Cars and stars you may remember

red750

I received an email with 26 photos of classic cars, like the ones below, with stars or other famous personalities.

If you would like a copy, please PM me with your email address and I will forward it to you.

1932 Auburn car with Mary Doran

1937478785_1932Auburn.thumb.jpg.9c5383757cefc3f0233f0f6898d631d1.jpg

1932 Packard Twin Six 905 Coupe Roadstar with Clarke Gable.

411525000_1932PackardwithClarkeGable.thumb.jpg.ea2093ca0dc19d73687c6a6bd8f4b0dc.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you did  and I also lusted after US made "Heaps of Gleaming Chrome"  There wasn't a lot of anything good in the early 50's though except the Peugeot 203 which could handle Australia's (Lack of) good roads, remarkably well, proven in the Redex trials. Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, old man emu said:

Why don't you just jump into your Vauxhall and putter away? I'll give you the phone number for the AA. :amazon:

Not long after I moved here the first time (96/97), I read a Jeremy Clarkson peice on the Vauxhall Vectra 1.6l - in his words it was the most boring car inhe has head the displeasure of driving and should be a law against it for causing instant driver fatigue.. On a work trip, we rented one (they had no Mondeos left apparently), and I can't say I agree with him.. I was asleep at the wheel the whole way! My flip, it was an intolerably boring car to drive.

7 hours ago, facthunter said:

The rear coil sprung live axle XE could be set up as good as anything at the time. It was also relatively light. (Not including the Cleveland 5.8.)  THAT was in the 80's 25 years later. Nev

Remind me, how many XDs/XE's won Bathurst? :stirrer:

[edit to add:]

Mind you, my ol' VS Commodore exec (base model) with FE II Sports Suspension (in other words, stick a name on suspension that wasn't tempered properly and sell it as an extra) with a stock 3.8L Chev was great fun... I once got it up to 160kph on some back road outside Traralgon and it wwas flapping its tail like a caught fish... that was fun... not...

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

One mate owned a 1961 Vauxhall Cresta PA in the late 1960's, and he reckoned it was one of the best cars he ever owned. He claimed it was a real chick magnet, and he shagged himself senseless in it on regular occasions.

Another mate owned a 1953 Vauxhall Vagabond (convertible), which he flogged mercilessly as a callow youth. It was a great chariot, and I bet he's wishing he still had it now.

• Like 1

A lot of people had Vauxhall viva,s, the first of the made to die after a few years.

Problem was it didn,t make two years before parts fell off AND caused damage to following cars.

Five spot welds on the front guards, only two  got done on the production line,

same throughout the car.

spacesailor

The Citroen Pallas has one bolt holding  each of the rear mudguards on. Where mudguards were bolted on, on most cars they used about 5 bolts The structural loads were carried on the sub frame and it usually had about 3 bolts. at the front. The Viva was not the top line model It was just a simple cheap car. Mostly later Vauxhalls were Opels. General Motors don't usually make the company's they takeover into top of the line car makers. Vauxhalls in the late 20's were really classy and outstanding cars at the time that probably would in all fairness have gone broke had GM not stepped in and built mini cheapened Chev imitations. At least they were OHV's that had a chance of being economical.. Nev

Edited by facthunter

On 16/04/2021 at 10:18 PM, onetrack said:

One mate owned a 1961 Vauxhall Cresta PA in the late 1960's, and he reckoned it was one of the best cars he ever owned. He claimed it was a real chick magnet, and he shagged himself senseless in it on regular occasions.

I guess these days you'd only pick up the odd granny in a Vauxhall. The bowls club car park would be a good starting point.

• Haha 2