Electric car thread

spenaroo

Governments don't OWN the Power stations OME. Perhaps it would be better IF they  did.  Why let overseas people supply OUR power? Someone also said Coal and nuclear can be easily ramped up and down WRONG!!! Battery is near instant and something like Pumped Hydro not far behind. A fall f less then 300 metres is enough. .Critical Coal takes days and only operates efficiently in a narrow band near MAX. output.  Nev

• Informative 1

I do not doubt that the coal lobby and the foreign owners of our power stations are lobbying against EV's.

Because the adoption of EV's will hasten the move away from centralised power generation. Once EV's are available with the ability to back feed into the household, there will be a rush toward disconnecting from the grid.

I'm pretty sure most newer power stations are about 50% foreign owned. In my opinion it is negligent of governments to permit  foreign ownership of essential services.

• Agree 2

By utilising a part of the energy in the Batteries in some EV's with  negotiated conditions  that energy can help stabilise the grid where loads are changing quickly. The term Baseload and using "technology" like sequestering carbon is a distraction used by those who wish to  confuse the issue.  Utilising batteries is the fastest easiest way to cover this problem short term while you (the system) makes other arrangements. Coal power stations usually FAIL under high loads  and SUDDENLY and take ages to get back on line. You can't usually get the required parts from  anywhere as they are long out of date near obsolete.  Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1

Most of the current EV models available have V2L (vehicle to load). Mine does so I can take an electric jug, cooker or toaster with me & use it anywhere. It will also be useful during power cuts at home. There are some standards which allow a vehicle to be part of the household electricity system. These are V2H (vehicle to home & V2G (vehicle to grid). Basically this allows a car to be used as a household battery charged by your solar panels. The standard requires specific wiring with load sharing technology etc.

In coming years I think this will become common as there is already fairly high uptake of solar systems with batteries due to the very low rates for sending your solar generation to the grid, typically 5-7 cents/kWH when they are charging 50-60 cents/kWH at peak times.

My EV has a 64 kWH battery which is enough to power my whole house for 9 days at my current usage figures. Governments and power companies are doing all they can to avoid these things as they can't make money out of it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Politicians talk of baseload power & think that it means supply at peak demand. Baseload power doesn't mean anything other than that's what a coal fired power station runs at. Coal fired (& Nuclear) power stations have to run at maximum output to get peak efficiency. They can't just be turned up when peak demand is there or down when demand is low. Baseload is a myth. It is peak demand that needs to be catered for. Battery storage can do this.

• Agree 3

The fluctuations are what has to be managed and have GRID synchronisation. Having a standby power station makes no sense economically just sing there most of the time.. Diesel power covers a lot of this but at great cost and it's hard on the equipment and pollutes a lot. Remote areas are always going to be an issue but OFF grid is used where the cost of connecting is high enough to justify it, not just remote areas. . Pump hydro can be used in a lot of Australia, but not the flatter areas. There would be other options like winding a heavy object up a slope when the sun is shining and the wind is blowing.  It could be a whole exciting new era and it sure suites Australia.  Nev

Edited by facthunter
more content.
  • Like 2

Tesla's look look a half sucked lolly.

Some new designs really have looks a blind man would grimace at.

All offending designers should be sent to Italy for a few years of training or taken out back and dealt with.

Years ago, no manufacture worth a damn would dare not having a Italian based design team or at least educate them there. Even the English knew this was essential or you bought the design talent from a Italian styling house. Hence the 1960/7o's Triumphs used Italian styling and were attractive. 

I am not saying every Italian design is pretty but they realise design is a Artform not a drawing board.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's amazing that people will buy a car because of its outwards appearance and the Hell with what really matters in a vehicle used for transport. Consider the Edsel. Ugly as a hatful of arseholes, but probably as good a vehicle performance-wise as any contemporary vehicle in its class. The VW Beetle is probably another good example of an Ugly Duckling that was a reliability swan.

Cars for purposes. 

Does that mean. ALL commuter's cars should be 

Single seater's.  Or two seater. 

" microlino " electric bubble car .

save a lot of space for the rest of the ' noncommuter's ' .

AND 

It's an EV . 

HO ! , SO WONDERFUL .

Two cars per ' old type ' parking spot .

The government should buy them for those requiring the ( old) mobility scooter .

spacesailor

We are worried about cost. Now it's gotta look pretty. Isn't function the issue?  You don't see the shape of your car when YOU are driving it How many  modern Buildings look good. We accept small ranges with most motorbikes. Bit over 200K for most.    You leave your car in the sun mostly at the railway station. A ute with a pile of batteries in the back would do that job and save stuffing up an ICE engine with short runs. .  Nev

• Like 1

Unfortunately, not only was the Edsel a dog appearance-wise, it was a dog for reliability, too. A lot of the Edsels problems were actually assembly faults, but combined with ugly looks, plus a recession at the time it was released, it was bound to be a failure.

Give me a vehicle with practical design, bugger the Italian styling looks. What's the point of driving a stunning looking machine that you struggle to get comfortable in?

A seat that provides superb support plus a big range of adjustment is top of my list. After all, you spend hours and hours sitting in that seat.

My 2013 SR5 Hilux has one of the best seats I've ever sat in, and it's a pleasure to drive it. I've done Perth to Kalgoorlie and back in one long day (1200kms) and I didn't turn into a cripple the next day.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1