Illegal Immigrants ? ? ? ? ?

Phil Perry

Heap of shredded reputationsshreddded

I asked earlier if anyone had readEdmund Barton's Australia day speach? Here it is.....An Australia Day message from Prime Minister Edmund Barton

spacer.png

Here's a message from our very first Prime Miniter, Sir Edmund Barton.

This is his idea about immigrants and being an Australian in 1907.

My, how times have changed.

• "In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an Australian and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin.

But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an Australian, and nothing but an Australian...

There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an Australian, but something else also, isn't an Australian at all.

We have room for but one flag, the Australian flag....

We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the Australian people.'

• Edmund Barton 1907

Hat Tip: Anne Jackson

Hang about...I smell a fraud. There are a fee historical inconsistencies here...to be subtle.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it was closer to the time and people were more aware, but those people were conquered by the British.

As long as you are happy with your own version of our history...as opposed to the reality. Qld wasn't much populated until last century..when were the Maralinga tests...1950s? When did indigenous get recognition as people? 1967?

No mate. Mostly this ignorance springs from a very narrow experience...being well travelled means nothing if you don't experience the journey.

Going to have to disagree there in regard to the first bit, While I'd have to agree that some prejudice is gained during one's upbringing, a hell of a lot is gained through one's life experiences, in fact I have a few, that I know I certainly didn't have through school or growing up. Get bitten once, you get wary, twice or more, and you lose any trust, human or not.

Well, the term "ILLEGAL" immigrants is a term coined by our newly minted Liberal coalition government - ther really is no such thing in legislation when applying it to refugees.And of course, they have NO licence to freely and with no consequence break our laws - no one has that right.

Look - if you agree with the premise that they shouldnt be paid, that's fine - Take that up with your local federal member, and become a more participatory member of our democracy.

I am not arguing a position for or against - I am trying to show the depths our "leaders" will take us to, and ask people to become informed, before blindly repeating political speak from our masters, or rehashing urban myths.[/quot

WTF this is an aviation forum not a political one go else where with this.

Ah we'll..... Maybe we should just bury our heads in the sand and leave all the problems to our children and grandchildren. I'm sure those who have fought in wars past would be grateful to be told that all they have done was for nought.

That is exactly what you are doing.

How so ? Im for immigration, but in the manner that was implied by our first Prime minister. Any other way is showing a lack

of respect for our country and our constitution. How dare someone come into our country and expect us to change our culture and ways to make them feel at home. Im in no way racist, but im not ashamed to say that I am very predjudist against those who are trying to change this countries way of life and its laws to turn us into another grovelling and backwards 3rd world country with archaic rules and laws that are pro male, and rely on some religious fanatic to tell us how to live and die.

I'M AN AUSTRALIAN AND PROUD OF IT, and not once have I tried to pressure any of my countrymen to change their ways to make me feel more Australian.

Thus ends my rant...........

I am not really sure what "Australian Culture" is. I think if you asked 10 people you'd get 10 different answers & as more than 25% of Australians were born overseas that is hardly surprising. If you ask someone overseas they will more than likely give you an answer based on some stereotype like Paul Hogan, Barry McKenzie or Steve Irwin. i.e. A beer swilling, foul mouthed, beach & BBQ fanatic, crocodile wrestler, wearing stubbies & thongs. We have a very rich mixture of cultures from all over the world which provides great diversity and colour to our society & I would not for one minute want to take this away.

What I think, is that we must preserve or secular system of separation of church/mosque/temple from government. Extremist views are usually from small disaffected minorities but get a very high profile from the press & those who like pointing sticks. They need to be dealt with quickly & effectively & the press should not sensationalise such issues. Interestingly the vast majority of such extremists are in fact Australian born. They are seen to belong to one group or another, be it a religion such as Islam or an ethnic group such as Lebanese, so everyone in those groups gets tarred with the same brush.

thread is a pretty good source for exposing extremists...ironically they accuse the Muslims but seem blind to their own slipping morality. What's with that?

So I take it your keen for a bit of muslim morality,,,cause that's where it's heading , again there is a deafening silence from the non religious on this,,,,try banning abortions, the pill, condoms, or making a plethora of catholic doctrines law and there would be riots in the street ,but the same people are crying out to be tolerant of a cult that practises some barbaric rites,,,,,I can only put down to cowardice , it's dangerous to say anything against the muslim cult , nice and easy to be nice and easy.

The facts are,,,it's over for any infidel in this country anyway, we don't breed enough kids, within a few generations our government will be muslim simply cause they have more kids ,so it make sense to not rock the boat ,no pun intended,

Matty

Racism is based on ignorance and a lack of intelligence and education. In the 2006 census 1.7% of Australians identified as Muslim. Muslims are diverse in beliefs and backgrounds with some deep divisions between certain groups, similar to most other area of society. Yes the birth rate of Muslims is higher then other religions in Australia. But at 1.7% its hardly a concern, especially when you consider the vast vast majority are very peaceful, hardworking and happy to live just like "Australians " . Even with a birth rate of double which is an exaggeration it would take 100 year to reach 10% of the population.

What stops Muslims integrating as well as many would like is racism, prejudice and ignorance. Not the fanatical beliefs of a few.

Muslims do need to be proactive and contribute to the eradication and law enforcement of fanatical elements from within, but the effects of tolerance acceptance and inclusion from non Muslims will have a much more powerful effect. Marginalisation and racism only contribute to all the factors that racism mocks.

Zoos, that's one of my points, I don't have any problem with anyone , I'm not at all racist( for the less intelligent Islam is a religion not a race) but when the small number of Muslims lob on the telly with their hate filled doctrine you never hear of the majority standing up and saying NO we don't want this,,,,it's silence, and that's the problem ,you can be peaceful and still take a stand against something that's wrong ,,,,or as seems to be the way ,,shutup say nothing !

Islam isn't a peaceful religion,,,,,a lot of the people are peaceful ,kind happy family people ( would that be a fair description of the Aussie culture) but when they stand by silently while some evil bastard sprouts crap in on their behalf they have a stake in the pain caused by their cult,,,,unfair you say ,,,,how many would trust a catholic priest with their kids, and yet it's a very small number that were/are evil( and before you ask I am not catholic ,they just make good examples ),,,

Matty