BRILLIANT Garden Shed

Phil Perry

My Mum in Kiwi-land had a Ham move in & obliterated the tv reception, when requested to move the antenna to furthermost corner of his property , was very nasty.I called in the authorities who tried to say "tuff titty" live with it ,But they forgot one little thing. it's illegal to transmit overseas by telephone. ( I rang an overseas relo who had the ham coming through to them).

exit one poorly rigged transmitter. equipment seized. as deemed completely illegal, due solely to transmitting over the phone line.He could have solved his problem easily.

spacesailor

Some hobbies have no effect upon close neighbours at all, but others can do.

That bloke you mention was obviously a miserable selfish bugger and got what he deserved. It is much better to engage with neighbours and keep it friendly. One of mine mentioned that he still has three RF filters I made for him in the 1980s when my HF activities were affecting his TV reception. Some neighbours can also be a bit weird too !. . .When I got back to the UK in the early 1980s, made and erected a couple of antennas whilst waiting for my gear to arrive by sea freight from OZ. . . One bloke insisted that I was interfering with his Telly when the radio gear was still in a container on it's way to London's dockland. . . !

I went around to look at this 'Interference' and sure enough, I could see the picture wobbling and there was a strange 'Woomph Womp' noise which I recognised as a single sideband radio transmission. I looked around the local area and there was a CB radio aerial on the side of a house which backed onto his. I had a word with the guy and he fixed the problem sharpish, as SSB was an illegal mode on CB then . . . FM only. He stuck some filters on it and problem solved.

I had a lot of friends in the Ham community, My youngest uncle was busted ( in |England) for making a transmitter & talking to America,

such a long time ago, with low & high voltage hand wound transformers , lots of heat with the old valves.I kept the last hand wound antenna tuner I made, & the great grand-kids ask "whats that thing"

spacesailor

I had a lot of friends in the Ham community, My youngest uncle was busted ( in |England) for making a transmitter & talking to America,such a long time ago, with low & high voltage hand wound transformers , lots of heat with the old valves.I kept the last hand wound antenna tuner I made, & the great grand-kids ask "whats that thing"

spacesailor

I built an ATU when I resided in Melbourne, An ex RAN sparks gave me lots of old bits, including a 'Roller Inductor' wound onto a helically grooved ceramic bar approx 80mm diameter, 350mm long. a little wheel tracked along the coil, mounted on a metal rod, so that you could adjust the inductance by winding a little handle on the end. . .Magic some of that stuff wasn't it . . that would tune a 6 inch nail on the 160 metre band ! ( Oops. . .quick, . . .we'd better start a Ham Radio Geeks Tony Hancock channel so that the other folks don't fall asleep ! )