Electric car thread

spenaroo

46 minutes ago, red750 said:

I wouldn't call these ugly.

byd-han-front.thumb.jpg.bbdc650b1e12251b34695ae21298288d.jpgbyd-han-rear.thumb.jpg.5c6e99f910e12d053e8fb3a8e67fcf2a.jpgBYDGT.thumb.jpg.3d1ab34b6e60d95067cba97fc94cf31c.jpg

Alright  Alright

That is a lot nicer than a Prius, which set low standards for style.

But even if I did have the required dosh I still wouldn't buy one anyway.

Getting into it would be OK but to get out I'd have to roll out onto the ground on my hands and knees.

3 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Cars for purposes. 

Does that mean. ALL commuter's cars should be 

Single seater's.  Or two seater. 

" microlino " electric bubble car .

save a lot of space for the rest of the ' noncommuter's ' .

AND 

It's an EV . 

HO ! , SO WONDERFUL .

Two cars per ' old type ' parking spot .

The government should buy them for those requiring the ( old) mobility scooter .

spacesailor

Check out the small electric commuter two seaters that are cheap and cheerful in Europe esp France. Registered like scooters  and driven by 14 to 100 year Olds.

Some can fit 3 in a car space on the kerb.

Most of us don't need a two tonne car. The explosion in vehicle weight and size is ridiculous . The tax system actually subsidies any wanker with a ABN to get a huge SUV or ute they don't need.

We have become like America where a giant ute is the best seller for 40 years strait;(f series ford).

Look at the average vehicles weight today in it's probably 1800 kg. Years ago that got you a V12 BMW limousine. Now it's just a family hack SUV. 

Want a new Land Crusher,  it's more than 2.5 ton but add five adults, full luggage and full fuel and accessories ie fridge, rack etc

Now it's legally overloaded.

It's a sick joke on us and the planet.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, facthunter said:

We are worried about cost. Now it's gotta look pretty. Isn't function the issue?  You don't see the shape of your car when YOU are driving it How many  modern Buildings look good. We accept small ranges with most motorbikes. Bit over 200K for most.    You leave your car in the sun mostly at the railway station. A ute with a pile of batteries in the back would do that job and save stuffing up an ICE engine with short runs. .  Nev

I think the point I was trying to make is really good design can be both attractive, efficient and inexpensive. The real cost of great design centre to a car maker is miniscule. Almost the marketing postage budget.

That is the inherent beauty of great design, it's not just a make product and sell it. It must make you want to buy it, we are emotive animals. Now one wants to be seen in a ugly suit or dress, nor a fugly car.

Will you buy the car that looks like a bad acid dream or the pretty one? What about resale?

Great design still looks attractive and relevant decades later, the rest are just the result of a lack of imagination and laughed at before crushing.

Also if the manufacturer thinks good design is a optional expense, what do they think of quality, safety, reliability?

They all cost far more and are easy targets for savings.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, nomadpete said:

Alright  Alright

That is a lot nicer than a Prius, which set low standards for style.

But even if I did have the required dosh I still wouldn't buy one anyway.

Getting into it would be OK but to get out I'd have to roll out onto the ground on my hands and knees.

Yes but that's a nice looking car.

Just like a women, some are worth the effort and pain 😜

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, red750 said:

Is this more your style?

Buicklesabre.thumb.jpg.8a1e0366f60cd9b053a672f215a7a224.jpg

Designed by a guy, who knew a guy, that knew a guy that makes pizza in the Bronx.

When shitfaced one night, he got out the crayons.

He figured, like non authentic pizza, you just add more shit to make it better.

That is the super hot curry of noxious roadkill in the car world. Overpowering, an assault on the senses, know to cause instant nausea. May cause blindness. Unsafe to experience even at distance.

All added features are included to cover up the taste of it.

Actually, it is brilliant art though, nothing says more to me about America as a post modernist art installation than that car.

In years to come the alien history professors will use it as fundamental turning point for the self  extinction of humans. 

Good design is that serious.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, red750 said:

Those red cars, by the way, are BYD - Build Your Dream. The top two photos are the 4 door Han, and the other is the 2 door GT.

They aren't practical. They are so low to the ground  they would be spreading the gravel for me on my driveway.

• Informative 1

There are about 100 EV manufacturers in China & there are some very futuristic designs. Most we will never see. It has always amused me that critics always reckon EVs weigh too much but most are lighter than the current crop of 70 to 100k SUVs and also most cost less as well.

Mine weighs 1670kg about 300kgs more than my old ICE car with an empty fuel tank. The EV weight doesn't change from full to empty & as the battery is at the bottom of the car the C of G is also low providing the basis for good handling. Add aerodynamics & RWD & instant torque from 150kW motor & acceleration from a foot plant is awesome.  18 inch wheels also provide decent ground clearance.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, nomadpete said:

I may be missing something, which is not unusual, but why would getting in and out of an EV be any different to an ICE car of similar design?

