4K Video from Mars

red750

What a depressing barren wasteland! You'd have to be nuts to even consider wanting to live there for any length of time. Depression would set in after a couple of months. No blue sky, no clouds, no greenery, not a skerrick of life in any form.

I'll wager even the colour of the Martian light has been modified, so it has become more acceptable to our eyes. I'll wager the true lighting conditions are just weird.

Just send up autonomous mining machines, and extract the rare elements we need, and shoot them back to Earth, there's little hope any form of sustainable life could last on Mars for an extended period.

I would think that people will not live permanently on Mars in the foreseeable future but will stay for a number of months.   This is similar to Antarctic  research stations or ISS except with bigger challenges. 

Edited by octave
  • Informative 1

19 minutes ago, onetrack said:

I'll wager even the colour of the Martian light has been modified, so it has become more acceptable to our eyes.

The narrator mentions that. The overall image is enhanced to make the terrain and rocks stand out, with the result of changing the sky colour. He said the sky is actually reddish.

• Informative 1

I'm looking at those massive craters - and thinking - "I wonder how often a meteor hits the surface there, seeing as there's virtually no atmosphere like Earth has, to burn them up, before they hit the ground?"

A house-sized meteorite crashing through the thin Martian atmosphere every few weeks, could really put a dent in your Mars lifestyle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think a lot of the fascination with Mars is due to it's similarity to Earth, both being rocky planets and sharing a few qualities. Mars is like the house build to lock up stage; Earth has had the final coat of paint and landscaping, ready to move in.

My guess is that Mars would be loaded with all the minerals and gems we mine and value. Not much profit margin bringing it back from there, so it's probably worthless in the scheme of things.

• Like 1

The video suggests that a big motivation for colonizing Mars is to escape climate change.    That is a ridiculous notion because if we create the technology to survive on the inhospitable Mars we certainly can use that technology to survive on Earth.   As far as I am aware Musk's motivation for a planet B is about the inevitability of the Earth eventually being hit by an asteroid.     

I am hoping that my lifetime will be bracketed by the first Moon landing and before I drop of the twig, a human landing on Mars.    If you follow this kind of thing you will know that planning at NASA is ongoing.  I think the idea of a self sustaining colony on Mars is something for next century however a visit will be much sooner. NASAs planning is for a 30  day visit.  Of course there are many problems to be solved before a visit is possible.   

I would argue that landing on the Moon with Apollo was well worth it.   Soon Artemis will be going back.  Humans could have explored the Moon to a degree with probes but I do think there is nothing like an actual human being there.   We could close down all of the Antarctic stations and replace them with remote sensors however in my opinion at least there is value in a human presence.

It could be argued that it is too costly and we could use the money  to better life on Earth.    Space research may seem costly in absolute dollar terms but comparatively it is not outrageous.   NASAs 2020 budget was 0.48% of government spending.   I would guess I spend a bigger percentage of my budget on Netflix.       The unintended benefits of the Apollo program are too numerous to list here.    

In my youth I was obsessed with astronomy.   I recall having a rather thick book about the Moon.  The author suggested that humans would never land on the Moon.  The Neil Armstrong quote on all of my posts seems  relevant.

" We predict too much for the next year and yet far too little for the next 10."

• Like 2
  • Informative 1