green power solar is

storchy neil

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much does a recharge cost?

The cost depends on where you live and the capacity of the EV’s batteries.

For example, the average price for electricity per kilowatt hour (kWh) in Australia is about $0.25 and it takes around 18 kWh to travel 100km in an average EV. So, it will cost approximately $4.50 in electricity charges to travel 100km.

Charging on an economy tariff at off-peak times will be even cheaper. In our Townsville trial, charging a Mitsubishi i-Miev EV on Tariff 33 cost $3.25 in electricity charges to travel 100km. Read more in our news article Trial finds electric vehicles cheap to run and low carbon.

There may be costs for the second meter needed for the economy tariff, if you don’t have one already (read Possible set-up costs below).

In comparison, the average petrol car in Australia uses 11.1 litres of fuel to travel 100km (Australian Bureau of Statistics). That’s a cost of $16.65 to travel 100km at $1.50 per litre2. Even a very efficient diesel vehicle (5 litres per 100km) will cost $7.502.

Charging An Electric Car

Why am I paying about $0.32 ?. Single tariff.

" the average price for electricity per kilowatt hour (kWh) in Australia is about $0.25"

Who pays less than your $0.25, Canberra!.

How do you cut a angle for the roof-pitch,Waste one good solar tile, times a couple of dozen.

spacesailor

From Octave's figures I get 16 kWh for 100 km which is well under the 25 kW per hour that was my estimate. My Falcon has a 190 kW engine but it rarely works anywhere near that so I guessed about 25 kW. Maybe the 16 kW is for a mini car and the 25 is indeed about right for a big car. I like that 190 kW when passing trucks or towing up a hill.

Anyway, it is not being green to recharge your car from electricity produced by burning fossil fuel. For that crime, you should be sentenced to eating grits for a week.

From Octave's figures I get 16 kWh for 100 km which is well under the 25 kW per hour that was my estimate. My Falcon has a 190 kW engine but it rarely works anywhere near that so I guessed about 25 kW. Maybe the 16 kW is for a mini car and the 25 is indeed about right for a big car. I like that 190 kW when passing trucks or towing up a hill.Anyway, it is not being green to recharge your car from electricity produced by burning fossil fuel. For that crime, you should be sentenced to eating grits for a week.

The good thing about electric cars is that they are as green as the source of electricity they are charged from. They will continue to become greener as sources of generation improve. By the way often when people compare the energy required for EV compared to ICE they usually conveniently forget to include the electricity required to refine crude oil into petrol.

There are lots of things technically possible, like storing energy in flywheels, that are not economically an idea to invest in.Sorry to say it but plastic to oil is another.

I think that many of the technologies we use today started out this way. I am happy to support all sorts of ideas via my tax or my investments (and I do invest in this sort of stuff). It is very easy to invest in a certainty. To me, it is like science. An idea is proposed. it is worked on, it ultimately (at this time) proves to be not viable. Was it a failure, NO, like a hypothesis if it proves to be a dead end it still adds to our progress. I get pretty tired of those who oppose new ideas simply because they are new. I have a keen sense of those who have done little research but are SO sure an idea is flawed.

OctaveLike electric cars, The first one preceded the internal combustion engine. Yet there new again!.

spacesailor[/quote

Yes, so what is your point?. Electric vehicles did precede ICE but back then the technology was not sufficient to make EVs practical, now it is Are you suggesting that because ICE was more practical than EVs back then, that that is it? EVs must be useless? I am not really worried about what the uninformed doubters think IT IS HAPPENING. The days of the ICE is drawing to a close. They will be replaced by EVs or hydrogen vehicles or some new technology, whatever it is it most probably will not be old-fashioned fossil fuels. I am excited and optimistic about future technology. Are you willing to have a substantial wager on the proliferation of non ICE vehicle tech in the next 10 years, because I am spacer.png

I invested in the hot rocks ( geothermal energy) because they were forgetting base-load power in South Australia.

Greens would approve of it as long as nobody told them it was actually a form of nuclear power.

Gosh those greens are deficient in elementary science. I know this green woman who is so proud of her natural granite benchtops that I haven't the heart to tell her that granite makes a geiger counter tick.

Well the hot rocks worked, but the stainless steel bore casings rusted out too fast for it to be economically viable.

If something is "NATURAL' It's perfect....... WRONG . Some natural events are pure Catastrophic.. Sunami, Earthquakes Volcanoes Cyclones...It's like It's God's will.. These thing s are totally a NATURAL phenomenon. Like IF you are being eaten by a shark who doesn't even know you have 4 degrees at a top university.. For IT you are just a meal. but you are in IT's territory . We should work WITH nature as it's really difficult to work against it. and it will bite if you don't heed it's essential place in our world. It's part of the Balance. Nev

How do you "work" with a hungry shark!spacesailor

Stay out of its territory.

I know this green woman who is so proud of her natural granite benchtops that I haven't the heart to tell her that granite makes a geiger counter tick.

"It is extremely unlikely that radiation from granite countertops would increase annual radiation doses above normal, natural background levels." Source - Granite Countertops and Radiation | US EPA

Spacey, with the sharks, You certainly don't put human characteristics to it, see it as a BAD, and hunt and kill all sharks in the area as a result.. Vote seeking misguided Politicians might do that but it's pretty ignorant.. We have upset the balance. Wild pigs, wild dogs, stray cats, horses, goats, camels, foxes rabbits cane toads lantana bush blackberry fire ants crocodiles numerous introduced weeds. etc just a few of the things what have gotten out of control ./ balance. Nev

• 3 weeks later...
YippeeSouth Australia, is putting FREE solar panels on houses, only state owned at first, but later, free lather.

When will this state (NSW) get on that band-wagon.

spacesailor

Nothing free in life. The houses upon which the panels and batteries are to be placed will pay for their power to offset the capital investment and operating costs incurred by private investors ($800mill) but the upside for SA is a distributed power system which is more resilient than centralised power from a single source such as coal fired or imported from NSW/Vic. It also appears that the final bill to the householder/generator will be a saving of 30% on their bill.

Solar The best NUCLEAR power there is. and you don't have to pay for it. That's what the "existing " players don't like THEY lose control of a monopoly. A single large GRID is wasteful, (losses) expensive (nearly half the cost) and subject to failures with natural events.. Nev

What I like about the SA plan is that it's sensible. In return for renting your roof space (which you don't use anyway), you get a 30% cut on electricity. At the same time the investors will get a good return on their capital outlay because those panels will keep chuntering along for 25 years or so. It's definitely not a "pie in the sky" scheme, and the right wing nutjobs can't complain about it on the grounds of it being a handout.

If this is successful (and I think it will be) and gets rolled out in a big way, South Australia's best revenge on the sneering national LNP wankers will be to have a self-sufficient, stable and reasonably priced power supply which is mostly renewable, in other words showing the federal government what it should have been doing nation-wide instead of bending over forwards for the coal miners.