Culling Crocodiles.

farri

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

,. .. I had not frequented the plaice since very late 1983. . . . they needed my custom to keep going ?

( Plaice ! HA. . .see what I did there ? . . NO,. .. oh well. .. never mind. . )

Thanks for that Pete,. . . . .SAD FACE. . ..

Perhaps it was as a result of blokes like Gary and myself who precipitiated their downfall by illegally fishing for Turbot and undercutting them ?. . ( I never saw that fish on their menu. . .) .I KNOW for a fact that there were dozens of people doing exactly the same thing as we were. . ., but this was in the seventies. . . .I wonder when they packed it in and why. . .

PS,. . .Er, what was 'Cloudland' ? ?

Cloudland was an iconic dance hall that looked a bit like one scoop of Sydney's opera house. You could see it up on top of a steep hill between Brekky Creek and Brissy.

Got knocked down one Sunday night (avoiding any conflict) to make way for expensive high density development.

Though, a Brissie friend of mine says Brekky Creek Wharf has all but been demolished.. is that true? If so, a real shame.. When I lived in Brissie (Carina way), I enjoyed heading over for a steak.. and I think there was a Mexican restaurant there as well... Was it Taco Bills?

Back in the good old days, I did my very best to keep them in business. I spent most of my 'disposable income' on seduction dinners at Brekky Ck eateries. Alas, all gone now. (My money as well as the restaurants).

Last time I looked it was all soulless office space. Where do amorous people go these days for their seductions?

I`ve just got back from my regular Croc spotting flight ,In the Drifter, up the Mulgrave river. I know where I will regularly find several Crocs`, over 3 mts long and some smaller ones, sunning themselves in winter but I havn`t seen a single one for the last 6 weeks, so, " Where are they?" They are there somewhere.

As I see it, unless every Crock is taken out and that`s not going to happen,nor am I suggesting it should,culling some isn`t going make much difference because when one dominant Croc is taken out, another one soon takes it`s place and because you will never know exactly where a Croc will be,you need to be Croc wise when in Croc country.

This was sent to me by a guy from Brisbane, who I took flying, while he was up here...I had to convert from pdf to jpeg to be able to post it here so I hope you can read it.

[ATTACH]49049._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Frank.

78979563_20170711153109567.pdfCroc(Large).thumb.jpg.4641230b56e0a9821b4a4f1ecce5ac68.jpg

This morning I took a young couple from Germany, flying in the Drifter...In the Mulgrave river, about 3/4 of a kilometer, in a straight line, from my main strip, was a Croc, over 4 meters long,gently swimming up stream, on the surface...A tinnie went past it, no more than 10 mts away from it and the Croc just gently kept on swimming, guys in the tinnie probably didn`t even see it... I circled around it a couple of times so Andre could get a good look at it,then it went to the bottom...No more sight of it but it was there...As I`ve said in my post above, you`ll never know where one or more will be.

Frank.

This morning I took a young couple from Germany, flying in the Drifter...In the Mulgrave river, about 3/4 of a kilometer, in a straight line, from my main strip, was a Croc, over 4 meters long,gently swimming up stream, on the surface...A tinnie went past it, no more than 10 mts away from it and the Croc just gently kept on swimming, guys in the tinnie probably didn`t even see it... I circled around it a couple of times so Andre could get a good look at it,then it went to the bottom...No more sight of it but it was there...As I`ve said in my post above, you`ll never know where one or more will be.

Frank.

When I am next in Aus, I am going to look you up... Be an experience to see...

Keep in mind, there are fresh water and salt water Crocodiles`, it`s the salt water ones the are the baddies...With the end of Croc hunting and with each hatching that occurs ever year, the numbers have been increasing and will continue to increase...They`re able to adapt to fresh water so they`ve gone further up the creeks and rivers and you will find them in fresh water and they are just as dangerous.

This is the box jellyfish stinger season, in Nth Queensland and what we call, stinger net enclosures, are put out off the beaches for those who want to go swimming, hopefully! they will keep the Jellyfish out, however, the nets don`t keep the Crocs` out and there have been several Crocs removed from inside of these nets...At night, the nets are lit by floodlight and there`s a real danger you might be swimming with a Croc,so,if a Jellyfish don`t get you, a Crock might...In my opinion, it`s not safe anymore to swim inside these nets at night and you need to be very careful, if you are the first person going for a swim in the morning...It`s officially the start of the Croc breeding season and already 2 Crocs` have been sighted off the Cairns Esplanade.

This is the Croc we saw, when flying yesterday,Andre took the photo,it looks small because I was at 700 feet agl...I`m fairly certain, it`s the one below.

[ATTACH]49051._xfImport[/ATTACH]

I took this photo, from my Tinni.

spacer.png

807587093_AndresCroc(Large).jpg.c9a12e589fdb41eedbfd6ffb272e0990.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Someone in our area has had enough of the Crocodiles...Some unknown person shot this Croc about 2 or 3 nights ago...The white spot in the middle of the head, is the bullet hole...A dead Croc sinks to the bottom then it takes a couple of days for a it to come to the surface, due to the buildup of gas.

A local neighbour has his boat moored in the Mulgrave river,in front of his house, half a kilometer up the road, saw the dead Croc being pushed along by the tide and came and got me...I took the photos.

As I was at the boat, with the owner, taking photos, a local doctor and his lady partner turned up to have a look...It turned out she was the lady who was in the water with her friend when her friend was taken by a Croc...The Doctors partner, looked at the Croc, went back up on the bank, sat down and cried.

Human remains found inside crocodile caught in far north Queensland

[ATTACH]49090._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]49091._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]49092._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Frank.

2010446753_4.4(Large).thumb.jpg.5589fff9709e3a4626e6febbeeed6b9d.jpg

871515250_C1(Large).thumb.jpg.8bf412686baf3ed9a04430ee2ec18eef.jpg

2129464928_C2(Large).thumb.jpg.0e1351d6e4ee84497f59d0944dcc167c.jpg