BRILLIANT Garden Shed

Phil Perry

Mr Perry, I don't know why you bother, when all these naysayers come back and badger you about perceived failings in this brilliant concept. I'm sure they are just jealous!

All you have to do to solve the Council 'problem' is invite Constable Plod around at the same time as the Council inspector, and ensure he partakes of enough of the contents of the fridges that he gets nailed as he falls into the drivers seat of his car.

Now, as far as the rain issue, I'm led to believe there may be up to 3 or 4 days each British summer free of rain.

Mind you, perfection requires a spiral staircase leading to an enclosed observation deck, of a suitable height to observe the traffic at the local aero club.

David

Mr Perry, I don't know why you bother, when all these naysayers come back and badger you about perceived failings in this brilliant concept. I'm sure they are just jealous!All you have to do to solve the Council 'problem' is invite Constable Plod around at the same time as the Council inspector, and ensure he partakes of enough of the contents of the fridges that he gets nailed as he falls into the drivers seat of his car.

Now, as far as the rain issue, I'm led to believe there may be up to 3 or 4 days each British summer free of rain.

Mind you, perfection requires a spiral staircase leading to an enclosed observation deck, of a suitable height to observe the traffic at the local aero club.

David

Ahhh. . .a voice of reason amongst the naysayers Sir. . . .Most local Councils do not require planning permission for a shed structure which is NOT physically attached to your main building. Caveats would of course include, 'Not TOO big',. . .H&S regs regarding polycarbonate goggles for everyone playing darts of course,. . and Not too far out of keeping with other back garden structures. Dunno if the spiral staircase to an eyrie which could overlook every neighbours' roof though. . .possible problem there,. . . perhaps a hydraulic telescopic mast carrying a decent GoPro cam would be an idea ?. . .dunno really. . . I just did a quick, 'Back of the cigar packet calculation that I would require a mast 874 feet seven and a half inches tall, give or take few millimetres,. . to 'Peepo' over the ridge which geographically separates my abode from the airfield. . . However,. . your kind moral support has warmed the heart of my cockles it has. . . .

Garden sheds are on the councils agenda, to get around the rules put said shed on skids, then it's not a fixture so cannot be put on a plan.LPG stoves have the same problem & result, no fixture no certification required.

spacesailor

My shed isn't really fixed to the ground that well,. . .it only has 10 - 1/2 inch ( 12.5mm ) diameter Dynabolts ( Loxons ? ) of 10 inches ( 250mm ) length lightly securing it to my concrete foundations, just as a safety guard against wind damage of course (!). . . We don't need a gas certificate here for non mains gas barbecues,. . .they are classified as domestic / portable. . .I often get the impression that certain regulations in Australia ( my Favouritest country in the world. . . ) is a little bit obsessive with petty regulations ?. . I could be wrong here, but my mate Brucie, a native of Richmond Melb. . . who has lived here for ten years, reckons that the Aussies make the Spanish government look positively helpful. . .I dunno what he means really. . . .

David2ayo said. . . All you have to do to solve the Council 'problem' is invite Constable Plod around for a beer . . .

We have a slight problem there David. . .

There are, in the UK, NO MORE local PLOD. That stopped some years ago with the introduction of the plastic Volunteer 'Police' the PCSO. or, Police Community Service Officers.

These are volunteers who get some very basic training, and please don't get me wrong here,. . they are Obviously Interested in becoming real Police, but there is ( we are told ) insufficient funding for this at the present time.

The PCSO have NO powers of arrest, nor even detention, ie, although they are entrusted with a Police Radio,. . they are not allowed to restrain anyone in any way, until a REAL copper arrives, as that would be deemed ASSAULT. as they are not gifted the Warrant Card, which is only for 'Proper' Fully Trained Plod. NOW,. . .I have TWO very nice, local PCSAs, Ranice and Jamil. . . . They LOOK like Police,. . they DRESS like Police,. .. but they are not allowed to ACT like Police.