There are EVs in SUVs, utes, and I think 4x4s (though not sure on the latter).

https://www.hyundai.com/uk/en/models.html

https://www.mg.co.uk/new-cars/mg4-ev?cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=17665130066&cq_con=136839517165&cq_term=mg electric&cq_med=&cq_plac=&cq_net=g&cq_pos=&cq_plt=gp&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyKurBhD5ARIsALamXaHvBCbDNhlcr-ZINxcWQivtFDK6-mZIqrW8N5iowp-MHu49zGHTtnkaAshTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/

https://uk.smart.com/en/models/hashtag-one/?campid=ps_always-on_google_search-non-brand_think_uk_conversion_text-ad_all electric cars uk_17329183564&gad_source=1

And of course, your big utes: https://forms.mbtrucks.co.uk/request-a-callback-ecanter/?utm_campaign=&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=ev truck&hsa_kw=ev truck&hsa_tgt=kwd-337267911993&hsa_ver=3&hsa_grp=154381569783&hsa_mt=p&hsa_ad=681598047316&hsa_acc=8086597668&hsa_cam=20778199584&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_src=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyKurBhD5ARIsALamXaGPRpGDrjhDgtTUq5L_0Diu1CyX-Fw2woogT6alAz5g6BvCi2PaLDsaAqlVEALw_wcB

https://www.cinch.co.uk/electric-cars/suvs

Even a truck

https://forms.mbtrucks.co.uk/request-a-callback-ecanter/?utm_campaign=&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=ev truck&hsa_kw=ev truck&hsa_tgt=kwd-337267911993&hsa_ver=3&hsa_grp=154381569783&hsa_mt=p&hsa_ad=681598047316&hsa_acc=8086597668&hsa_cam=20778199584&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_src=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyKurBhD5ARIsALamXaGPRpGDrjhDgtTUq5L_0Diu1CyX-Fw2woogT6alAz5g6BvCi2PaLDsaAqlVEALw_wcB

Some of these should be relatively easy to get in and out of.

As far as cars go, which to me are not the prettiest things anyway, they mostly look good. There are some shippy ICE car desaigns as well... the HQ and HG holdens come to mind.. yet well kept original examples can attract the GDP of a small island.

Even the Tesla S and Y models look OK. The Cybertruck is pure ugly, though and its  release caused a drop in TSLA's share price.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I may be missing something, which is not unusual, but why would getting in and out of an EV be any different to an ICE car of similar design?

You are missing my sarcasm.

My obtuse point being that as far as utility is concerned, what is under the bonnet has nothing to do with comfort.

EV or not, I cannot exit that car with grace.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Generally people are conservative. And I'm not talking about politics. When it comes to choosing a car, people are afraid of change and will resort to any feeble excuse to justify their choice, which is most often based on emotions rather than logic. I try to poke fun at that.

Personally I am more practical in my selection criteria. I favour reliability, cost, seating quality and ground clearance more than appearance.

• Like 1

There was a video around of a 60+ guy who came into some money and shouted himself a real sporty looking car - Ferrari or such. Had to roll out on the ground to get out of it. I have difficulty with larger/higher vehicles. Very awkward getting in and out of a friends Landcruiser. No problem with my Festiva.

whitefestiva1.thumb.jpg.4692d99b113c0c3eb9dbe521f4c4e543.jpg

• Informative 1

Found this on Youtube.

Heard an interesting hack on Friday. A guy who used to come to the Men's Shed and required a 4-wheel walker has not been able to come for over six months as his condition has deteriorated. We heard from his wife that he has a plastic bag on the car seat (passenger side). He can sit on the bag and the two sides of the bag slide on each other as he rotates to get in or out of the car. it's a pity that plastic bags are disappearing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, red750 said:

Found this on Youtube.

I can relate to this when visiting my son last time he lent us this car to get around in.  Loads of fun to drive but comical to get in and out of.

honda.thumb.jpg.8235623f8a01c5f2b5e62b34c22bb17b.jpg

As far as Teslas go I don't really see the Model 3 as being ugly. The Model S to me at least has less pleasing proportions. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This is my son's Model 3 the day he picked it up. Fun fact about 3 months later I had an "incident" that resulted in a dent in this vehicle.

Tesla.thumb.jpg.81b4a2f47a16131c08c795263e342b16.jpg

15 hours ago, spacesailor said:

those on their ' mobility scooter's ' are breaking some obscure " bureaucratic " .law .

You are soooooo wrong! I'm not going to let you get away with that claim unless you can post a link to back it up.

Too hard to find a link? Type "are electric mobility scooters allowed on the road" into your search engine and this will pop up https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/pedestrians/mobility-scooters

And when you open the link you can read: 

Mobility scooters, or ‘gophers’, are classified as motorised wheelchairs. Mobility scooters are mobility aids with two or more wheels and have a top speed of 10km/h on level ground.

You don’t need to register or get third-party insurance for a mobility scooter in NSW. People with mobility scooters don’t need a licence to use one in NSW.  

As I said elsewhere, way police react to the community is a reflection on the way the community reacts to those policing it. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2