Jerry's renovation blog

nomadpete

Got it!!!!

That black arched thing on the left of the bench is a hoop you use to clean croquet balls.

Who invented croquet? We ignore it. We know who imagined the printing press, who discovered steam, and we do not know the inventor of croquet. O ingratitude! Unless, however, that a child of nature and issued entirely from the hand of the Creator, like Eve from Adam's rib, He invented himself all by himself. [Jacques Boucher de Perthes, "Hommes et Choses; Alphabet des Passion et des Sensations," Paris, 1850]

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Unblocked a drain today.. was a crappy job and didn't feel much like writing about it. The concrete pipe has broken so some smarty decided to insert a plastic pipe with a right angle join to the main pipe and it blocks about every 6 months.. need to get it fixed professionally as need to cut up concrete and bitumen to do it

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

My stepdaughter is a plumber by trade, and she and her workmates cheerfully used to call it "paddling in poo juice".

I can remember when I lived in a small country town, the septic system of the local Hotel used to block up regularly and normally a couple of Council workers or a couple of the local labourers would be called in to unblock it, as the town had no resident plumber.

One of the blokes involved (named Ron) related the following story with glee. He was helping another Council worker unblock the septic, and this other bloke was a hard drinker, and "a bit under the weather" after a night of "hitting the piss", the morning they were called upon, to unblock the pub piping.

So they crowbarred up the lid of the septic tank - and as some of you may know, there's a T-piece at the end of the fired clay pipes where it ends, inside the tank. I have no idea why this design was thought up, but I'd guess it was to spread the input into the tank.

So this pair are peering into the T-piece after the lid is removed, and see that it's blocked by various bit of chunky stuff (usually tampons that had been flushed) - so the bloke under the weather decides to go all gung-ho, and ram the crowbar through the (vertical) hole in the T-piece to try and remove some of the obstruction.

As always, the idea worked far better than he'd planned, and the blockage cleared instantly - releasing all the pent-up "poo juice" and other lumpy material - a lot of which jetted upwards, under the back pressure - nearly hitting the overhung one in the face - but more importantly, after the chunky bits cleared, it was followed by a huge blast of absolutely-putrid-smelling sewer gas, which had built up behind the blockage!

The blast of sewer gas to the face was what finished the overhung one off. Ron told me how he staggered off to one side of the septic tank, and "lost his lunch", right there on the spot!

Ron was relating this story with glee, as he thought it was hilarious, because he wasn't a heavy drinker, and he wasn't the one to go all gung-ho on the approach to cleaning out the blockage!

Edited by onetrack
  • Sad 1