They are very nice, well spoken people, although I think, not wishing to be unfair here, that 'Janice' would have a bit of a problem if she had to run anywhere, as she is quite obese poor thing. Jamil, is a slender chap who looks like he'd weigh about 50 Kgs in his shorts with very spindly arms. He tells me he never learned to swim in Pakistan, as he lived well inland there. So if your kid fell into the canal or lake and was drowning. . all he could do was call for help on the radio. . .They are all instructed that under no circumstances are they to put themselves at risk to save a member of the public. Ranice ( she is a Kurdish Iraqui Christian and does not wear the Hijab ) has told me that she can't swim either. I have to ask myself, WHAT THE FECK ARE THEY ACTUALLY THERE FOR ?. . . . ( No one seems to have an answer for this. . )

Oh,. . .the other thing is that NEITHER of them drink beer. . . .so MAYBE they are allowed to arrest sheds ?. . .I dunno. . .

Now, as far as the rain issue, I'm led to believe there may be up to 3 or 4 days each British summer free of rain.David

Not sure where you got your info David but according to my sources Britain actually did have summer last year, it was on a Wednesday.

Not sure where you got your info David but according to my sources Britain actually did have summer last year, it was on a Wednesday.

Only HALF correct Geoff. . . . the rain stopped at 12:35 PM, giving way to a lovely Wednesday afternoon of summer sun. It even attained the dizzy heights of 22.5 Deg. C. spacer.png

When I made the only residential move of my life to here at Terramungamine (near Dubbo, NSW) (and a thread on that would be a hawser) I felt the need for a decent sized shed. None of these pretend tin boxes, a real shed. We did have a small shed with carport attached, and a tin box, but not adequate for one who played with cars (good ones, Rovers and Land Rovers) and amateur radio. Without much issue at all, I had approval from the Council for a 12 metre x 18 metre shed, and the tin box and carport shed got their approvals as well. I was told by the Council officer that the carport shed needed a thicker concrete foundation around the edge of the slab. 'Sorry mate, its already built'. 'Oh'. Quick unmodification of drawing follows. It hasn't fallen over yet, but the tin box has had sundry fettling and reinforcements. It must be the only tin box in the country with a legally installed 240 volt power point and interior light.

Councils appear to have realised here that garden sheds aren't going away, and so long as it isn't multibedroom and bigger than the house, it doesn't need specific approval.

A word of warning. If you are going to build a shed, remember that junk always expands to fill the available space PLUS 10%. So, 216 sq metres of floor + 72 sq metres of mezzanine = lots of things that I know I've got somewhere ....

David

When I made the only residential move of my life to here at Terramungamine (near Dubbo, NSW) (and a thread on that would be a hawser) I felt the need for a decent sized shed. None of these pretend tin boxes, a real shed. We did have a small shed with carport attached, and a tin box, but not adequate for one who played with cars (good ones, Rovers and Land Rovers) and amateur radio. Without much issue at all, I had approval from the Council for a 12 metre x 18 metre shed, and the tin box and carport shed got their approvals as well. I was told by the Council officer that the carport shed needed a thicker concrete foundation around the edge of the slab. 'Sorry mate, its already built'. 'Oh'. Quick unmodification of drawing follows. It hasn't fallen over yet, but the tin box has had sundry fettling and reinforcements. It must be the only tin box in the country with a legally installed 240 volt power point and interior light.Councils appear to have realised here that garden sheds aren't going away, and so long as it isn't multibedroom and bigger than the house, it doesn't need specific approval.

A word of warning. If you are going to build a shed, remember that junk always expands to fill the available space PLUS 10%. So, 216 sq metres of floor + 72 sq metres of mezzanine = lots of things that I know I've got somewhere ....

