Jerry's renovation blog

nomadpete

Devon glorious Devon. I spent a year in Devon at St Giles in the Wood, first time I saw TV. The Queens coronation in the village hall. Those South coast counties vary wildly. I was born in Kent and would consider it not suitable for habitation nowadays, but it improves as you go West, so long as you avoid bath and Bristol.

I don't envy anyone trying yo build or renovate in England. A relative of my wife had a job as a bureaucrat making decisions about building applications, She admitted to me that she didn't really know what she was doing.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

For some reason, I can't get the GoPro to speak to my Windows desktop, so I am trying the arduous way to load up the videos.. and edit them to take out the coughing and spluttering... and then post to YT and link them from here.  Although, I am thinking of creating a DTUBE or Vimeo account and post there instead, as I am planning on using my YT account for other stuff.. flying and Aussie related.

Today, was a lazy day. I have had this cough for about 4 weeks now, and it just doesn't want to go. So,  although I went to bed early yesterday, I didn't get a decent shot at sleep until 5am.. as it was cough, splutter, sniffle. Finally sleep, and then awake to feed the mut, and then do a few chores; do some shopping... Then a decent walk for the mut and I (about 5 miles), but, a replenishing bevvie was not forthcoming as the pub is closed on Mondays.  Which is just as well, as I probably would have fallen asleep after a pint and a chat. 

Back home, and some more chores... Then, the Skyvac came back out and, although I only did a few of the myriad of gutters, the gunk compartment filled up. But, as it felt like a bit of a faff today, I emptied the container and stowed it away. Unfortunately,  I didn't check the weather report - rain for the next few days! Great!

Tomorrow back at work, but thankfully, working from home. So, will move the home office to the main living room and then work on the formal dining room.. Outside of work hours, of course.

Have finally got the vids to the GoPro cloud.. but editing vids is not something I am that experienced with. So, I will hopefully post ove the next couple of days

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it has been soggy here for the last few days and the rain has been between bucketing and pouring down. The roads into the village are flooded, but mainly standing so it is not an issue - though the waterline is higher than I havce seen in the 4 years here. The whole village drains well, so is OK, and we are on top of a hill with only the Church and a neighbouring house which is on land subdivided from the original grounds of the Old Rectory at the same level.

Well, despite clearing the gutters regularly this year, I did not get a chance to do the last clear, as it was throwing it down when I had the time. At this time of year, I am working before sunrise. Today, Sunrise is offically 8:12am and sunset is officially 16:32. As I write (7:46am), it is dawn.. and they are long this time of year. So,  outside weekends, my daytimes are limited.

Well, the gutters on the western flank wall must have overflowed as last night my wife walks into the boy's room and calls me to have a look at this:

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.f5ee5d7b6d742b989a4f18ec7ca370ba.jpg

And that was after I cleaned it! Bloody damp coming through and was already getting mould.

Today is windy but not forecast to be too rainy, but I don't have time to get out there with the kit to suck up the leaves. Tomorrow and Sunday - forecast to the waterfalls from the sky. I'll have to hope I can get most of my work done today in time to get the kit set up and sucking. Tomorrow and Sunday, I'll by dynarodding every drain (they are cast iron!!).

And back to the bloody bitumen paint stripping off those elm floorboards!

• Informative 2

That early end of day really got my wife and I when in England. Walked into ASDA about 3:30 to get something to cook for dinner and after walking around looking at things we found new to us, walked out into the darkness about 4:30. And the late sunrise can stuff up your plans for a day's sight-seeing because you wake up with the Sun and it's almost time for smoko.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Tassie is a bit like that and those short days can be frustrating.

Not as bad as UK (& Europe) as we are only 43 degrees from the equator.

We have more latitude WRT useful daylight, even though we have less latitude than UK.

London 51 deg,.  Shortest day 7hr 54min

Me 43 deg,  Shortest day 9 hrs of daylight

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

The gutters are not depressed 😉

Yes, the UK days are short, but summer days more than make up for it. I remember sitting in Edinburgh and still seeing dawn move to dusk at about 4am.. Wow, they were the days.. young and stamina... and rather liberal expense accounts when travelling with work - and not even in the financial services industry then (yes, they were the nuclear days).

Anyway, I am glad I got the gardener to rake the leaves from the gutters.. Rain forecast all weekend (yes, even in the UK we seem to get rain!) and, well, you will have to read gripes for the rest.

• Informative 2

17 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

Can't think of a parrallel, Nev

Here are seven:

The seven important parallels of latitude are the equator at 0 degrees, Tropic of Capricorn at 23.5 degrees south, Tropic of Cancer at 23.5 degrees north, Antarctic Circle at 66.5 degrees south, Arctic Circle at 66.5 degrees north, the South Pole at 90 degrees south and the North Pole at 90 degrees north.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

Can a point be a parallel.? (or an  axis be one also)  Nev

A "point" cannot be a "parallel" because a point is a thing, while parallel is a state of existence.  It takes two to Tango, so if you have two separate axes, it is possible for them to be in the state of "parallelism". Any number more than one of axes can be parallel. 

2 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Should we give OME a bit if latitude?

Too much latitude leads to lassitude.

Lassitude is not the word to describe why you can't hand in your homework.

Lassie - Wikipedia

• Informative 1

I don't buy that OME.  Points cannot be parallel to anything. Because each point has no length to be parallel to.

And before you run and grab your grammar police hat, I already know that I ended the sentence with a preposition.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Informative 1