greens are

storchy neil

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get dodgy people in any political party.

Mind you there's a bit of a difference between not renouncing NZ citizenship (hell, they're almost Australian anyway, just smarter), and some of the financial shenanigans that go on.

If you want to slam the Greens I reckon you'd be better aiming at the one who spent $4,000 of taxpayer's money taking her daughter on a whale-watching trip.

go on about Pauline doing wronggreens are a lot off garbage how come that green senator can have duel citizenship and don't know about it you voted for a ludnam ten years ago neil

I was born in Britain and attained citizenship when I was 9, I am quite honestly not sure what my status is regarding British citizenship, it has never come up before. Perhaps a politician should be more on top of this, but if you feel this is a scandalous situation that brings a whole political party into disrepute, I am wondering if you are critical of one nation because of Senator Cullerton????

This dual nationality thing is a problem for people who came to Australia as children with their parents in the 1950's and 60's, especially those who came from Britain. At that time there was no distinction in nationality status between British born and Australian born people. It seems it was only sometime after 1970 that the citizenship rules were changed so that a person had to formally adopt Australian citizenship.

My wife is an example of this. Came to Australia aged 11 or 12. Grew up here. Worked and paid tax. Permitted to vote in any Australian election. Married an Australian-by-birth and had two Australian born children. Considers herself Australian, but doesn't think that she should pay a couple of hundred dollars for a piece of paper saying that. Her British passport contains a permanent entry visa so she can return to Australia if she ever went on a Pacific island cruise.

The Greens Senator is obviously in the same situation. I think we should first give consideration to his performance as a Senator. If it is no worse than any other Senator, then why should he have to resign? If you took a good look at the makeup of early 20th Century Federal parliaments, I'd bet you would find a large number of non-Australian born members. Billy Hughes and King O'Malley are two that come readily to mind.

OME

This dual nationality thing is a problem for people who came to Australia as children with their parents in the 1950's and 60's, especially those who came from Britain. At that time there was no distinction in nationality status between British born and Australian born people. It seems it was only sometime after 1970 that the citizenship rules were changed so that a person had to formally adopt Australian citizenship.

My wife is an example of this. Came to Australia aged 11 or 12. Grew up here. Worked and paid tax. Permitted to vote in any Australian election. Married an Australian-by-birth and had two Australian born children. Considers herself Australian, but doesn't think that she should pay a couple of hundred dollars for a piece of paper saying that. Her British passport contains a permanent entry visa so she can return to Australia if she ever went on a Pacific island cruise.

The Greens Senator is obviously in the same situation. I think we should first give consideration to his performance as a Senator. If it is no worse than any other Senator, then why should he have to resign? If you took a good look at the makeup of early 20th Century Federal parliaments, I'd bet you would find a large number of non-Australian born members. Billy Hughes and King O'Malley are two that come readily to mind.

OME

My wife and I were in the same situation. My family came here as 10-pound poms, recruited by the Australian government. I became an Australian citizenship along with my family when I was 7. My wife also came here as a child along with her family, her family took out citizenship after she had left home. Until a few years ago my wife was still not a citizen but had a permanent residency certificate. She did not bother getting citizenship until applying for a job that required it. Like your wife, my wife resisted taking out citizenship partly because of the expense but it also seemed strange to have to attend an interview to determine whether she would make be a good citizen (like she had been for the last 40 years) and oddly to pledge allegiance to the queen!

It has a big drawback for child immigrants of that period. Unless they become Australian citizens, they cannot avail themselves of assistance to undertake further education. As these people age, but are still willing and able to work, they cannot retrain to obtain employment in occupations that did not exist when they were teenagers, or during the years they were raising a brood of Little Australians. Now they are virtually unemployable in occupations that would benefit from the person's intelligence and experience.