David

DAVID,. . .I REALLY WANTED to give your post an 'Informative' AND also a 'Funny' but, alas the site front end ( Ie - Public user ) software does not allow. . . . So,. . .I shall tale your advice on board if I ever get the funds sufficient to move back 'HOME' to my beloved Australia mate.

My eyes were pricked by your metion of \Amateur Radio,. . .I am about to repair a pice of kit I have had for over ten years, . . ie, a Kenwood TM-G707E radio set, which, if you don't see them in OZ, is a quad band raido set, for mobile use, covering VHF /UHF and air band too, plus 870 Megs ( ? ) anyhow,. . .there must be an internal battery, rather like that on a PC Motherboardm, which retains the olatile memory system, telling the machine that it is not, in fact a taster control unit, nor one for central heating purposes but that it is actually a TOY radio for silly old men to indulge their hobby of Ham Radio. . .I will have this thingo reparied ( my eyes are not good enough ) so a French radio ham has offeed to replace the button cell so that I may regain control of all the the CTCSS tones required to access the international worm holes that I cannot access ATM. . . . .I USED to run 5 KW of HF and a massive antenna stack to achieve scratchy contacts into Australia on farly rare occasions, but I'm happy to follow along with the technology and use these wormhole systems now that the local council barstards have cut down the 75 feet high tree which leaned over my back garden, and contained 9 different anttenae of mine is now not available. . .. . .I can still, if needed, create an HF signal with my ex-Ozzie Navy linear, . .this has three extrernal anode ceramic bottles, and is capable of 5,000 watts RMS. . .but it DOES upset, ( or rather Used to upset. .. the neighbours by ejecting their video tapes whilst they were recording Dallas, or whatever. . . .) And now,. . .I would have to re-erect a wire antenna,. .. I have a half size G5RV wire dipole,. . . .but I think I'd rather use the available technology, as the new next door neighbour is a young, Ex-navy lad,and what with me being a 67 year old ex special forces git,. . . I think I might have to go at least one and a HALF rounds to knock the fecker out. . .instead of the earlier 20 seconds of my youth. . . too much like hard work. . . .

I Can't remember if I've logged myself on QRZ.com,. . . but if I haven't. . .its G4 OHK ( Old Hairy Kangaroo ) Make a note, and when I've got the rig fixed I'll give you a call.. .. n whatever system is available at the time. . .

'73 OM. . . . .

Phil. . .

Who sez I'm not senile? (The best thing about having Old Timers disease is you meet new people every day.)

There's an old bloke sitting on a park bench, sobbing his heart out. A concerned passer-by sits down next to him and asks what's wrong.

"I got married yesterday," sobs the old fella.

"Oh! Er... well, that doesn't sound too bad," says the passer-by.

"She's absolutely gorgeous. 32 years old, she works as a swimsuit model, does yoga, and loves sex," he groans.

The passerby says nothing, but scratches his head, confused.

"And she's got a great personality... does anything for me, loves me unconditionally despite our age difference, and she's the heiress to a large fortune," the old bloke says, crying miserably.

"And did I mention her cooking?" he goes on. "She's French trained. Cordon Bleu. Each mealtime is as orgasmic as bed time! If it wasn't for all the exercise I get in the sack, I'd have put on twenty kilos!" He leans back, sniffling.

The passerby has had enough.

"Mate!" he says sternly. "You are so lucky. I wish I had a wife like that! And at your age too. Your life must be a dream! Why would you sit here being miserable, with a woman like that waiting for you? Go home, man. Go home!!"

"That's why I'm upset..." wails the old man. "I can't remember where I live!!!"

