WTF

willedoo

Is there new software or something. Logged on this morning and found the site completely changed and totally user unfriendly. A cumbersome mess I'd describe it as. Is anyone else having the same problem? It used to always open on the page listing the forums, which I found an easy way to navigate. Now that page is gone. Clicking on the forums link just opens a topics page with a listing of topics from the various forums. I find it's changed from an easy to navigate site to what is now a not so pleasant experience.

Edited by willedoo

Edit: figured it out. For some reason the view options had reset themselves. Set it to table view and it's back to what I know. I don't know why it had reset to the fluid view; I didn't change it myself. I blame Gremlins.

• Haha 1

There ought to be a law that upgrades only involve fixing bugs. If Apple or Google want to provide added features, then the consumer should simply go the the app store and download what is wanted. The rest of us who have finally come to grips with these products probably don't need all that is available. Most of the changes are often ego-trips for the developers.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

I use Firefox as the main browser. They used to have updates every week or two, but lately have been having small daily updates. It makes you wonder what it is about a browser that needs that level of updating. I've double checked and all the updates are downloading and installing ok. Why so many, and why now I don't know. It might be due to a newish feature to block malicious sites and popups. The updates might be new sites added, similar to virus definitions in anti-virus software.

• Informative 1

10 hours ago, spacesailor said:

My PC is asking to update before it switches off.

That is one time that you can accept that request since it does come from Microsoft. I think that from the release of Windows 10, Microsoft did the updating for you.

(With the backing of the CIA, ASIO, KGB, MSS, Taliban, Al Quada, MOSSAT)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

BUT

BUT

BUT !,

It,s running fine,  why stuff it up with something I don,t need or want.

spacesailor

Why service your car when it seems to be running fine?  You could just wait until it breaks down.

My wife worked in a small engineering company for may years.  The owner, although a brilliant engineer couldn't be bothered keeping the  company computer network up to date.  One day when they tried to open their computer network they found it had been locked by ransomware.  The remedy  cost may thousands of dollars. The vulnerability was one for which a patch had been available for some time.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

Yes

I lost a PC to ransomware, l know the problem .

But

The upgraded programing is past my feeble knowledge.

Now that same programing is called " coding " .

Basic information at the core of Windows has been changed from "  C "  to " z " so that windows can,t find the primary partition. 

spacesailor

My biggest beef with Microsoft updates is that they take something that works fine and change it to something altogether different.

Take MS Paint for example. Worked fine for everything I wanted. They replaced it with Paint 3D which is a real pain. However, I found that if you click on the Windows button, first in the task bar, and type P, it offers you the original paint app. Snipping Tool not so good. You have to select Snipping Tool app, then Snip and Sketch.

Microsoft do some dumb things. Windows 10 uses a default photo viewer; I can't remember which one it is, maybe just called 'photos'. The old Windows Photo Viewer is still on the system, but they hide it from you so you can't find it to use. It's a registry hack to get it back visible and able to be used. There's websites where you can copy and paste the code needed. I can never figure MS out. Why not just leave it there for all to use. Why change the code to hide it. Maybe they're just a bunch of bored wizz kids.

Edited by willedoo

You could try pausing them for a period of time and see how it goes.

Rather than me telling you, you could type "how to disable windows 10  updates" into a search engine and follow the instructions.  I don't want to give advice incase it goes wrong.😕