I'm asking your permission.

old man emu

As you might know, I'm involved in a newly form society which wants to preserve the history of Arthur Butler and his place in Australian commercial aviation. One of the things we want to do is promote the greater use of Tooraweenah Aerodrome  as a destination or stop-over point on longer journeys. We are trying to do all we can to maintain and, more so, improve the movement area. We want to have a Bellman hangar returned to provide hangarage for travellers who want to stay a night or two. We are even trying to re-establish a service station in town to be a source of Mogas for those who want it.

These are goals will take a while to score, but we need to keep our activities and progress in the minds of aerial travellers. To that end, I want to send out information in various forms to aero clubs, flying schools and any other gathering of pilots. Those of you who use this forum are a prime source of messengers for me. 

A a Moderator, I can access your details and get your email address. I adhere to the privacy rules, so I am asking each of you if you would give me permission to access your records to get your email address. 

If you are OK with that, you can simply reply in this thread  with something like "I'm in"

Thanks, and hope to see as many of you as possible over the weekend of 12/13th November this year.

Old Man Emu

• Like 2

Hang on, I haven't read the fine print yet! How much is this going to cost me? - and over what period of time? Is there a set of steak knives in the deal??

Yeah, O.K., I'm in, you've already got my email already anyway - and I'm sure Google and a heap of other internet sites will provide you with my full profile and a photo! :cheezy grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Look out! I'm back home from Sydney for a couple of days and will be launching my propaganda campaign for the Museum.

I spoke to a few flying schools in Sydney while I was there, and some of their CPL students are testing Tooraweenah. If we get many more, we might have to invite AirServices to provide traffic control. But that would be counter to our idea of having the aerodrome a fee-less refuge. Although we might put out an Honesty Box to maintain ancillary services.

You have your choice of 5000 feet on which to locate your controlled collision. That's 04/22. If lots of people begin to use Tooraweenah, we'll work hard to get  01/19 and 14/32 operational in case you like to land Chinese style - Wun Wing Lo.

The runway was used by de Haviland Herons, landing distance from 50 ft: 2,065 ft and DC-3s  2100 ft. de Haviland Dragon Rapide: 510 ground run on landing.

• Informative 1

On 22/7/2022 at 1:49 PM, old man emu said:

You have your choice of 5000 feet on which to locate your controlled collision. That's 04/22. If lots of people begin to use Tooraweenah, we'll work hard to get  01/19 and 14/32 operational…

Crickey OME, why don’t you go the whole hog and create a round field?
Google Earth shows a nascient gully to the NW of your strip. That might make it hard work to build a cross strip. 

• Like 1

Do you mean an  all over field?  When I first flew into Bankstown it had one strip and the rest was all over. I recall one day I was south of Hoxton park and a southerly buster came through so I headed back to Bankstown where all the planes had been put in  and the Hangars and doors locked.  The tower said I could land in any direction that suited me. That eliminated the X wind problem but it was still a $#1tty day that wasn't forecast. All over fields were the norm in the early days of aviation and many aircraft couldn't easily handle any real   X wind. . Nev

• Like 1