From post #8 (alright, I'm a bit slow ... )

.They are all instructed that under no circumstances are they to put themselves at risk to save a member of the public. Ranice ( she is a Kurdish Iraqui Christian and does not wear the Hijab ) has told me that she can't swim either. I have to ask myself, WHAT THE FECK ARE THEY ACTUALLY THERE FOR ?. . . . ( No one seems to have an answer for this. . )

They are probably there for the same reason as this ....spacer.png

I suppose, thinking about the first mentioned shed in this thread, the other thing not yet installed is an operating desk for Amateur Radio gear. I am truly amazed at the attitude of the local populace with regard to 'Ham Radio'.We are the first called on when emergency comms required to places out of normal reach, but dare to erect an antenna, and the complaints roll in - ugly, interferes with the TV, it might fall on my house, the wind whistles through the wires (really?) etc. In Aus , or at least NSW, there is now blanket permission to erect a mast no more than 10 metres high. Marvellous! So, we get this you-beaut beam antenna, shove about 150 watts of R up it (give or take a bit), and it points straight up the neighbours TV antenna, which is always in absolutely pristine condition and properly tuned to the required frequency (slight pause here while I recover from a choking fit).If we set it up another 5 or 10 metres, the RF field would be so much less, problems much less, and, remember, when a ham operator moves house, so do the antennas. So unlike the horrible extensions to houses so often poorly executed and jerry-built.

I suppose the very high tree is useful. I planted a lemon-scented gum in my backyard at Wahroonga (Sydney Suburb) for the very purpose. Now that I have moved, it is at an ideal height.

David VK2AYO

From post #8 (alright, I'm a bit slow ... )

.They are all instructed that under no circumstances are they to put themselves at risk to save a member of the public. Ranice ( she is a Kurdish Iraqui Christian and does not wear the Hijab ) has told me that she can't swim either. I have to ask myself, WHAT THE FECK ARE THEY ACTUALLY THERE FOR ?. . . . ( No one seems to have an answer for this. . )

They are probably there for the same reason as this ....spacer.png

SUBLIMINAL. . . .this actually works on some levels David. . .There are similar roadside graphic images in the French countryside. . . .Each time someone dies in an auto accident, the highways people erect life sized human silhouettes, made of thick steel plate and painted in matt black. . . .they really DO make you think. . . .

It doesn't take much to slow drivers down. Fixed Speed Cameras seemed to do the trick on our NSW highways.

They had great deterrent value (even though many of the installations were actually empty because the cameras were regularly moved between them). Signs warning drivers that they were approaching a speed camera, were placed well ahead of each installation. Despite this, lots of drivers objected to them.

The current LNP government was elected with a promise to remove them. They actually carried out that election promise. Trouble is, the dumb buggers went the whole hog and obliterated any evidence that the speed cameras had ever been there. It would have cost nothing to have left the signs and empty camera boxes in place.

Within weeks of their removal, three people were killed in accidents within 500m of where our local speed camera had been.

I suppose, thinking about the first mentioned shed in this thread, the other thing not yet installed is an operating desk for Amateur Radio gear. I am truly amazed at the attitude of the local populace with regard to 'Ham Radio'.We are the first called on when emergency comms required to places out of normal reach, but dare to erect an antenna, and the complaints roll in - ugly, interferes with the TV, it might fall on my house, the wind whistles through the wires (really?) etc. In Aus , or at least NSW, there is now blanket permission to erect a mast no more than 10 metres high. Marvellous! So, we get this you-beaut beam antenna, shove about 150 watts of R up it (give or take a bit), and it points straight up the neighbours TV antenna, which is always in absolutely pristine condition and properly tuned to the required frequency (slight pause here while I recover from a choking fit).If we set it up another 5 or 10 metres, the RF field would be so much less, problems much less, and, remember, when a ham operator moves house, so do the antennas. So unlike the horrible extensions to houses so often poorly executed and jerry-built.I suppose the very high tree is useful. I planted a lemon-scented gum in my backyard at Wahroonga (Sydney Suburb) for the very purpose. Now that I have moved, it is at an ideal height.

