I need your opinion, please.

old man emu

Being a married man for the past 40 years, I have become used to not getting in the last word. But I've come across something that will give me the last word in an argument on the sister site.

You know that I have been arguing over there about the difference between weight and mass. I have come across a video of a university physic lecture which is an exposition of the meaning of weight. The students seem to be first year students, so the material is not too heavy, and there's not a lot of complex maths. Also, although the video is about an hour long, the relevant bits come in the first fifteen minutes.

Now I'm asking for your opinion. Should I post the video, or let sleeping dogs lie?

I know that a lot of you have lost interest in the subject, but I have been attacked, insulted and trolled by you know whom. I feel that by posting this video, I can put the subject to rest.

Thanks,

Old Man Emu

-------- An Opinion ---------

Personally, If I was in that situation, I'd let go of it.

There's nothing to be gained by having the last word. Because then it's then become an argument.

If there's one thing I learnt from going through two divorces, its this......

"Its better to be happy than to be right."

But that's just an opinion.

• Like 2

OME I have no useful advice, having been too lazy to follow your in-depth posts on the physics of flight.

(I must also admit to being scared off by the maths).

However, human history is replete with people whose discoveries or long-term predictions have been ignored or ridiculed at the time. People tend to have short memories and resist common sense changes.

I have experienced the frustration of that injustice, and have learned that nobody has the decency to acknowledge I was right all along. 

I’m finally reading Bill Bryson’s classic, long after it was published; he tells the stories of heaps of people whose discoveries were ridiculed or ignored, only for someone else to be later given credit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Short_History_of_Nearly_Everything

• Like 1

I'm just posting this to have the last word.  (Until the next person).

I agree with everyone else.  Someone on this site has a motto going something like "you'll never get to your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks", and that's pretty apt. (Ignoring the animal cruelty part of it.  Maybe it should be "If you stop to throw stones at the windows of the owners of barking dogs?")

And Nev, you get noticed.  I may not always respond to your posts but in a lot of cases that's because I agree with what you've said and couldn't say it better.

• Like 1

I haven't been on rec flying for a while (well, not with any gusto, anyway), so TBH, I am not sure what the argument is, but I can guess.

But, I'll always have a word..

Out of pure interest, I wouldn't mind looking at the video..

On belligerence or heckling - I learned long ago to ignore it. The words, horse, water, and drink spring to mind

On the matter of flying modern versions I think it's done in the northern Part of Switzerland still. Nitrocellulose with silver  colour (Fine aluminium particles) added to the dope was original on things like the Tiger moth Of course, it's highly inflammable but I have no recollection of it ever being a particular problem but you wouldn't want to be chucking cigarette butts around. Nev

Edited by facthunter

Perhaps if we start to consider these lighter-than-air craft to really be "ships of the air" there might be consideration for using them as aerial freighters for international trade.

Just imagine loading a container of product in Sheffield and flying it directly to a customer in Chicago. That's 3365 nautical miles. Say that the airship could do 80 kts. That point to point flight would take 42 hours. Add 6 hrs for a fudge factor and that's two days. This method would remove ground transport to and from shipping ports and the delay in loading and unloading. A ship travelling at 20 kts would take seven days just to go from Liverpool to New York.

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

Perhaps if we start to consider these lighter-than-air craft to really be "ships of the air" there might be consideration for using them as aerial freighters for international trade.

Just imagine loading a container of product in Sheffield and flying it directly to a customer in Chicago. That's 3365 nautical miles. Say that the airship could do 80 kts. That point to point flight would take 42 hours. Add 6 hrs for a fudge factor and that's two days. This method would remove ground transport to and from shipping ports and the delay in loading and unloading. A ship travelling at 20 kts would take seven days just to go from Liverpool to New York.

I love the idea, but a couple of problems to overcome:

-handling the massive ship in high winds (which seems to have destroyed many airships)

-finding enough helium to keep the envelopes topped up (Helium leaks thru just about every sort of fabric and membrane and supplies of this rare gas are rapidly running out.)

• Informative 1

Hi OME,

I visit this site and RecFlying regularly but rarely post.  I prefer to just read what is going on.  I have to say that I have found many of your posts interesting and thought provoking and was disappointed when you went "missing" for a while as a result of the outcome of one of the "discussions".

My thoughts?  Leave sleeping dogs lie.  I find the best way to circumvent an argument is to deprive it of oxygen.

Cheers and I look forward to reading much more content from you.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1