Spelling

dazza 38

We are Aussies and we speak slang so why not spell slang, as long as you get the gist of what is written there should be no problem.Not everyone is (edjumacated) or educated to the same level and that comes down to our schools and the quality of our teachers and number of students per classroom and to the student himself who is probably texting/facebooking instead of learning in the classroom.

It is the sign of our times, my entertainment when I was young was out in the bush building log cabins, riding bikes and getting dirty and hanging out with my mates.

These days the modern teenager couldn't change a tube in a bike tyre but sure as sh!t can fix a computer or wiz through an iPhone as though it was nothing while I sit there going WTF how did he do that.

Point taken though Daryl, I for one have a few at times but I cannot look at the screen and type otherwise you would think I was talking Chinese.

Alf (slang and short for Alfred)

I don't understand the text type thing. I know they do it because it is quicker than spelling words correctly. But I don't understand what they are saying, I'm not sure what language it is, but it certainly isn't English . It all looks like gibberish to me.spacer.png

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about Aussie slang. When I was working for BAE in England. One of my English course mates said to me " Why do all you Australians have letter O added to most of your names ". I said- What do you mean ? He said- Well you have Johno, Davo , Bretto, even Camo instead of Cameron. I said- I dunno.spacer.png

Talking about Aussie slang. When I was work for BAE in England. One of my English course mates said to me " Why do all you Australians have letter O added to most of your names ". I said- What do you mean ? He said- Well you have Johno, Davo , Bretto, even Camo instead of Cameron. I said- I dunno.spacer.png

South Africans are more effeminate replacing the o with y or ie

Some of you guys think I know F#ck Nothin. I've been taking notice of what's said here and now I'm telling you I now know F#ck ALL!. Nev

FH,

At least your honest:oh yeah:

I can bet you have forgotten more about aviation than what most of us know.

Don't be so hard on yourself, that is our job:buddies:

Alf

Alf, I think the quote was originally attributed to an immigrant ( Italian or Chinese) with emphasis to the "nothing" and "all," rather than the naughty word. Nino Cullota showed that the first words some immigrants pick up are the swear words. (Which of course I never use)..ha ha . Nev

Poor spelling bugs me at times as well and when there is a built in spell checker in any word processor and in most browsers, there is no excuse. You often have to use the options or settings to change from American English which is the default, to English UK, South Africa, Australia Canada or NZ. In Google Chrome you can use any one of them as the spell checker. Otherwise everything you spell correctly that is different to American spelling will be underlined in red.

I don't really know what the difference is between UK, Australian or NZ English as they all seem to be the same & completely different to American English. Grammar, well that is another thing. Some people think it is their mothers' mother.

Poor spelling bugs me at times as well and when there is a built in spell checker in any word processor and in most browsers, there is no excuse. You often have to use the options or settings to change from American English which is the default, to English UK, South Africa, Australia Canada or NZ. In Google Chrome you can use any one of them as the spell checker. Otherwise everything you spell correctly that is different to American spelling will be underlined in red.

I don't really know what the difference is between UK, Australian or NZ English as they all seem to be the same & completely different to American English. Grammar, well that is another thing. Some people think it is their mothers' mother.

Although the first settlers of the USA were mostly British, from the 1500's to the late 1700's they were virtually cut off from Britain, while Britain expanded its day to day contact with a variety of other countries.

So UK English changed substantially, while US English remained pure to the 1500's and they continued to use words like center, where in Britain it was topical to use centre. The US pronunciation and drawl is also more pure than the current British.

Bill Bryson wrote a great book about this called "Made in America"; he's one of the most entertaining writers I've read and his books are sprinkled with gems like this one from "The Lost Continent".

"Feeling self conscious I went into a dark place called Vern's Tap and took a seat at the bar. I was the only customer, apart from an old man in the corner with only one leg. The barmaid was friendly. She wore butterfly glasses and a beehive hairdo. You could see in an instant that shehad been the local good-time girl since about 1931. She had 'Ready for Sex' written all over her face, but 'Better Bring a Paper Bag' written all over her body. Somehow she had managed to pour her capacious backside into some tight red toreador pants and to stretch a clinging blouse over her bosom. She looked as if she had dressed in her granddaughter's clothes by mistake. She was about sixty. I could see why the guy with one leg had chosen to sit in the farthest corner"

I wouldn't say I'm keen on the text typing the youths use but I have found it useful, while getting thrown around in turbulence texting a mate with a private strip it is heaps easier to do "R U home", he knew what I meant!

We haven't been taken over by the Moslems just yet.t

Maybe I'm over reacting to this, but I would much rather see the spelling mistakes than to see comments like that. I'm an atheist and I'm deeply ashamed to be a member of a forum where thoughts like that are stated openly and nobody seems willing to speak out against it.

first they came...