other car types?

nomadpete

The hump backed Vanguard was 1949 -1952. What did you expect from England right after the war?

But I'll never forgive them for putting the column shift on the right hand side of the steering wheel. What were they thinking? The later models were ok especially once they put a six in it.

Not a huge fan of Triumph cars, but their bikes are fantastic.

In between workshops I took a job spannering them for a couple of years, not hard to see why they failed.

I don't mind going for a squirt on a late 60's 650, or a good 5 speed 750, but happy to hand them back too.

About 15 years ago I bought a Speed Triple from a bloke in Melbourne. Unfortunately for some reason best known to himself, he'd dropped out the original engine and replaced it with a Daytona donk... but hadn't replaced the computer. Instead he had a mechanic manually tune it until it was humming perfectly.

Not long after I bought it the engine light went on, so of course I rode it up to Ulverstone (north west Tas) as that was the only Triumph service centre at the time. Of course they tuned it according to the computer. Naturally it didn't run as smoothly and in fact ran out of fuel on the way home.

In the end they manually tuned it but it was always a worry to me, so I sold it. When it was on song though I loved that bike. Even now when I hear that distinctive Triumph exhaust note I miss it.

• 4 months later...

How about the first car's to crack 100mph,

Stanly-steamer, there was one in Castle Hill, New South Wales where it was driven in the late 1920s. A Stanley Steamer set the world record for the fastest mile in an automobile (28.2 seconds) in 1906. This record (127 mph (204 km/h)) lasted a while.

Doble luxurious steam-car owned by Howard Hughes who took it up to 132.5 mph in 1925!

The killer of steam was the "registration by weight", couldn't get Light water.

spacesailor

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The Standard Vanguard engine is still going strong in the TEA20 Ferguson tractor.

It will keep running even when the inside of the bores look like a model railway with multiple tracks.

But the chrome still got scored badly in one I saw.

We use one at the airstrip and it is pretty gutless. A look inside would be interesting, but I don't have the energy to work on it while it can still run the mower.

A great trick to recover a carboned engine is.....

Drain oil, remove plugs and fill combustion chamber with acetone can be mixed with kero or atf fluid.

Let sit, add as is slowly drains. May take days. Turn over engine on starter a few times.

Repeat.

If you use 4 Lt, then that's good.

Drain, add oil.

Can also be used in oil paths to remove sludge and clean up top of head.

Have seen it done and recover a motor I thought was a boat anchor.

I have done that by pouring water down the intake of a shocker of a Chev 6 motor I had once in a shocker of a car (1942 military Chevrolet). Got the engine hot at the time give it mid revs, pour the water in at a good rate (but don't kill it) and drain the oil afterwards. All the carbon disappeared.. Acetone in oil will soften engine GRUNGE but I don't believe in flushing oil.. Its' got no guts in it at all and the last thing you want with a sludgy motor is for it to come off the internals and circulate in the oil ways . I always wonder how a water methanol assist for take off would work in a U/L plane. It was used for quite a few military pistons and the RR dart in the F 27 Fokker . Nev