Some things I can't explain

pmccarthy

I have been to some amazing places. One is in Western Australia, where I took many pictures including these four. The location was secret, known only to an old aboriginal man who had last seen it as a young man and relocated it by helicopter.

Picture 1 is a megalithic humanoid figure, my wife is standing behind it. It is maybe six metres tall and has two legs, hips, a torso and a head. It could be a natural formation, but seems to have been built up from blocks.

Picture 2 Is a painting on the roof of a cavern. It seems to have 3 dimensional qualities.

Picture 3 is a sandstone wall covered in symbols that look to me like pictographs, reminsicent of cuneiform or even heiroglyphs. This was in a more accessible location and the official explanation is it was spear sharpening. Nonsense, I see symbology. An obvious kangaroo footprint and complex characters, spear sharpening would not produce this.

Picture 4 is a vertical wall. It could be natural, but many of the joints in the blocks don't carry across the blocks.

Location 3 is better known, but I suspect that few people have ever seen the other location.

1-DSCF1614.JPG

2-DSCF1620.JPG

3-peter and anthea 3 029.JPG

4-DSCF1616.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

The planet is so old and has gone through so many major formation disruptions caused by volcanic activity, lava flows, wind, water, fire and endless hot and cold cycles - and deposition and removal via chemical reactions aided by water movement - that it doesn't surprise me that there are endless and amazing varieties of soil and rock formations. Add in human activity over however long humans of some type have existed on Earth, and you have a recipe for endless variations.

The bouncing stones of the beaches near Cairns and the tessellated pavements in various locations around the world are some of the most interesting formations I have encountered.

Then there's the incredible formation of gold deposits and nuggets. How can a huge nugget just appear in the Earth, when there's only finely dispersed gold in the areas around it?

It can only be due to chemical deposition aided by water movement, as huge nuggets are still being found daily in areas that have been tramped over for decades, by countless numbers of feet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gold_nuggets_by_size#:~:text=Considered by most authorities to,kg%3B 156.6 lb) net.

• Like 1

I remember reading one theory that, because gold has the ability to be held in solution, it was being shed in solution and forming into nuggets downstream. I don't know if it's ever been proven. Other theories that gold can work it's way upwards. I once read in the Encyclopedia Britannica about an experiment where a block of lead was placed on top of a small nugget. After a few years, the gold had worked it's way up in to the lead. An amazing metal. It's interesting to read the world records, such as the length of gold thread that an ounce can be stretched to. And also the  square foot/ metre size that an ounce can be beaten to. I find it amazing that they can beat it so thin that it becomes translucent.

• Like 1

Back to unusual rock formations. In 1988, we did a job on Legune Station in the Territory and were camped near limestone hills and formations. That was my first time ever inside limestone caves. On the fringe of the limestone rock area were some odd looking formations that looked like dwellings separate from the main body of rock. Very hard to describe without a photo, but they looked very much like Fred Flinstone's house. One of them could have easily been converted to a dwelling. All you would have to do is pour a concrete floor inside and frame the door and windows. And yes, it did have a door like opening at the entrance and window like holes in the walls. Under the sand, they would be part of the larger limestone body, and would have been exposed by wind erosion over the eons of time.

Another odd one was in W.A. I don't remember exactly where, but somewhere south of the highway near Camballin. It was rolling red sand and spinifex country with big spinifex flats. In one area, there were very small rock outcrops in the sand. One caught my eye as it was about 4' high and about 6' diameter. I walked over to it and saw a small opening at ground level as it was hollow inside. I had to lay down on the sand and wiggle the top part of my body into the hole to have a look. And lo and behold, on the inner walls and ceiling of this tiny little cavern were rock paintings. Bearing in mind, it was not the type of country rock paintings are normally found in. There was only a handful of rocky protrusions in the area and this one was the biggest. Most of them were the size of a soccer ball or small anthill. It was the weirdest rock painting find I've ever come across and was nowhere near any station tracks or roads, so I often wondered if anyone else had ever seen it. Even the station ringers could have ridden past it and possibly never been curious enough to poke their head inside it. The artist must have laid on his back in there for many hours painting away.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

3 hours ago, Yenn said:

I think No 2 is what is known as a Bradshaw. They are found in NW West Australia and supposedly pre date the aboriginals.

I suspect this continent has many secrets buried deep, especially offshore, where the coastline was long ago.

One aspects of archaeological research that’s probably a bit politically sensitive is the fascinating possibility that earlier species of humans reached our shores. Genetic studies are opening up new realms of possibilities.

9 hours ago, willedoo said:

...An amazing metal. It's interesting to read the world records, such as the length of gold thread that an ounce can be stretched to. And also the  square foot/ metre size that an ounce can be beaten to. I find it amazing that they can beat it so thin that it becomes translucent.

Long ago I used to hang around the workshop of a harpsichord maker. I once watched him apply gold leaf using traditional Baroque methods. After he’d stippled the gold film onto the glued surface, the residue just floated away in the breeze. 

• Informative 1

When I was a lad, I served a term
Winding back the clocks at a used car firm
I covered up the rust with a coat of clay,
And I fiddled with the steering of a Chevrolet
(He fiddled with the steering of a Chevolet)

I fiddled with the steering so very hard
That I became the owner of a used-car yard
(He fiddled with the steering so very hard
That he became the owner of a used-car yard)

But now my yard is empty all day,
People come /almost inaudible panting/ but they all go away
They go where used cars are the best
With seven days to prove and test
(With seven days to prove and test)

Ron Hodgson's deals there's no use fighting
'Cause Ron Hodgson puts his guarantees in writing

• Like 2
  • Haha 2