Spelling

dazza 38

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dazza 38 not sure if it is you that is a bit slow mate but you seem to me to be the only person who gives a fark about the spelling so build a bridge mateWhilst on the subject maybe you could get a grammar check going

Why would anyone worry about a spell check when we have you to look out for us ?

Keep up the great trolling long live the spelling Police

If I was you, I would be more worried about what your useless plane is worth rather than having a crack at me.

Not always. I did wrote a big tender, spell checked the lot, then got someone else to proof read it. There were still about 10 mistakes - typos mainly like "and" instead of "an", and if you use an american spell check you'll have several mistakes usually.

I'm curious as to why some people have been dropping the "n" off "an" when using it before a vowell (short)

I caught a cold: the a is pronounced "u"

However when the next word starts with a vowel an "n" is added to smooth the sentence, yet we see:

I ate a apple

I boiled a egg

I found a igneous rock

I peeled a orange

I found a umpire

Read it out loud and you'll see what I mean

I ate an apple etc, sounds much smoother in speech, and the reader is also able to read it more fluently.

That's what I learned at school.When did reporters start using terms like " an historical event"?

I know a user of this site that doesn't have a high or even moderate level of education and command of the English language but posted away to the best of his ability until one day he got attacked...he doesn't post any more and he is one of the nicest guys around...pity

......Not a capital offence, but apparently it looks messy to any grammarian ( can I invent that word please ? ) .....

Phil

Sorry PHIL, but the old French and the Middle English beat you to that word. It is recorded as far back as 1340 according to the Oxford.

But I did find a signature phrase for our occasionally grumpy, but deeply sensitive honorary grammarian Dazza:

"It is no secret that the sensitive

grammarian

leads a deeply troubled life."

Yours to use Dazza, as you feel fit. Hope the beer's cold.

I know a user of this site that doesn't have a high or even moderate level of education and command of the English language but posted away to the best of his ability until one day he got attacked...he doesn't post any more and he is one of the nicest guys around...pity

I could not agree more. It worries me on a forum when people pick up on what is obviously an intelligent and well meaning comment because someone my not have the same ability to verbalise something as the person doing the picking. Some of us may have the benefit of a silver spoon education, where other may have gained theirs through the school of hard knocks. To belittle someone because of their ability to verbilise in imho nothing short of typical school yard Bullying and in fact many cases it is discrimintory. (And before anyone picks me up on my spelling of discrimintory, I am sure it is not spelled correctly but I have no idea how to spellcheck on my Ipad and I am not in a place where a dictionary is readily available to me).

I can give a perfect example of a discrimination case that fits this picture if anyone is interested, but will not bore you unless asked.

If I was you, I would be more worried about what your useless plane is worth rather than having a crack at me.

Do you actually own an aeroplane of any description? Not talking about models.

I'm going to hazard a guess here - the acidity of your posts are directly proportional to your blood/alcohol concentration. JUST SAYIN!

Do you actually own an aeroplane of any description? Not talking about models.I'm going to hazard a guess here - the acidity of your posts are directly proportional to your blood/alcohol concentration. JUST SAYIN!

Ah here we go, another Jab jockey having a crack at me. You only get what you pay for, there isn't such thing as a cheap new aeroplane and you guys are paying the price for thinking they exist.

Not that it is any of your business but I have owned a couple of different aircraft. Ones that had real aircraft engines.

Plus you don't know anything about me so I suggest you pull your head in.

Dazza take some of your own advice unless that is you know what my plane is and what it is worth.

If you are referring to the picture/avatar you are extremely judgemental an no where near reality as when I first come onto this forum I chose to use it.

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Time to move on in this forum I think you are at an all time low

Dazza take some of your own advice unless that is you know what my plane is and what it is worth.If you are referring to the picture/avatar you are extremely judgemental an no where near reality as when I first come onto this forum I chose to use it.

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Time to move on in this forum I think you are at an all time low

Nah I think I will hang around just to watch you Jab jockeys have a cry.

Perhaps too many posts for moderator to take action against poor old Dazza.

(New line) I have tried to be as literate as possible with my 7th grade education.spacer.png

However, I reckon he should stop abusing his fellow forum members for their opinions on this site.

PHIL.

Perhaps too many posts for moderator to take action against poor old Dazza.(New line) I have tried to be as literate as possible with my 7th grade education.spacer.png

However, I reckon he should stop abusing his fellow forum members for their opinions on this site.

PHIL.

He seems to be attacked more than he attacks, and is mostly retaliating.

He also tends to pick up lazy spelling rather than belt anyone who has an obviously poor education.

A couple of peeves:

On radio, when responding to the interviewer, "So .......blah blah blah" So is so out of place there.

On radio, a report into something. Should be a report about something.

I agree with that one PM, . . . The "So" thing appeared on uk tv and radio interviews / scientific expert reports quite recently, why these presumably otherwise intelligent people seem to think that this is a neat way to begin a sentence I'm not sure. I guess the language is evolving.

Anyway, I vote we keep all the spelling and grammar whinges confined to this thread, so that it doesn't annoy the carp out of others, as it obviously is doing.

Better still,. . . . change the subject

Phil

I agree with that one PM, . . . The "So" thing appeared on uk tv and radio interviews / scientific expert reports quite recently, why these presumably otherwise intelligent people seem to think that this is a neat way to begin a sentence I'm not sure. I guess the language is evolving.

Anyway, I vote we keep all the spelling and grammar whinges confined to this thread, so that it doesn't annoy the carp out of others, as it obviously is doing.

Better still,. . . . change the subject

Phil

Nah, nah. I'm OK with "So" In the quoted context it is a pause filler, like, you know, "um" or "OooohKaaay" - OK?

Nah, nah. I'm OK with "So" In the quoted context it is a pause filler, like, you know, "um" or "OooohKaaay" - OK?

Hi Col, . . . . Yep !. . . it IS a good pause filler. But not a statement beginner . . .( ! )

Anyway Dazza,. . . . shall we start a really interesting new thread entitled something like "Latest evolution of the language" or perhaps we can teach the younger kids some of the old slang, or would that be too daggy ?

Phil

"crap"

That's what I MEAN,. . . carp ! ! Listen, I'm an instructor with the DNA ( national dyslexsic association ) Dyslexia, as you know, is "Word Blindness" The patterns and squiggles which make up text don't make sense to someone with that condition, even though they normally are very intelligent in all other respects. . . one example was a chap who was on a working weekend at a fruit farm. I said to him, what did you pick in the end mate? he said, er, some greens, about ten big baskets of yellows, then there were hundreds of those purples . . . . I realised immediately that the poor guy was fruitblind. . .

( Plagiarised from a Brisbane daily newspaper strip cartoon called BC Big wheel, in 1981 )

Is Dazza38 a short guy?seen it before ,just sayin,didn't pass the test?...

I am 180 cm tall and I was a Aircraft technician in the RAAF , Crew chief for BAE systems on Tornado jets and then I became a commercial pool plumber in the high rise construction industry.

What's your claim to fame ?