ScMo gets lei'd

old man emu

I must admit I'm always happy to see him leave the country. It's just the returning bit that doesn't sit well. Holiday or not, the most damaging aspect of it for the PM is the sneaky and dishonest way it was done. Normally when the PM is overseas, the public is informed and told who will be acting PM. Not in this case; they thought nobody would notice. The second and worse part of it is the fact that the PM's department lied to media outlets when asked if he was in Hawaii. They said he wasn't when they knew he was. So will he sack some dishonest people in his department or just rely on public mass attention deficit disorder to make it go away.

It's hard to imagine someone of the quality of Jacinda Ardern doing something like this.  Admittedly, any emergency will be handled quite ok without politicians, but it's part of their job to be a figurehead in times of crisis. It was poor judgement and just beggars belief.

[ATTACH]50507._xfImport[/ATTACH]

scm.thumb.jpg.c6edcb91e98347ba90dae715856a3354.jpg

In terms of grabbing a fire hose, not much... but the moral support to theboots on the ground and the communities devastated - even of it is to allow then to vent their anger at the pollies for not doing enough - is very important and should not be underestimated. Whether one voted for him or not; whether one agrees/supports/thinks he's doing a good job or not, he is nominally the head of the country and the boss and should be there for timers of crisis. Comes part and parcel with the job, I'm afraid.

I think he was a slight victim of timing and I don't think he was slinking off as portrayed.. can hardly take your daughters on a surprise trip if you tell the whole world about it...

I am led to believe he was celebrating his 30th wedding anniversary and the trip was planned to take place in the new year but it had to be changed due to meetings with foreign leaders which coincided with the original planned date. Just what I have been told. 

I think he overplays the dad card a bit. Certainly his kids would have been disappointed if he postponed the holiday, but he is the leader of the country at a time when possibly hundreds of kids don't have their own home any more due to the fires. The figure is 800+ homes and climbing by the day.

[ATTACH]50509._xfImport[/ATTACH]

scomo_hawaii.thumb.jpg.b2fb88c87e7d404e7ff2b1c2170264f4.jpg

I bet there's a lot of volunteers whose plans have been a tad inconvenienced by the bushfires. 

When the community is struck by these savage blows of Nature, and people put the skills they obtained through their volunteering, and give up their usual sources of income in the name of community service, would it be wrong for the community, via the government, to make up the income they lost? 

If you revel in the adulations you also have to be around when the pressure is on and cop a few brickbats. he can reduce the hours the Parliament sits  but He's the PM all the time  He is still saying right now he won't change his climate policies. Not the time to be saying he WON'T change them???  Gotta appear TOUGH and unwavering under pressure., A few more disheartened Fire Chiefs despair, but they LIKE being in hot risky places if they know what's good for them. Nev

Where's that 'CYNICAL' button when I need it?

Cynical? - surely not on this forum.

But it just goes to show how a good idea can turn bad:

[ATTACH]50510._xfImport[/ATTACH]

' As the troops are fiercely sprayin’,

Scomo flies above ‘em Prayin’’

For a PM’s life has pleasures,

That the townsfolk never know. '

[ATTACH]50511._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50512._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50513._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Scott-Morrison-pacific-islands.thumb.jpg.3b63fc9e2647c428e51f5fa230e3af8b.jpg

scomo-hawaii-x571.thumb.jpg.601855b75b5b8fd4115f2468c266ed04.jpg

bar_resort-news-1024x589.thumb.jpg.7e7ce4ae1abb9f66f1f2bfcd1f5c91b0.jpg

fff.thumb.jpg.e4fa11d978821340c95f3c4dd364cfbb.jpg

Jeez that conservative rump must have his balls in a vice - for a man who supposedly is "pragmatic" and "tuned into the zeitgeist", to come back and say that the government won't be changing it's climate change policy is a very big risk.

Public opinion is firming up on this matter, helped by weeks of smoke-filled air over Sydney, 900 homes lost and packs of fire chiefs and scientists making the link loudly and clearly.  Yet ScoMo stands on his hind legs and says "we won't change".

I think he should go back to Hawaii and stay there.  We need a leader who will actually lead.

Jeez that conservative rump must have his balls in a vice - for a man who supposedly is "pragmatic" and "tuned into the zeitgeist", to come back and say that the government won't be changing it's climate change policy is a very big risk.

Public opinion is firming up on this matter, helped by weeks of smoke-filled air over Sydney, 900 homes lost and packs of fire chiefs and scientists making the link loudly and clearly.  Yet ScoMo stands on his hind legs and says "we won't change".

I think he should go back to Hawaii and stay there.  We need a leader who will actually lead.

Don't worry Marty, Scott from Marketing will handle it.