Spelling

dazza 38

I don't want to sound picky. But some basic words and aircraft names seem to spelt incorrectly. Or words that sound the same are spelt differently in Aviation.

examples-

It is Aircraft HANGAR not hanger

HYDRAULIC not the 10 different ways I have seen it spelt here.

TECNAM not Technam

a classic, it is GAUGE not Guage as seems to be spelt incorrectly a lot.

SENSENICH propellers- not I will guess what the spelling is.

And this is just a small sample. This is Australia and we use the English spelling. It isn't that hard. If people are not that good at spelling, no problem. Use spell check.

We haven't been taken over by the Moslems just yet.

End of Rant

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or we could go for some spelling reform

It probably used to be a HANGER, a place to hang your flying Helmet

How about HIGHDROLLIK.

TECNAM is a brand name even if they can't spell

GAJE sound good to me

SENSENICH really should be SENSENIK

English/US spelling is absurd and is a handown from people who couldn't or didn't care - in a way it was a form of apartheid - keep the peasants guessing. The dictionary compilers merely reported English as it was used, sometimes choosing the best of badly spelled words, and sometimes the worst. Sometimes there was an attempt to Frencify words, other times give it a Latin twist and all they did was bugger up logical English spelling.

That which is far worse than spelling is grammar (not pumpkin) and punctuation. This also includes sentences which are far too long and wander from topic to topic with no logical articulation.

I appreciate a word spelled well but the transmission of ideas come from a higher level, through grammar, bugger that and you bugger communications.

Cheers

Col

I wouldn't let it bother you that much Dazz. . . .

We have a similar situation in the UK, "HANGER" for sale, is a notice regularly seen on our club board. And with all the "Kids" barstardising the beautifully expressive English language steadily to "TEXT-SPEAK" which, as I'm sure you are aware, consists of abbreviated words which are much quicker to type; I genuinely worry how future generations will end up communicating.

I had a very painful ( at times ) childhood with reference to the English language in general, as my Mother was a teacher of English Grammar and literature in a "Grammar" school, and used to hit me over the back of the neck with a wet teatowel when I failed to use the correct spelling, or grammar for the particular situation. I understand completely what you are saying, but I think you have to give people more leeway if they are not, or apparently not terribly good at gerring it rite all the time.

I know a few brilliant engineers whose spelling is atrocious, but it doesn't appear to detract from their obvious ability to carry out their profession to a very high standard. As Col has pointed out above, grammar and sentence contruction are also reasonably important, but I feel that this is not really always the case particularly in a forum situation where someone is using a connected series of statements or arguments in an attempt to establish a point which he or she feels is neccessary and in context with the general thrust of that particular discussion.

Not only this, but I've noticed a few posters for whom English is obviously not their primary tongue, so this should also be taken into consideration before stones are cast.

Phil

Aren't they Muslims?

Either Moslem or Muslim are both correct . It is like Tyre /Tire or Licence/License. Gale force winds /Gail force winds. UK English and American English are always going to be mixed and matched.

I do agree with Col. The English language is absurd. Look at they're, there, their as a example.

Guest GraemeM

My kids know never to text or email me in Text=Speak. The penalty is they have to pay back all the money I spent on their education.

I feel if some person is worth the effort to message them then take a moment more and do it properly with courtesy.

Graeme.

When this text speak first evolved I was thinking WTF ? Are these young people that dumb. I hate it, it looks so stupid. Example - I dunno M8 cus I can't spell. How hard is it to type in mate instead of m8, or cause instead of cus. It isn't that difficult .

I am glad that text speak/spelling isn't used on this forum.

PS- Hi Phil, you have mentioned above that some posters here do not have English as their primary language. I have actually found them to be very good at spelling. Better that some people who have English as the primary and only language.

When this text speak first evolved I was thinking WTF

I dunno Dazza, which would be the lesser of the two evils, someone who is challenged in the literacy area but is still here contributing, or someone who clearly has it down pat but can't be bothered thinking of a better way to express themselves than "WTF"

Regards Bill

.... Look at they're, there, their as a example.

The funny thing about that is that if you try to learn a language like Chinese, one symbol (sound) when spoken has different meanings too, yet most people nominate this aspect as the most difficult to come to terms with when learning the language...

When this text speak first evolved I was thinking WTF ? Are these young people that dumb. I hate it, it looks so stupid. Example - I dunno M8 cus I can't spell. How hard is it to type in mate instead of m8, or cause instead of cus. It isn't that difficult .I am glad that text speak/spelling isn't used on this forum.

PS- Hi Phil, you have mentioned above that some posters here do not have English as their primary language. I have actually found them to be very good at spelling. Better that some people who have English as the primary and only language.

Dazza: Couldn't agree more with you M8! What annoys me is when people don't proof read what they've posted before they press the button. Should that have read "Better than"?

Moral of the story:Let him without sin cast the first stone......

Careful what you guys say about us kids :-D

I agree though as most of my mates reply to me in "text-language". Even when I do understand them, I find it mildly annoying that they fail to spend a few more seconds completing words. Just like they probably think I'm an idiot for writing out whole words...

Dazza: Couldn't agree more with you M8! What annoys me is when people don't proof read what they've posted before they press the button. Should that have read "Better than"?

Moral of the story:Let him without sin cast the first stone......

Just a typo. spacer.png

I dunno Dazza, which would be the lesser of the two evils, someone who is challenged in the literacy area but is still here contributing, or someone who clearly has it down pat but can't be bothered thinking of a better way to express themselves than "WTF"Regards Bill

WTF is used extensively on forums. Mainly because What the f*ck (sic) is frowned upon .spacer.png

We are Aussies and we speak slang so why not spell slang, as long as you get the gist of what is written there should be no problem.

Not everyone is (edjumacated) or educated to the same level and that comes down to our schools and the quality of our teachers and number of students per classroom and to the student himself who is probably texting/facebooking instead of learning in the classroom.

It is the sign of our times, my entertainment when I was young was out in the bush building log cabins, riding bikes and getting dirty and hanging out with my mates.

These days the modern teenager couldn't change a tube in a bike tyre but sure as sh!t can fix a computer or wiz through an iPhone as though it was nothing while I sit there going WTF how did he do that.

Point taken though Daryl, I for one have a few at times but I cannot look at the screen and type otherwise you would think I was talking Chinese.

Alf (slang and short for Alfred)