rescued from, the failed system .

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Not really space. Too much beating is as bad as letting the thuggy kids run the school.

There must be a way of managing a class without beating kids. I would use suspension from school much  more than they do, and i would ignore the woes of the thuggy kids who came to grief after being chucked out of the school. If you reckon that these thuggy kids should not roam the streets, then there could be a fenced-in area for them.

The class system was one of the reasons that I left England and when I go back on holiday it still seems to be there.

The old school tie and the elevation of military officers and doctors is just a small thing that puts me off.

I did personally know three OBE bearers and a Lord. One of the OBE was in my opinion an obnoxious man, but the rest were OK.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I left when the government went completely Racist. !.

I worked with a group of five different nationalities, ONE was a white pakistani. I was the England,r

ALL were sacked by government decree that Blacks were to be given more jobs, held by white people.

Even through the whitey folk were fully trained for that work, (  called semiskilled  ). 

spacesailor

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that class exists in Australia. But it is not so bad here that the workers deliberately do sabotage when they can do it safely.

There was a "grand designs " episode where this came out well. The project which involved a German pre-fab was mucked up by the only english thing...  a crane.

• Informative 1