The Healey Factory

red750

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

"TIN" Healeys. The 100/six has a truck motor Morris ISIS.  I wouldn't pay what they are fetching. Buy a new Mustang and you've got a better car than any of them and easier to look after.  More fun to drive.  Nev

True, but real style has a cost (and is totally subjective)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Most old cars drive like what they are, a dolled up version of the road models. I've been involved with most of them and I sure wouldn't like to crash in one. Also they aren't fast don't steer and don't stop and have no air cond  or power steering and handle like a bucket of$#**. Sports car crashes were the most frequent of all types and the most deadly on the track..  Nev

• Agree 1

My wife loves Ford Mustangs , a very good friend had a perfect 1968 model, i borrowed the car for a wedding anniversary (35th) and we went to a restaraunt about 25ks away , what a bag of Sxxt to drive no power steering, no aircon, guzzled fuel, heavy car to steer , brakes were minimal, steering wheel was huge ,give me a modern car anytime to drive 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Most old cars drive like what they are, a dolled up version of the road models. I've been involved with most of them and I sure wouldn't like to crash in one. Also they aren't fast don't steer and don't stop and have no air cond  or power steering and handle like a bucket of$#**. Sports car crashes were the most frequent of all types and the most deadly on the track..  Nev

And they look real cool !

• Haha 1

I understand. I recall hearing an Australian saloon car driver getting back into a Ford GTHO (I think), and after racing recent cars couldn' t believe how physically hard it was to drive a Pre 1970 car at speed.

And the so called 'sports car' was mostly suffering poor suspension and lousy brakes.

It would be really risky to drive them at any speed on 'normal' Australian roads. And they would take major work to become competetive.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 1

"Collectable" and Nice to drive are different things often, Lotus have made some good cars but soft tops are weak structurally and pretty dangerous in a prang and it would be difficult for them to meet modern safety standards if not impossible.. IF they don't provide a better driving experience in basic handling and braking  and performance it's wind in your hair and dust off the floor and not much more. . People are likely to scratch them down the sides out of spite too unfortunately. On the road is not a safe place for a rare car., Unfortunately. Nev

41 minutes ago, facthunter said:

On the road is not a safe place for a rare car

They are important as reminders of how far we have come, especially since Ralph Nader in the1960s.

I actually saw a Ford Prefect 100E this morning.

Blueprints > Cars > Ford > Ford Prefect 100E (1953)   26 Ford Anglia 100E (1958) | Ford Anglia 100E (1954-59) Engi… | Flickr

They wouldn't pass the safety standards for a child's pedal car these days.

They were a massive improvement on the previous model Prefect. I think  that one still had the sidevalve engine. The 105E Anglia was the beginning of the "faster" OHV Fords.. The 1500 cc 5 bearing KENT block being the basis of many Cortina'as especially with the Lotus head fitted and later Ford's BDA 2 cam motor. Cosworth got involved back then with head development and gasflow.  Nev

• Informative 1

Somebody gave us a description of English cars above. The first good handling English cars were specs, short of special. Hand built by different individuals and basicly the start of Lotus.

I found it hard to get a good English car until the Morris Minor, Then I discovered the VW and wasn't intereste in Pommy cars, until I bought a second hand Rord GT Cortina, proffessionally lowered and the suspension tweaked for racing, that car out ran the Ford GT, except on long straights and was my best ever point to point car, but not so good at towing a caravan. As a kid I stopped to get a drink at a big shed near Staunes and got a conducted tour of the Lagonda factory. Later our army depot backed on to the Aston martin test track. What lovely sounds, but so expensive.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1