An Attack of the Vapers

old man emu

I can recall finding a small bottle of some strangely-marked clear liquid, on the beach, about 20 years ago. It only had "TOM" marked on it, and a Netherlands address. It took me about 10 years to find out it was bottle of cannabis vaping liquid.

The level of toxic compounds in these vaping liquids is enough to make anyone with even a modest level of chemistry to become alarmed.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

They are BOTH dieing habits anyhow. DO YOU want to be breathing their 2nd hand smoke  like we all used to have to put up with when we were eating out.  Nev

Nev, Spacey is pointing out the ineffectiveness of prohibition.

22 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

" today will kill off vaping " Just like yesterday's " killing off smoking " .

The difference is that the Government has only a little control over the availability of tobacco imports and sales since the use of tobacco has been a cultural thing for 500 years or so. The Government, however, has the ability to stop vapes entering the country in the quantities they have been. I'm sure that there will be illegal imports, but vapes have not been around long enough to become as strong a cultural thing as tobacco.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, octave said:

I would suggest that anti-smoking campaigns have been reasonably successful.     https://www.cancer.org.au/assets/pdf/good-news-as-national-smoking-rates-decline

That and also pricing it out of reach of most people's budgets. It's hard to imagine now how awful it was in times gone by having to continually breathe second hand smoke. When I volunteer at the local museum, there's an average of around 35 workshop volunteers there, and there wouldn't be more than one or two smokers. Wind the clock back and two thirds at least would have been smokers.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, willedoo said:

pricing it out of reach of most people's budgets

Unfortunately, it is most often those from the lowest economic strata who still smoke. It is little wonder that they become homeless when a packet of smokes costs well above $30 for twenty.

• Like 1

When I joined the RAAF band in 1979 the majority of my colleagues smoked. We used to travel around a lot on coaches and RAAF aircraft, mainly Hercules C130. I used to come home from work stinking of secondhand smoke.   I can clearly remember the day the RAAF changed its tune on smoking.  We were traveling interstate and the loadmaster was giving the usual passenger briefing that we had heard many times before. This time there was an additional item.   "As of  0700 hours today smoking is strictly prohibited on all RAAF aircraft".  You should have seen the look on the faces of the smokers.    One guy complained who bitterly is no longer with us, He died in his 50s of emphysema.   I remember he always used to say that it had not been scientifically proven that smoking was harmful. 

• Informative 2
  • Sad 1

Nicotine is extremely addictive. . I don't know HOW the tobacco Lobby sleep at night. They were always aware of the risks involved and don't care if people die as long as the young ones get hooked to replace them.  Nev

• Agree 2

Opiates,  Are as bad ! .

But do people  ' even ' long time " pain relief " users . Get so addicted,  they go on a rampage to fuel their addiction .

I was given copious amounts When hospitalised as a child .

Weird dreams then !.

spacesailor

• Informative 1

You don't realise how advanced we are for low levels of smoking and smoker restrictions, until you go to Europe. In Greece and Spain especially, you can't eat a meal without being assaulted with huge levels of secondhand smoke. Virtually everyone there ends their meal with a fag or two or three.

The saddest sight I saw was in Istanbul's Sabiha Gokcen airport. They had a full sealed "smokers room" inside the non-smoking airport, and it was full of cabin crew and pilots, mostly from Eastern Europe, all puffing away desperately, getting their fill of nicotine before they had to board their non-smoking flights. The worst part was, a lot of the Eastern European pilots were already overweight and unhealthy-looking.

What amazed me even more was that Spain has numerous large and impressive-looking hospitals - all solely dedicated to cancer treatments! Even more staggering - their health care system is free to all, even tourists!

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1