David VK2AYO

David,. . .I have been through all the RF interference hassles for the last 30 years. . . Great Innit ? . .( You should really have had the presence of mind to have planted a Coachwood tree 20 years before you moved in ! )

I had a tree, belonging to my Back to back neighbouring property, which was in excess of 75 feet in height.. . I used this to great advantage when I bought my house, with the permission of the tree 'Owner' as it leaned a bit. . .and 'spread' well over my property curtilage. I had Vhf and Uhf vertical antennas sticking out the top, from which I could hear a sparrow's fart at less than 5 Microvolts from 100 miles away on 70cm or 2 metres and this was useful. . .I also used it to anchor one end of my HF trapped wire dipole, which was also very handy.

I had a four element triband yagi on the gable end of the house, atop this was a 6 metre band ( 50 megs ) 4 el yagi and then a 4 ele yagi for 4 metres ( 70 megs ) and finally, a crossed, 10 element beam for 2 metres as well. . .this was polarity selectable, ie RH circular . vertical / Horizontal. . . .all atop a humungus heavy duty rotator. . . On the back shed, I had an 11 metre tuned 5/8th wave 3 radial groundplane for contacting all my old mates on the Good Buddy band. . . .

Ah. . .memories. I have not done much operating lately, but I've been gifted an HF, commercial point to point rig, which came from Saudi, where a mate was working on the Oil installations. It's an AEL keypad entry unit, very basic,. . .no bells nor whistles. . . no S-meter, just very ordinary controls. . .Keypad, and a 'Slide' control to tune in on rx / tx. It covers 12 to 40 Mhz, continuously. . . but the only problem is that it only has two speeds, . .. either 200 watts, or 'Off'.. . It only does USB /LSB, no other modes. . ..

I managed to source a power supply for the beast, ( 25 amps at 12v ) so I'm hoping to give the thing an airing soon, when I've re-erected a wire aerial. . .te big tree was cndemned as rotten and removed five years back, so I've been feeling like a barstard on Father's day since then. . .as far as HF is concerned !

PERHAPS. . . further discussion on this subject ought to be contained in a PM. . .( ! ) don't want to bore the customers to death eh ?. . . . .

Phil.

It doesn't take much to slow drivers down. Fixed Speed Cameras seemed to do the trick on our NSW highways.They had great deterrent value (even though many of the installations were actually empty because the cameras were regularly moved between them). Signs warning drivers that they were approaching a speed camera, were placed well ahead of each installation. Despite this, lots of drivers objected to them.

The current LNP government was elected with a promise to remove them. They actually carried out that election promise. Trouble is, the dumb buggers went the whole hog and obliterated any evidence that the speed cameras had ever been there. It would have cost nothing to have left the signs and empty camera boxes in place.

Within weeks of their removal, three people were killed in accidents within 500m of where our local speed camera had been.

This is really important stuff OK,. . .I happen to know that there are TWO 50MPH speed cameras located on a particular stretch of road called 'The Black Country Route' . . .this is a two lane freeway style road with limited access and is mostly dead straight. There are, , and always have been 2 cams there, spaced around 1 mile apart, and they have not been operational for five years, BUT only a few people KNOW that. The local Authority ran out of funding apparently, but it wasn't generally known that the cams were being defunded too. I passed that way yesterday and EVERYONE slows down for the cameras. . . .this, surely can't be a bad thing. . . even five years after they were disconnected. There have been Zero fatal accidents there for over four years,. . .whereas the 'Other Side' of the same road has NO cameras, and there have been eleven fatalities. . . coincidence ?. . .possibly but unlikely. ( IMHO )

My Mum in Kiwi-land had a Ham move in & obliterated the tv reception, when requested to move the antenna to furthermost corner of his property , was very nasty.

I called in the authorities who tried to say "tuff titty" live with it ,But they forgot one little thing. it's illegal to transmit overseas by telephone. ( I rang an overseas relo who had the ham coming through to them).

exit one poorly rigged transmitter. equipment seized. as deemed completely illegal, due solely to transmitting over the phone line.He could have solved his problem easily.

spacesailor