A Serene Agricultural Video

Jerry_Atrick

This video was taken by a young lad that lives in the next village from me. I met him and his family while I was walking my dog in a field of Rapeseed at the back of my place - a really pleasant young fella who is is respectful with the use of his drone. His whole family were absolutely charming, to be honest - world needs more of them and less of the dysfunctional ones.

Anyway, enjoy the harvesting. Note, the solar farm - that is the one I was writing about where the height of the panels above the ground is at least 1m at the shortest, rising to about 1.4m to the highest.

(and please watch the vid on youtoob and if  you like it, click the like button.. he deserves it)

[edit] I have bloody well had to give way or back up to the next cutout to the bloody tractor too many times on our 1.5 car wide country lanes

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 2

A far cry from my days harvesting in England. First a man went round the perimeter of the field with a scythe and somebody collected and tied the grain into sheaves, then the binder came in and was towed round by horses or a tractor. That resulted in many sheaves tied with binder twine which we had to stook, that is stand in groups, two wide by 6 or more long to allow the grain to safely dry before we pitched it onto trailers with a pitch fork, then onto a stack where it would wait till winter and the threshing machine pulled by a steam traction engine would set up and thresh the grain out and also bale the straw with wire. Happy days, but I doubt many would want to do that now.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

12 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

This video was taken by a young lad that lives in the next village from me…

Looks like a wonderful harvest. Australian farmers tell me they cannot approach the yields achieved across northern Europe, because of of their fertile soils and looong summer days.

Last month we spent a couple of days driving across southern England. Beautiful country. Wish our farmers would adopt some of their land management practices. Wildlife corridors and refuges around every paddock, providing windbreaks to reduce wind erosion and evaporation. Too often I’ve heard farmers complain that trees get in the way of their machinery!

That doesn’t seem to have bothered the French. Normandy farmland is similar to England, with small to medium sized paddock all surrounded by trees, yet some of the farm machinery is a big as you’d see in the wide open farmland of Australia.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2022 at 5:01 PM, Yenn said:

A far cry from my days harvesting in England. First a man went round the perimeter of the field with a scythe and somebody collected and tied the grain into sheaves, then the binder came in and was towed round by horses or a tractor. That resulted in many sheaves tied with binder twine which we had to stook, that is stand in groups, two wide by 6 or more long to allow the grain to safely dry before we pitched it onto trailers with a pitch fork, then onto a stack where it would wait till winter and the threshing machine pulled by a steam traction engine would set up and thresh the grain out and also bale the straw with wire. Happy days, but I doubt many would want to do that now.

Yenn you are part of a breed we are rapidly losing: a generation that started with horses and ended up with robots!

I hope you’ve had plenty of opportunities to tell your stories to young’uns. Have you recorded your memories for posterity?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Here ya go, this even beats Yenns good farming memories. The Qld Govt commissioned moving film of farming activities in Oct 1898, utilising a static Lumiere Cinematographe (and I never even knew there was movie film, prior to WW1).

This short clip from 1899 shows a wheat harvesting operation in Qld, utilising a horse drawn Buckeye brand reaper and binder that is harvesting the wheat crop, while labourers stack the wheat sheaves. 

https://aso.gov.au/titles/historical/wheat-harvesting/clip1/

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

47 minutes ago, willedoo said:

When they were building one of the silos, I got a job with the  building contractors. It was good money for a sixteen year old. The silo was a group of four built together as one…

So Willie, I can blame you for building all those death traps! Like you describe, our local silo is four in a bundle, with a one-man, handcranked elevator installed in the centre. I suspect it’s the only way to get to the top and our VRA has used it for rescue exercises. My claustrophobia kicked in big time and I have no idea how we’d get to anyone trapped part-way up. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1