Where are the car rallies?

pmccarthy

I was watching European rally crashes on YouTube. Most entertaining, particularly when those young people run out onto the track and tip them up again. Why don’t we have car rallies like that in Australia, I would go and watch. Or perhaps we do, but I have not heard of them.

Because we have the same problem as the USA...
our V8 taxi racing is the same as NASCAR. takes all the money/supporters and importantly media coverage.

leaves everything else tiny by comparison. I miss speedweek on sunday mornings which used to cover the rallies and a few other motorsports

Edited by spenaroo

I think there are still motorsports events happening.  My son 34 participate in his first event at the age of 15 at Sutton near Canberra in our old family Magna.Then many track days at Wakefield Park near Goulburn in an MX5. In Victoria he took part in events at Lake Mountain. Now he lives in NZ where amateur motorsport is quite popular. His motorsport club does several events a year where they have permission to close sections of public road.

Motorsport is a great outlet in a relatively safe setting.

• Like 1

Wakefield was a great track, sadly currently closed for normal operations due to complaints from new residents about noise.

Ridiculous, the track was there first and a big economic earner.  The decision might have changed by now I hope.

I road the track just before it opened, a hoot.

• Informative 1

The mechanic opposite my workshop is restoring his FJ Holden sedan. He's only a year younger than me (he's 72). His former wife bought it for him for his 30th birthday! (in running and licenced condition).

I can't believe the level of rust in it, that he's repairing! It's been written-off 3 times, been heavily whacked up the rear by another car, the body is so out of shape, he's got it on a rotisserie, and is jacking and pulling everywhere, to get doors and floors and roof and trunk lid to align.

He's welding in patch panels galore, some he's getting from Rare Spares, and some he's just had pressed up out of sheet metal.

The Rare Spares stuff has gone through the roof as far as pricing goes, it used to be quite reasonably priced - not so, now.

I can't see where he's going to get his money back on it, the FJ's don't bring the big money like Monaros, Sandmans, Toranas, or even HR's, do.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Mr.Vegemite said:

The roads are barely good enough for normal traffic let alone high speed racing. 

Thats why it is so much fun.

And even without Targa, there are lots of wannabe rally drivers. Just try driving to the conditions and soon there will be a boy racer on your back bumper, or passing you on blind corners - no wonder they have to repaint the double lines every year, they get so much tyre wear.

• Sad 1

Anyhow the rules have been extensively revamped to UP the experience of drivers required. It's hard to view this kind of event and the circuit certainly has no protection for cars that leave the road and I wonder how crashworthy some of the cars are structurally. I've seen enough people killed in car racing already and don't go to see THAT and never did.. Most times I was in the pits as part of the crew  (Open wheelers) so it's a different aspect . you can wander around and converse with anyone who is not busy.. No class distinction there THEN.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1