Another 'Vehicle' incident in Sydney

Phil Perry

Could terrorists hack them to cause mayhem as in London or Bourke St.?

It's a valid concern, but terrorists have proven willing to put themselves in the driving seat anyway. Overall I think driverless cars will reduce the road toll.

Interesting question of liability though. If a driverless car crashes and kills someone, who is held accountable? The owner wasn't in control. The manufacturer? The programmer of the software?

Could terrorists hack them to cause mayhem as in London or Bourke St.?

Perhaps we should have stuck to horses and carts. Every new technology brings cost and benefits. Personally, I am glad to live in a time and place that affords me a life expectancy and level of personal safety that has never existed before.

If we don't know who to sue, it'll never catch on....

I know, I know, it sounds like a petty concern.

But I bet stuff like this is considered by tech companies. "If we make this, and it kills people, and we're liable, what will it do to our bottom line? Hell, we better shelve that plan til the laws are clear..."

I was not joking.The liability issue must be resolved

Of course. This is being pondered and worked on. I suspect that driverless cars are some way off due to technological challenges and of course the legal implications. Many new technologies bring benefits as well as new problems. It is interesting to ponder what will happen when driverless cars attain a level of safety that exceeds manually driven cars. At this point perhaps we may find it too expensive and too legally risky to drive our own cars.

We have gone from walking everywhere to riding horses to travelling at 700 mph in an airliner which is partially controlled by computers. I think technology and legal/liability procedures will continue to progress.

Trains go on rails and they still have drivers. Aircraft have had autopilots for decades and they still do silly things even though they have more than one operating.

.People DO drive abominably because they are not paying due attention. Uber folks are doing all their booking s while driving. Others talk and twitter , get angry easily and are generally in a big hurry to get nowhere. (Impatient).. Country driving accidents have had a sharp rise this year in Victoria.. ALL vehicles have much more power than they used to have, but generally I don't blame the vehicles. except for poor visibility (Thick pillars) becoming general. (for strength). Nev

... I don't blame the vehicles. except for poor visibility (Thick pillars) becoming general. (for strength). Nev

One of my pet peeves, Nev. The A pillars of most cars are far thicker than they need to be.

Recently as I approached a busy intersection I nearly pulled out in front of a ute towing a trailer. It was totally obscured by my A pillar.

The only A pillar I know of which is narrower than the distance between your eyes is the 72 Holden- and I'm not aware they were lacking in roof strength.

"It's a valid concern, but terrorists have proven willing to put themselves in the driving seat anyway. "Overall I think driverless cars will reduce the road toll."

YES of course driverless vehicles will have a road-toll reduction,

Just like CASA puts impediments to stop people flying, then people that drive for Pleasure will NOT be on the road.

I stopped motorcycling when that Headgear law was enacted. But enjoyed the seat-belt restraint.

As for improvements in engine power, They're very poor when looking at High performance engines., the two main aircraft engines haven't been twicked since the TITANIC sank. Rotax almost the same (not quite).

New Fuel for a new engine, THEN we'll see improvements.

Electricity IS second hand fuel !, something has to be used to create it, My solar panel makes 12 volts, I convert it to 240 volts to run a "Battery-Charger" for a 12 volt battery ( needing that long extension lead to go the distance, Crazy isn't it.

spacesailor