green power solar is

storchy neil

Bit of leadership by the government wouldn't go astray. A few European countries have now set a date when all new petrol & diesel cars will be banned. But here in Aus the emissions standards are lower than much of the western world.

Tesla have released the "affordable" model and have more orders than they'll be able to fill in a reasonable time. It's only a matter of time before electric vehicles will be cheaper, lower maintenance and nicer to drive than petrol.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like a "free " demo-Tesla,

From Brissie, to Boulia, drive the "plenty hwy" to "Gemtree" turn right at Three-ways, up the "Stuart hwy, then left to "Topsprings" onto the "Buchanan hwy", have a look at the fleet of planes & helicopters at "Victoria River Downs Station" then left into "Victoria hwy" Rest stop "Timber Creek".

Somehow I doubt that car would hold together before it reached "Broom".

Electric vehicles maybe good (like the fifties delivery trucks) in cities.

And make it "self-drive" just to ruin a good adventure drive.

spacesailor

I would like a "free " demo-Tesla,From Brissie, to Boulia, drive the "plenty hwy" to "Gemtree" turn right at Three-ways, up the "Stuart hwy, then left to "Topsprings" onto the "Buchanan hwy", have a look at the fleet of planes & helicopters at "Victoria River Downs Station" then left into "Victoria hwy" Rest stop "Timber Creek".

Somehow I doubt that car would hold together before it reached "Broom".

Electric vehicles maybe good (like the fifties delivery trucks) in cities.

And make it "self-drive" just to ruin a good adventure drive.

spacesailor

Tesla "glamping" in the Australian outback - One Step Off The Grid

Octave,Yes they're getting better, But they still wouldn't survive the bad roads.

spacesailor

I am curious as to how you know this. The vehicles in the article I posted survived. Surely there are 2 issues here, the car itself and then the bits that are not in a standard car. I have not driven or examined a Tesla but my son who is a massive car nerd and competes in motorsport and is involved indirectly with motor engineering hired a Tesla on a trip to San Francisco. He was so impressed that he has ordered one, even though he now lives in New Zealand and even given the import cost, he has decided that it is worth it. It would be interesting to know what knowledge you have as to what parts tend to fail?

My thoughts are the batteries would be shaken to failure on the two "Roads" I suggested.

The roads are so rutted & corrugated that the spot welds give way, spring hangers on trailers part company with the trailer frame, lots of Aussie's will attest this.

On my vehicle I killed a shock-absorber, It just spat it's oil out & the seal as well!, and don't forget the camper-trailer hanging off the rear end.

spacesailor

My thoughts are the batteries would be shaken to failure on the two "Roads" I suggested.The roads are so rutted & corrugated that the spot welds give way, spring hangers on trailers part company with the trailer frame, lots of Aussie's will attest this.

On my vehicle I killed a shock-absorber, It just spat it's oil out & the seal as well!, and don't forget the camper-trailer hanging off the rear end.

spacesailor

So did the car in the article survive?

Of course, most of the car is a car like any other. and would be subject to usual the rigours of such a trip.

So.... regular cars can't handle the road either - sounds like it's the road and not the vehicle, regardless of powerplant.

Nev (facthunter) commented on another thread that he wanted to see electric 4WD's with an engine on each wheel. Have that and your suspension can be brilliant, there's no drivetrain, no differentials, a whole lot fewer things to go wrong.

So.... regular cars can't handle the road either - sounds like it's the road and not the vehicle, regardless of powerplant.

Nev (facthunter) commented on another thread that he wanted to see electric 4WD's with an engine on each wheel. Have that and your suspension can be brilliant, there's no drivetrain, no differentials, a whole lot fewer things to go wrong.

Like this perhaps, ok fair enough this vehicle is a hobby vehicle and does not have a fantastic range but still pretty interesting

Did it travel the Plenty & Buchanan hwy ?Lots of roads that require more maintenance than they get now, but not being on major rout's, once a year or after floods wash them out is the best we get.

spacesailor

I am guessing that many vehicles would not handle these roads however they happen to be powered

Like this perhaps, ok fair enough this vehicle is a hobby vehicle and does not have a fantastic range but still pretty interesting

MMMMM... Defender... electric.... *drool*

I notice it's still got all the running gear though, they've just replaced the engine. I'd like to see the wheels driven by their own motors.

• 3 weeks later...

This was interesting (not just Katter and Albo being mates), but check out the bit about the solar array and pumped hydro.

Now THAT is a future power station. However knowing how the damn conservatives think, wouldn't be surprised if Adani gets their billion bucks from the Northern Australia Infrastructure Fund, and projects like this get knocked back.

Katter and Albo take bromance to the bush on 'power trip'

Storage Neil, or very quick standby response. (Very expensive) Coal and gas don't like hot days and Critical Coal cant operate at varying settings. CLEAN Coal is the CON. No Investors will go for it, but the government want to stick their necks out and fund it with your money. Does that sound OK to you? The only CHEAP Coal is from (existing) worn out amortised generators. Newly constructed COAL generation is extremely expensive. The experts do their sums and decide NO but the LNP Government have another agenda. I doubt many Farmers want Coal Seam Gas. They want arable land and aquifers to continue to exist. Nev