Culling Crocodiles.

farri

Anyone got some nice joints of Crock, I'll eat it, very bland taste.Used to get a bit of Roo some time back but it dried up when the supermarkets started selling it, $15 a kilo.

spacesailor

There's a pub near us run by a South African that does croc burgers - as far as I can tell, it's 100% croc as it doesn't look like its processed at all...

My son was feeling unusually adventurous with food one day and ordered one..

He has never been adventurous since.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The argument is that the big crock being there was safer for the population of Rocky. Kill him off and the small crocks battle it out for top spot making life less safe for people. What a load of rubbish. They are saying that a couple of 2 meter crocks having a scrap is more dangerous than the one big 17 footer quietly laying in wait.

Once again a case of say anything to push your point of view, even if it doesn't stack up.

• 4 weeks later...
I`m caught between a rock and a hard place on culling! I see every living thing as an individual! it matters naught to the Croc that was shot, that there is an enormous amount of Crocs left, for it, it`s life has ended, on the other hand, I believe we humans have a right to protect ourselves from anything that threatens our survival, it`s what and how we choose to protect ourselves, that is the real issue.

Frank.

Humans are the top of the food chain. I say this when I realise that my meeting with a polar Bear, or a Grizzly could be bad for my health if I didn't have the intelligence to be carrying an intelligently designed method of making the Bear change it's plans. . slung across my shoulders. . .

Humans have been top of the FC since the stone age, and long should this continue. What REALLY needs a cull, is the SJW Snowflake people who whinge and moan about stuff about which that they have no concept of in real life situations. . . and care even less about the result of their incessant bloody moaning upon those who are forced by new laws to have to live with it . . .

OK, I have been around gulf country in the past. Sizable crocs could be found in billabongs over 60k inland. During the wet season, they wander a long way from rivers and ocean. Retreating water during dry season leaves them sitting in any unlikely bog hole.I wouldn't let my kids hang around the local swimming hole unless I'd already gone spotlighting the night before (look for beady little red eyes). And thrown a mother-in-law or two in, just to be sure.

I reckon that a Mills Bomb would be more effective at smokin' out crocs. . . .

I`m caught between a rock and a hard place on culling! I see every living thing as an individual! it matters naught to the Croc that was shot, that there is an enormous amount of Crocs left, for it, it`s life has ended, on the other hand, I believe we humans have a right to protect ourselves from anything that threatens our survival, it`s what and how we choose to protect ourselves, that is the real issue.

Frank.

I agree completely, Frank. Humans are now in charge of the garden, so we need to manage it.

Nature is not always cuddly and feel-good like many would like it to be.

Decades ago the timber wolf was re-introduced to Yellowstone National Park. With the return of an apex predator, elk and deer numbers were controlled, the herds became healthier as the sick and lame individuals were culled naturally. Overgrazing of tree seedlings was stopped and forests recovered. Beavers returned and built dams. The ecosystem quickly recovered.

Nearby cattlemen, who had vigorously opposed the return of wolves, lost some stock, but some benefitted by hosting tourists- who got to hear and see the pitiful sight of packs of the noble wolf worrying their hapless prey to death, and eating still-living animals.

The weaker ones are culled first in nature. That's how the improvement happens. Nev

My very good friend and ex- subcontract employee Marvin, moved to the Gold coast some 12 years back. . .His Wife Becky was terrified at the thought of the Aussie creepy crawlies, sharks and especially Crocs. I've see their regular posts on Bookface ever since they arrived in Australia,. . .they are settling in extremely well, and his 2 new Kids, Lucas and Millie are doing superbly well, Luke as a surfer, and Millie as a gymnast. . .no mention of horrible wildlife . . .Marv has asked me if I know any pilots there who could take up his kids for a flight, - he used to fly with me in the aircraft we built in 2002, and was a natural student pilot. . . . I've said NO yer bugger,. . .go and find an airfield and pay the pilot yourself to take them up ! He says he's living not far away from a place called Jacobs Wells. . which I gather is some sort of flying site.. . .. If there is anyone living there who want's to give his kids a flight, and they are dead keen. . . that's great, BUT he's doing

OK as an Acadademician ( teacher ) so charge the bugger the full price of the bloody fuel the Pommie barstard. . . ! ! !

