The epitome of laziness

red750

Is this the epitome of laziness?

At our recently upgraded Woollies supermarket, two car parking spaces right outside the door, and next to the disabled spaces, have recently been marked "Online pickup only", ie., for people who have ordered their groceries online, and had someone else walk around and select their meat, fruit, groceries, etc. That is not uncommon - Coles do the same. However, tonight I saw this sign on those parking spaces.

[ATTACH]49438._xfImport[/ATTACH]

laziness.thumb.JPG.5d776919a0d7870931026cb4ab8e393d.JPG

Could be laziness, or it could be a useful service for someone with mobility problems, or a single parent who doesn't want to drag 4 screaming kids through the supermarket, or any one of a hundred other reasons.

I'm willing to bet it's not a free service anyway - can't see them picking your groceries out for you gratis.

I've just got back from picking up a few things at my local Woolies'. As I was paying, I presented our rewards card. When I got back home my wife asked if I had scanned the card. Curious, I asked why. She said that at 10:38 am she got an email from Woollies offering a chance to win $200. From experience we knew that if we had continued, her emails would have been bombarded with ads from all sort of sellers. When we checked the docket, we saw that I had gone through the check-out at 10:32 am.

Having just been reading a book about how retailers gather data about their customers through the use of reward/loyalty cards, I know that Woolies knows exactly what I had for breakfast without the need to look up my 4rse. All that information in return for discounting a shopping transaction by $10 after I have spent $2000!

We have a Woolies Rewards card. It's saved us over $200 this year. Recently we didn't know how we would make it through to next pension, when we got a bonus of $60 free groceries. We usually only get one email per week, listing all the products marked down for the ensuing week. These are all products they know we use regularly. For each dollar we spend we get 1 point. Some weeks they run a triple points promotion, so you get 3 points for every dollar. Accumulate 2000 points and you get $10 deducted from your total. Every couple of months they run a secret points booster program. Again, this is for 10 of the products we regularly use. We don't have to buy something we don't use. We may buy today what we may not need till next week, but it will be used. For example, the type of cat litter we use, which costs about $9 per bag, (9 points), carried 220 points this week. Total secret bonus points for the week (Wed to Tues) was 1510 points. I already had over 600 points accumulated, so next shop I'll get a $10 discount off my total shop in addition to the specials reduction. The additional points will start accumulating again. As a pensioner, this type of saving comes in very handy. If they run out of stock of a discounted item, you can get a raincheck from the service desk and pick it up at the special price when back in stock.

On a serious note Red, I bet there are mobs of people who could benefit from your expertise. You've demonstrated your communication skills on this site; have you considered developing a shoppers' advice service?

That's the trouble with gaining Life's experience. You get older and wiser, then you learn that the young and foolish won't take advice.

four cars tried to kill me

5000 nogs tried to kill me

five trucks tried to kill me

had a go at sky diving

1 aeroplane tried to kill me

1 aeroplane would have killed me

bowl cancer had a go

waldenstroms cancer had a go

a couple of women I have up set

old age welcome bring it on just to piss of the kids and every body off

I have lived a very sheltered life neil

Just been shopping, and another bonus for Reward Card holders. Till the end of December, use your own bags and get two extra points for each bag, ie 3 bags, get 6 points. You also accrue points for petrol at Woolies service stations, in addition to the 4c/l discount.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Obviously someone is paying for it. All I know is I am part of the loyalty program at Woolies, which is free, unlike the $10 per month program recently announced by Coles. I usually buy the same products each week. I receive an email advising which of those are marked down as weekly specials. For example, the cat food my cat likes to eat is normally $1.10 per can. Last week they were marked down to 65c, so I bought a supply to cover when they returned to their normal price. Each dollar I spend earns 1 point towards my bonus. However, some weeks I may get a boost of 3 or 5 times the normal points value. In addition, I get secret bonuses, not displayed in store, and not known by the store manager, all controlled by the computer system. One example this week is beef hamburger patties. Price $6 for 4 patties, worth 6 points. As my secret special this week, I got 520 points per pack. Our family requires 2 packs, so that is 1040 points for that item alone. 2000 points gets a $10 deduction off your purchase total. I also get 2 points for each bag I take to carry my shopping home.

I get a 4c/l discount off my petrol at a Woolies petrol station every time I spend $30 in a single transaction in the supermarket. Every so often I get an offer for a large bonus if I spend X amount per week for 3 weeks. For example, a recent bonus offer was 50,000 points for spending $165 per week for 3 weeks. Purchases at Woolies supermarket, BWS or Woolies petrol stations all count. Not hard when buying groceries for 4 adults, 2 dogs and a cat, and we don't drink so don't shop at BWS. The other day the total of our shop was $30.90. Scanned our loyalty card and pressed the pay button. Got a message - congratulations, you just earned a $30 discount. Cost of the total shop - $0-90c Who is paying? Obviously those not in the loyalty program.

Better than playing the Pokies Red. Its keeping you on your toes. I go to a BP station that gives 2c off an already good price always and is much cheaper than SHELL or Caltex with a discount. The SHELL outlets have the highest non discounted prices. Have you noticed that? Nev