Another rant.

Phil Perry

I abandoned the TV licence three years ago, because I could not,. . .in all conscience accept having to pay for being Lied to daily. although occasionally I have cheated, watching the odd thing at someone else's place more by accident than intention.

I do not miss it at all. I am happier for not watching stuff I have no control over, in an alternative world where truth is lies and vice versa.

I do not think it does any good to expose your mind to a world built on falsehood - you just get fatigued from being constantly at odds with the appearances that are propagated. It's not as if I do nothing - I try to read, books and articles which reflect a truthful universe and therefore can be imaginative in an honest way, or humorous in a way which is impossible if you are simultaneously lying.

The mark of this world we now live in is not so much that we are lied to - that has happened from time beyond memory, I think. It is (and this is a true mark of totalitarianism) that we ourselves are forced to lie - every day, every minute we engage with those who rule us or their proxies in the media or the education and enforcement agencies.

We are forced to collude in constant, dreary, mind-numbing, soul-destroying falsehood. Lie piled upon lie - gender, race, colour, age, religion; discrimination, rights, diversity, cohesion, division, hate-speech; our NHS, our armed forces, our democracy; far-right, moderate, fascist, Nazi.. Every significant tool of discourse has been turned into a vehicle for falsification, and a threat to those who do not immediately conform. We are turned against our deepest selves, alienated not only from the fruits of our labour, but from any possibility of personal integrity. We are turned into machines whose values are the values of a deeper slavery than could possibly have been imagined just a century ago.

Some of this is nicked from my mate Stuart, from a post I made last week on another site. . . .which was deleted fifteen minutes after I posted it. ( No reason given ) . . . . .Some Fecking people just CANNOT handle the truth. . . .

End of rant.

Guess you choose whether to believe lies or not. I've always found that a bit of healthy skepticism goes a long way.

I don't think there's any higher proportion of untruth around than there ever was, it's just that there's a lot more voices in the public space than ever before. Politicians have always lied, that's nothing new. Pick your favourite pollie from any time in history and you'd be able to find a bunch of times they've either flat-out lied or obfuscated the truth. Hell, now we have a POTUS that lies a dozen times a day and when caught red-handed, blames the media.

The danger is the higher level of partisanship. We naturally gravitate towards voices that share our point of view and see them as "truth" and the opposing voices as "lies". This applies to every side of politics, religion, sports and whatever other subject you care to think of. Just that these days, whatever your particular beliefs are, there's a host of voices that not only agree with you but are more extreme than you.

I think the danger at the moment is the notion that if some news IS fake or more likely exaggerated, then why don't I just ignore ANYTHING that does not align with my beliefs and label it as fake news. To me, this is lame and unintelligent. Rather than proclaiming oooh there is so much fake news you can't believe anything perhaps people should get off your intellectual arses and do some actual fact-checking. I can not prove 100% that humans have landed on the moon but I can research multiple sources of quite reliable evidence therefore on balance I believe it to be true but of course, I am brave enough to accept new evidence to the contrary should it present itself. Phil, do you ever find yourself a little incredulous that all the fake news seems to be against things you politically agree with? The first thing I do when I read an article that seems to align with my beliefs is to look for evidence to disprove it.

As an exercise Phill perhaps you could consider this article Nigel Farage spread ‘fake news’. I know, because I took the real picture | Lasia Kretzel

Well, of course, it IS from the Guardian, perhaps we should see if it is reported anywhere else

Photographer reveals truth behind 'my legs are open for refugees' picture | Metro News

Farage tweets fake photo in attack on pro-refugee campaigners

[MEDIA=reddit]ukpolitics/comments/8yvizb[/MEDIA]

So as an INTELLIGENT consumer of news I would naturally look for evidence that he did not either fall for this deception or knowingly post false information to whip up the dull of intellect.

I think the danger at the moment is the notion that if some news IS fake or more likely exaggerated, then why don't I just ignore ANYTHING that does not align with my beliefs and label it as fake news. To me, this is lame and unintelligent. Rather than proclaiming oooh there is so much fake news you can't believe anything perhaps people should get off your intellectual arses and do some actual fact-checking. I can not prove 100% that humans have landed on the moon but I can research multiple sources of quite reliable evidence therefore on balance I believe it to be true but of course, I am brave enough to accept new evidence to the contrary should it present itself. Phil, do you ever find yourself a little incredulous that all the fake news seems to be against things you politically agree with? The first thing I do when I read an article that seems to align with my beliefs is to look for evidence to disprove it.

As an exercise Phill perhaps you could consider this article Nigel Farage spread ‘fake news’. I know, because I took the real picture | Lasia Kretzel

Well, of course, it IS from the Guardian, perhaps we should see if it is reported anywhere else

Photographer reveals truth behind 'my legs are open for refugees' picture | Metro News

Farage tweets fake photo in attack on pro-refugee campaigners

[MEDIA=reddit]ukpolitics/comments/8yvizb[/MEDIA]

So as an INTELLIGENT consumer of news I would naturally look for evidence that he did not either fall for this deception or knowingly post false information to whip up the dull of intellect.

I hope that you're not expecting me to defend Nigel Farage ? another politician . . .No I don't think you'd do that tbh. My Good Lady drew my attention to that photograph and I called BS immediately, and it didn't take very long to check.

Knowingly telling lies or deceptive photoshopping should be utterly condemned and the perpetrators made to pay for their fraudulent tactics. We let lies become part of accepted practice and is just "normal" . That's a pretty sorry situation where anyone can be slandered and vilified without prompt redress available. Access to Law is only available to well off people. Profit by deception is too common. The biggest criminals never see Gaol. They can BUY their way out if it in most places. in our world.. The Lovely GINA even said publicly you should be able to pay a fine for any crime. OK for HER she is one of the richest people in the world.. Bugger the rest. Nev

Can't believe you used "lovely" and "Gina" in the same sentence. Morals of a drug cartel owner and head like the south end of a north-bound bull terrier.

Guess it just goes to show... there's a boutique clientele for anyone... spacer.png

(It's ok Nev - I know you were being sarcastic. I think.)

The IPA is a wing of the Liberal party - or is it the other way around?

Don't forget she tried to give her mate Barmy Joyce $40,000 recently, which he accepted until public outroar - (and perhaps a quiet word in the ear from Turnbull) - made him give it back.

Settle down. The IPA is simply a Think Tank. An advisory body. They are only there to help our politicians find the right path to prosperity.

You cynics seem to think that they are a legalised form of some sort of hidden bribery cartel.

Settle down. The IPA is simply a Think Tank. An advisory body...

A body set up to advise the LNP how best to neutralise and then destroy the grass-roots movement to free us from the fossil-fuel cartel.

Their agenda is clear: undermine trust in public broadcasters, then remove this impediment to their total power.

They already have runs on the board.

The recent Liberal Party vote to sell off the ABC and SBS has nothing to do with saving the taxpayer a few bob; it's all about removing a reliable source of information so that voters are dependant on what Murdoch and his ilk want us to hear.

Did the press tell us about the recent legislation designed to undermine the funding of GetUp and grass-roots environmental groups? The draconian sentences for anyone trying to stop their pet projects like the disastrous Adani mine?

Phil isn't far to the left, I would have thought . They are suggesting HE deserves to be ignored.. Being a troll isn't a good award though.. So sad. but I suggest he wears the Guardian's condemnation as a badge of honor. That's why it's there for you to behold. Nev