For the train nerds - High speed trains

octave

TRAMS & TRAINS.

Just put the wires back up for the TROLLEYbuses, Sydney has been Crippled by the road to rail upgrade.

If the trams were such a good thing, Why did they get the boot, in most large cities.

spacesailor

Demise and closure[edit]

spacer.png

Last day of trams, covered in graffiti, Rural Bank tram stop, corner Martin Place and Elizabeth Street, 25 February 1961

By the 1920s, the system had reached its maximum extent. In many ways, the Sydney tram system was a victim of its own success. The overcrowded and heaving trams running at a high frequency, in competition with growing private motor car and bus use, ended up being blamed for the congestion caused by the latter.

Competition from the private car and unregulated private bus operators created the perception of traffic congestion which begun the gradual closure of lines from the late 1930s.

Material shortages and lack of funding caused by the Second World War had caused the system to become rundown from poor maintenance. The perception of the government was that the financial cost of upgrading infrastructure and purchasing new trams would bankrupt the state.

This led to the government calling on overseas transport experts to advise the city on its post-war transport issues, and this led to the recommendation that closure of the system was the best option for the state of NSW.

Closure was supported by the NRMA [11](who stood to gain from increased membership) but generally went against public opinion as most of the patronage were those who could not afford to purchase private transportation.

Nevertheless, closure became government policy in the early 1950s and the system was wound down in stages, with withdrawal of the services completed on 25 February 1961 when R1 class tram 1995 returned from La Perouse to Randwick Workshops just before 4:40pm on 25 February 1961, which was driven by Jerry Valek, a Czechoslovakian man from Annandale.[12][13][14][15][16]

It was alleged after the tramways were closed that were many other influences on the government to close down the system. These allegedly came from the rubber and petrol industries, motor vehicle (bus) manufacturers and those opposed to increased public expenditure. The allegations had some elements based on the General Motors streetcar conspiracy that occurred in the USA due to the use of "overseas experts".

TRUE

BUT now, to convert a IC powered BUS, needs only one motor out, & one Electric motor in. a big motor compered to the size of a Designed for electric vehicle. 

But

As we will have a huge Solar power surplus (OFFpeak) there will be a place for all the solar panels, to power our New transport system !.

spacesailor

[ATTACH]50341._xfImport[/ATTACH]

trolleybus.jpg.76757ed6ed1ef937c46e39c56e03b791.jpg

Melbourne still has an extensive tram and light rail network, free in the CBD, and keep getting new and better trams, although today the tram drivers are on strike for four hours for a 6% pay increase. We have a tramline to Vermont South shopping centre, and there has been talk for a couple of years of extending it to Knox City.

spacer.png

There are raised platform super stops along the routes, matching the low floor trams, making it easier for wheelchair passengers.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the trolley buses of London with pleasure. they had the advantage of trams, with the advantage of buses. They could pick up and drop off passengers at the kerb, they accelerated far faster than a normal bus, they were quiet, but sadly the powers that be got rid of them. They would be ideal for our use in cities and big towns.

Dublin city, Ireland, has a nice tram network too.

Pity I can't use it ! I don't speak/read gaelic. ( they'r pushing Their language a lot).

Leaves us Foreigners at a loss. 

spacesailor

As far as I know the only Gaeltacht areas in Ireland are over on the west coast - at least it was when we were living there.  Everywhere else has dual-language signs, including Dublin.

I don't understand why Sydney decided to go back to light rail (trams). The disruption and time to lay down a few km of track has been ridiculous not to mention the massive blow out in costs and the failure of the contract with the Spanish mob cost them more millions. Putting in overhead cables and opting for trolley busses while simultaneously banning private cars from the CBD areas would have been a better option in my opinion.

I just picked up a couple of friends who returned from 2 months overseas. They travelled Sweden, Norway France Italy, and Britain by train. they commented that the British trains were nowhere near as good as those on the continent. Slower, but much faster than they used to be and always lots of cancellations or delays.

I went from London to Glasgow by train in 1974. It did 100mph. I remember looking out the window at cars on the M1 at 70mph & we were tearing past them all. I have no idea what speed they travel at today. There are some very fast trains in Europe.

• 5 weeks later...