In Defence of Crows

willedoo

This year's rice crop in the Riverina might be lost due to ducks. A count in 2021 put their numbers at about one million, which was bearable. However, the floods of 2022 resulted in a population explosion and numbers are now estimated at four million. Apparently the ducks can destroy a complete bay of growing rice plants in a night. The usual deterrents like flashing lights and gas guns don't seem to have any effect to keep them away.

The Victorian government shortened the duck hunting season this year, for reasons I'll let you decide. I doubt if the usual numbers of duck hunters would have done much to reduce that 4 million population. I wonder how the vegans of Victoria will get on in 2024 when supplies of brown rice are low due to the duck's destruction of the crop.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Start eating then, Spacey! 1 down, 3,999,999 to go!!  :classic_biggrin:

I can recall when the Ord River farming area growers set out to grow rice, because the Ord River farming area is superb for growing rice, with massive water supplies, and a hot climate.

But as soon as the growers planted rice, the Magpie Geese turned up in their thousands and totally decimated the rice crops overnight. That was the end of the rice-growing on the Ord.

So then the growers went over to Sorghum growing - and guess what? Magpie Geese love sorghum, too!

They don't affect it hugely if its standing, but if any of the Sorghum gets knocked down a bit by storms, the Magpie Geese have a feast.

Surprisingly, they found they could "muster" them out of the Sorghum with a chopper.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-11-08/magpie-geese-mustered-by-crop-chopper-in-kimberleys-ord/9129542

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Your point being?

Actually I was having a dig at the usual suspects who care more for animals which destroy our food than their fellow humans. Those "usual suspects" live in cities and are consumers of agricultural produce, not producers. What would they do if those involved in agriculture demanded people stop using scarce resources to build office tower blocks and to generate the electricity to run them? 

I'm all for conservation of our unique flora and fauna, but if something goes out of balance steps must be taken to reinstate the equilibrium.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

Start eating then, Spacey! 1 down, 3,999,999 to go!!  :classic_biggrin:

I can recall when the Ord River farming area growers set out to grow rice, because the Ord River farming area is superb for growing rice, with massive water supplies, and a hot climate.

But as soon as the growers planted rice, the Magpie Geese turned up in their thousands and totally decimated the rice crops overnight. That was the end of the rice-growing on the Ord.

So then the growers went over to Sorghum growing - and guess what? Magpie Geese love sorghum, too!

They don't affect it hugely if its standing, but if any of the Sorghum gets knocked down a bit by storms, the Magpie Geese have a feast.

Surprisingly, they found they could "muster" them out of the Sorghum with a chopper.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-11-08/magpie-geese-mustered-by-crop-chopper-in-kimberleys-ord/9129542

Sooo... what do Magpie Geese taste like, then?  Sounds better than rice or sorghum!

• Like 2

No wonder the population explodes.  The mother duck on our dam has 5 ducklings (down from 11, she's not much of a mother).

But ducks can lay eggs for about 8 years.

So to maintain a population each breeding pair only has to produce 2 viable ducklings which live to adulthood, in their life.  Anything more than that and the population increases.  If this one's average is maintained at 5 per year for her entire breeding life, that's 40, or 20 times more than she needs.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

12 hours ago, spacesailor said:

In the fifties the kids ,were catching geese  for the shop-owner , who wrung their necks very. Quickly. 

He then sold the goose back to our mothers , who took that " penny reward  " off us to pay for what we had caught . NO " ration stamps " used .

spacesailor

Soooo... you catch the goose, you get paid 1 penny by the shopkeeper, the shopkeeper sold it to your mother (for more than 1 penny) and your mother took your penny off you anyway.

Why didn't you just give the goose to your mother and save money?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

We got more geese than we told mum.

SO had a couple of pennies left. Geese shit like ( small ) dogs . Thro Not small enough.  LoL

AND mums  do Not wring any ones neck ( lucky me )  but will sit over a bucket to pluck those feathers off the dinner ingredient.  ( didn't like ripping the skin off the bunny rabbits) .

spacesailor

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

One of my favourites is the Cattle Egret. I miss seeing them around since my lone cow died a year ago. She had her own personal egret who I had named Ernie. Ernie used to follow her everywhere and sit on her back when she was lying down. I guess Ernie has flown off and found another cow somewhere else.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I & the wife ,saw one today , and it's neck was ' wobbling ' ( between) it's head and body ).

Looked strange that the head didn't  move , just that neck, .

spacesailor

PS : also saw a Kookaburra,  an Eastern water dragon And a very large skin. 

Good walk on " settlers walk " .

• Like 2
  • Informative 1