OME

I think Ludlam came here from New Zealand when he was 3 and has just found out of the situation. There is absolutely no question of a shonky practice here. In my opinion he has made some of the best speeches in the Parliament, and It's sad to see him go. There's many I would rather see ousted before him. Nev

My wife has dual citizenship!,

but how can she revoke what her Irish father got for being in the English army fighting for the brits, her Irish passport has a formal letter stating "English subject"!.

Also naturalized kiwi, as well as Australian naturalized, plus married to a pom, what a mix-up.

I was born a pom but not naturalized, my friends over the pond are not naturalized, only born there.

spacesailor

Yes, it's a bit of a stretch to blame the poor bugger. He was a child when he came here, has had a good career and has left Parliament as soon as he found out he'd inadvertently done the wrong thing. If only every travel-allowance rorter had done the same thing, there'd be tumbleweeds blowing through both houses.

spot on marty the quicker they get out off aust the richer we will be brown cost me money on the franklin greens cost me money with the lie that cheaper power from solar greens cost me more for the car greens garbage cost jobs in my opinion they are the scum neil

Neil I suggest that before your next post you do some research into which politicians actually deserve the insulting term "scum". There are many fine people in parliament, but the media ignores their tireless work in tedious meetings, hearings and debates (tune into Parliamentary broadcasts and try to stay awake for an hour).

Many of these politicians are trying to change the mindset of our nation and keep us from environmental disaster. For this they are regularly pilloried by the Murdoch press.

Meanwhile, other politicians make decisions which help foreign corporations and then retire with their parliamentary pension and all the benefits that go with it. They then get hired by those same corporations and are paid outrageous amounts. Some of their shonky actions verge on treason, yet they laugh all the way to a Swiss Bank.

Which of those politicians should you be calling "scum"?

Which companies pay no tax? Search the database

Which companies are not paying tax

and another green bites the dust waters through stupidity oh well starting to weed out the con artist without using force just may be some that voted for them will come up with some excuse like I'm being victimized neil

And in the interests of balance

Senator-elect Heather Hill (Queensland 1998–1999, elected in 1998, election disqualified 1999 after eligibility challenged due to her dual citizenship, joined City Country Alliance

• Senator Rod Culleton (Western Australia, elected at the 2016 election), term was due to expire 30 June 2019. However he was disqualified from the senate after having been found to have had a larceny charge in New South Wales at the time of the election.

Sad loss to the parliament, I reckon - I have a lot of respect for both Ludlum and Waters.

In a country where half the population was either born, or their parents were born, overseas - it's not a stretch that many would have dual citizenship that they were unaware of. It might have been a bit remiss not to check, I assume they were quite busy coming up to pre-selection and it probably slipped their mind.

Certainly I don't see anything "stupid" or "criminal" in their actions. I can understand that the meaning behind the requirement of ONLY having Australian citizenship is that we don't want our legislators having a conflict of interest with another country they hold ties to... but let's face it, it was NZ and Canada fer chrissakes, not North Korea.

I find the "snout in the Travelling Allowance trough" much more morally bankrupt, especially Smokin' Joe Hockey telling us all "The age of entitlement is over" while he claims travel allowance to stay in a house owned by his wife.

So I just read that Waters parents are both Australian and she herself returned to Australia when she was 11 months. Whilst I understand that the law is the law, I can not for the life of me understand why this should be of concern to anyone.

what part off must revoke duel citizenship don't some people get to be a member off Australian parliament neil

I am sure Neil that you understand that these people did not knowingly stand for election deliberately not filling in a form to renounce citizenship, what would be the point of that. When my parents had me become a citizen at the age of 9 I did not read the fine print, I just assumed that I was now purely Australian. I served 12 years in the R.A.A.F. without ever being asked if I was a dual citizen. When I joined the RAAF I was required to swear allegiance to Queen (apparently UK and Aus have the same Queen) and her heirs and successors.

and another green bites the dust waters through stupidity oh well starting to weed out the con artist without using force just may be some that voted for them will come up with some excuse like I'm being victimized neil

In what sense do you believe Waters and Ludnam are con artists. please inform me what the nature of this con is?