Bloke who drove a boat and gave a commentary on wild crocs on the Daintree when we visited earlier this year. Said that people who advocated culling were ignorant of the ecological balance in wild rivers. Said that the crocs will control the population of Bull sharks which he said were a credible threat to humans. It could be argued (cynically...) that he was protecting his patch, being involved in showing we, the gawping public, these fearsome monsters. He did not give the appearance of a greenie/democrat voter but a genuine worker who had spent years on prawn trawlers and diving for his keep. Said he was victim of irukandji jellyfish 20 years ago and had not been back in tidal waters since. Suffered 2 heart attacks in the immediate aftermath but survived. Just adding this to the discussion. As you all know, having a strong opinion either way is anathema to me! Don

Please, everyone. We need you to petition the government to start culling of irukandjii jellyfish. They are an increasing danger to humans. Uncontrolled, they have been spreading south and are now common in Moreton Bay. Without culling, its only a matter of time before they become a threat to Sydnesiders, too.

Unfortunately, there is no threat to politicians in Canberra

Don, no offense intended. Irukandjii injury is terrible. I was poking fun at the whole culling debate - whether it be crocks or sharks, the public seem to think that they can always be 'made safe' by killing off whatever it is that they fear.

I believe that irukandjii and box jellyfish have indeed been on the rise. The reason seems to be linked to feral pigs! The pigs have discovered that turtle eggs are a good food source. So we have less turtles. Turtles eat box jellyfish. (And unfortunately for them, plastic bags).

Result? Less natural consumption of box jellyfish, more jellyfish reaching southern shores. Bigger problem. Caused by hoomin beans.

Leaving it to a natural balance is a pipedream. Once we interfere to a great extent there is such distortion controls are necessary. Look at cats, wild dogs, cane toads, rats, mice plagues Locusts etc Humans. There's a plague of them. I lived at the sea as a youth. Bull sharks were never heard of when I was young . They seem to thrive in artificial canals semi salted stagnant estuaries. Nev

Aw com on Phil. Chalkies educate the world (or try to). I used to be one myself so that proves they are OK.( Well some of them, perhaps?) Nev.

AHA. . .I just managed to 'Hack' my way into my old email account Nev. . .I had one with Yahoo and they got hacked twice, and since then I've not been able to access all the contacts . . but Now,. . .I have ! I have had some good advice from a really naughty 'Hacker' bloke who has just started flying at our airfield. He worked in 'Coding' on several systems for 15 years. . . . He's a Solicitor now, . . as I've said many times before, they are all bloody Crooks at heart. He is an Expert par excellence at doing naughty things with computers and software. ( And I used to think that I was reasonably good at it. . .! )

The upshot is that I've found yours and a few other RF 'Personnel' email addresses. . .so expect a direct Christmas greeting, . . . unless you want to change your addy for self protection !

I'm currently trying out a new VPN, called 'TunnelBear' which is quite handy for criticising the Government. . .well,. . it gives me a small level of protection anyhow, I'm currently posting from Lithuania. . . .

I thought the name was.Flake

spacesailor

Nah, that's what they all it in Burleigh Marr's Fish Shop on Breakfast Creek in Brissy. . . .the best fish shop in the known Galaxy that. . . . .My Mate Gary and I, used ot innocently catch Turbot in Moreton Bay, and then flog them thru the back door at Chinese restaurants for as much as $250 dollars a fish, mind you, they were bloody BIG fish, and the restaurant would slice them up into loads of small steaks and sell them on the plate for around twelve dollars a go.to the local Chinkies. . .( Delicacy you see ). we got 'Done' after a year or so of doing this, due to a chance encounter with wildlife and fisheries in the end,. . for not having a proper licence for fishing and the appropriate refrigeration on our 16ft skiff. . .they let us off with a warning that time. . .

The cost of the licence and a bigger boat with a fridge for commercial fishing scared us to death so we packed it in. . .Often went out in the boat and caught stuff for family consumption mind you ( ! ! ! ) Those Turbot were really stupid fish and used to almost jump into the boat. . . . Obviously popular since the City Fathers named a city street after the genus. . . .

To this day,. . Moreton Bay was the best place that I have ever 'Fished'. . .so many kinds of sea creatures live there. . . I've tried to explain Moreton Bay Bugs to people in the UK and they won't believe how big the buggers were. . . forget yer average tiny King Prawns. . . . We used to have a family and friends SEAFOOD BBQ every weekend. . . . ahhh. .. memories. . .