Police

Yenn

We have seen a lot about police brutality in the USA. An Australian woman was murdered by police, who appeared to be afraid of her. Black people are regularly killed there.

Now we have the police waiting around, while a gunman murders children in school.

The US ex president is quoted as saying that to prevent school shootings, teachers should be armed. The rifle association wants us all to believe that guns are good and it is the people who own them who are bad and the answer to the massacre problem is for trained response teams to fix the problem. I thought the people to fix the problem were the police. We are always told not to take the law into our own hands, but to wait for police.

At the latest shooting the police were there for an hour. what was the good of waiting.

The US president wrings his hands and does nothing. Would Trump have done nothing if he was of the belief that killing was bad? No he would have signed a Presidential decree to fix the problem.

Are our police to follow the lead of USA as everyone else seems to do?

The people needed to fix Americas firearm obsessiveness and idiotic Constitutional Amendment worship don't exist. They're called Statesmen and Stateswomen, and they take the needed powerful steps to address any pressing national problems, and they set the country onto the path of a safer and more civil society - by moving to address the massive proliferation of high-powered firearms, body armour, and military-style-and-grade equipment that's in the hands of civilians, by carrying out major law and constitutional reform - and by removing that proliferation of firearms from the nation, via destruction of those totally unnecessary weapons in a civil, safe society.

But the Americans worship the Gun God, Moloch, and they worship an ancient Constitutional Amendment that they claim can never be amended, to bring it into line with the 21st Century and modern firearms development. 

They are nearly all either putty in the hands of the firearms manufacturers, or in their pay. They are willing to continually sacrifice thousands of their children over the next couple of decades, so they can continue to worship guns, and take no action to make their nation safer. They deserve the misery they get from the regular massacres, because they're too stupid to address the basic problem, and take the necessary steps to fix it.

As to the idiotic suggestion by the idiotic former President - didn't anyone remind him that an ex-police officer, armed guard was on duty at the previous massacre at the shopping centre, and he utterly failed to prevent the shopping centre massacre, and was actually killed by the shooter?? That former U.S. President is a moron of the highest order, and fully representative of the moronic outlook of Americans as regards firearm worship.

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2012/12/15/our-moloch/

• Winner 1

6 hours ago, Yenn said:

The US president wrings his hands and does nothing. Would Trump have done nothing if he was of the belief that killing was bad? No he would have signed a Presidential decree to fix the problem.

Trump is a useless bag of dogshit who couldn't fix anything.  You're talking about the man who thru his pathetic response to the pandemic directly contributed to the US having a million deaths.

I THINK you're being ironic, at least I hope you are. 

• Agree 1

Trump knows exactly who to suck up to, to get re-elected in 2024. Anyone who can stop them "commy liberals" from "taking away all their guns", is on a winner in the U.S.

I've even had one idiot U.S. gun-fondler on a forum ask me how it felt to be so helpless, after "John Howard took away all our guns". What a bunch of bloody morons they are, they question nothing the NRA tells them.

• Like 2

No, Trump said you gotta rake the forests, that's the way you control those California wildfires! Those Californians is just lazy, like poor people, they haven't been raking those forests like they should've!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2018/11/18/trump-suggests-californians-can-rake-their-forests-prevent-wildfires-he-is-wrong/

(And if you want to see more complete American idiocy, watch the video following the Trump video, where the American gun-fondlers discuss the solutions to the gun massacre problem.

It's just that those gun massacre instituters are plain evil! - and making them into God-fearing good people, is the only way to address this problem!! I guess they mean good, gun-fondling people!)  :doh:

I still reckon Biden has done nothing about the problem. Several previous presidents have spoken out in just the same way and done nothing. I will agree that Biden does something when something positive happens. Just wringing your hands and saying it should not happen is as much use as pissing against a tornado.

My understanding is that the presidents powers are limited and the biggest sticking point is the congress.     Can President Biden use executive powers for gun control?

"Congress has the power to overturn an executive order by passing legislation that invalidates it, and can also refuse to provide funding necessary to carry out certain policy measures contained with the order or legitimize policy mechanisms."  Executive order

Edited by octave

13 minutes ago, octave said:

My understanding is that the presidents powers are limited and the biggest sticking point is the congress.     Can President Biden use executive powers for gun control?

"Congress has the power to overturn an executive order by passing legislation that invalidates it, and can also refuse to provide funding necessary to carry out certain policy measures contained with the order or legitimize policy mechanisms."  Executive order

Maybe that depends on how he sells it.

"The people who lost their children to gun violence," he thunders "have asked me, your President, to do something about it.

Too long have we allowed angry people, with murder in their heart, to buy assault weapons that are not designed to hunt, or shoot targets, but only to kill other humans.

Too long have we blindly quoted the Second Amendment, a document written 231 years ago, when the fastest gun shot 4 rounds a minute.

Too long have we ignored the examples of other countries, who no longer have mass shootings, by controlling the spread of semi-automatic weapons.

Too long have your elected representatives, mainly Republican, taken money from gun manufacturers and been held in the thrall of the NRA.

Do you need an assault rifle to hunt a deer?

Do you need a pistol to walk in peace around our streets?

To you, I say, this scourge of mass shootings and the death of innocents has put blood on all of our hands.

As President, right now, I answer the call of those grieving parents, and all the parents who will grieve after mass shootings to come.

As President, I use my powers to create an executive order banning the sale of all semi-automatic weapons to civilians.

Those who value your life less than their own selfish desires will protest this action.

Those in Congress who are in the pay of the big arms companies may even overturn this action.

I tell you now.  Watch carefully and see which legislators speak out against saving lives.  Watch those who try, in the name of freedom, to overturn this action.

Watch them, and always remember that they stood on the wrong side of history, and they value your lives less than their pockets.

To those who call freedom, I say this.  What is the greater freedom - the ability to fire 600 rounds a minute instead of 10, or the freedom to go to school and return home alive?"

How about something like that?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

It's a pretty SAD mindset that follows the Gun Lobby line. Trump is  a manipulating creep who has destroyed the Republican  Party for which he cares not one Jot.  Like everything and every person (like Mike Pence) once he's used it, he doesn't care what happens. He leaves a trail of wreckage  and destruction, behind him.  HE trashes America's standing in the World.. Bullies when he can, which would be always if he could manage it.   Nev

• Agree 2

Trump is an outlier in terms of what the US is willing to elect as their president. However, he is not an outlier in US society, but a public representation of the toxicity of it. Gun onerhip is normalised, violence is somewhat normalised and celebrated. Isolation is a way of life - ask how many Californians even know the time zones on the east coast, let alone the rest of the world, and you will get it. Exploitaiton of the weak and the poor is rife.

I lived and worked in the US for a long time, and they do have a lot right, but they also have a lot wrong and the above is most of it.

The will have a rationalising (not necessarily rational) answer for all that Marty wrote.. and they wil believe it, too!

• Like 1

The American public could probably supply the Ukrainians with more small arms and ammunition than their government could. I believe the population has acquired something like 100 million more guns since Sandy Hook ten years ago. 

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1
  • Sad 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

"Several officers additionally equipped themselves with AR-15s and other semi-automatic rifles from a nearby firearms dealer. The incident sparked debate on the need for patrol officers to upgrade their firepower in preparation for similar situations in the future.[1]"

The go to for the US in these situations is to effectively escalate an arms race.. It is the go to of Trump - to arm the teachers.. The go to when 9/11 happened was to arm pilots (instead they settled for air marshalls)..

• Sad 1