Aliens are here

Dax

The subject of UFO's/aliens fascinates me, but not to the point where I'm totally convinced. Have seen some really weird sights in the sky at night where I live, some explainable some completely unexplainable and see one regularly what defies description. What got me really interested was one night whilst watching the southern lights, noticed a big light sitting in the sky SW of us  (have a fully glassed in room that runs the length of the house looking SSW and have a small telescope and powerful binoculars. 

At first assumed it to be a star, one of the planets, or a satellite. Then it began to move towards where I was, passing over me not that far away and what made really wonder was it produced no sound whatsoever and continued past me and disappeared near where we regularly see a bright light doing really funny things to the NE of us  and complete silence as it was a calm night.

We live well below any flight paths, the nearest airport Hobart is to the NW of us and we do see plane lights coming in to land there some times. but they circle well north of us and the only planes we see is the occasional light aircraft, or emergency/police, private (Dick Smith) choppers.

Today this appeared in the news, so did a quick search and found some really interesting supposed UFO videos. Of course there were many that were clearly fake and you'd have to be as bl ind as a bat to not see them as fake, but some, especially those involving military and commercial aircraft were extremely hard to debunk and I couldn't even after checking out the claims of those fervently denouncing them as fake. So after looking at this video, how do others see the UFO phenomenon.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10132309/UFO-video-shows-pulsating-orb-drop-sky-cruise-alongside-two-FedEx-pilots.html

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dax said:

Have seen some really weird sights in the sky at night where I live, some explainable some completely unexplainable and see one regularly what defies description.

Don't trust the scientists to give you a proper explanation. Doing so is not in their ideologies.

• Agree 1

Occam's razor is your friend.

Scenario 1:  Inhabitants of the nearest Goldilocks planetary system have conquered FTL travel and use that awesome power to go hang around the primitive third rock in the Sol system, occasionally letting the walking apes get a glimpse of the lights of their very small craft just to mess with their heads.

Scenario 2:  There are numerous ways that natural elements of dust, water, ice, sunlight and the Earth's magnetic field can interact to cause interesting light effects.  Add to this the advent of Photoshop and a wish to prank the internet.

I know which one I think's more likely.

Not saying there are no alien life forms, I would think that it would be highly likely there are millions of planets capable of supporting life in this universe.  However intelligent life capable of getting to interstellar space travel without destroying themselves or their planet, and by chance arriving at our planet at exactly the same time as humanity stopped bashing woolly mammoths and started playing with moving pictures (not even a blink in geological time) I think is extremely unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Scenario 1:  Inhabitants of the nearest Goldilocks planetary system have conquered FTL travel and use that awesome power to go hang around the primitive third rock in the Sol system, occasionally letting the walking apes get a glimpse of the lights of their very small craft just to mess with their heads.

I see no reason why advanced civilisations that may have been around millions of years longer than us wouldn't have access to FTL transport. We think light is the fastest thing in the universe, but we already know of faster things and maybe light is the slowest energy in the universe.

As for their small craft, humans send small craft to other planets and solar objects to observe. No reason why aliens don.t have  huge ship sitting outside our our viewing range and sending drones to check the place out. Any really advance life form would have tehcnology light years ahead of us and sending a craft manned pr otherwise from the Centauri group to have a look at the mess, they probably have been watching from afar, would make for interesting viewing. They may have reality TV shows that directly broadcast the happenings on a bizarre little planet where the technological inhabitants are wiping everything out, including themselves. That would be interesting for them and no different to us sending probes and now drones to other places.

The universe is a big place, so there is likely to be many advanced being capable of transiting the universe in real time easily.

Of course they wouldn't want to get involved with such warmongering superstition ridden life forms, always at each other throats as to who has the best violent mythology and it would make for excellent viewing for bored audiences. Naturally they would spend more time round military objects and places, as that's where the action is and our planes may be a weird novelty for them, compared to their forms of transport.

• Like 1

The possible range of temperatures and conditions across the universe would exclude life as we know it from the majority of places. This little blue planet is a rare goldilocks place that WE have developed and evolved on over an incredibly long time and are probably unique in the form we are in.  IF the show was rolled out again we would probably be unrecognisable to what we are now.. There's nothing regulated that made us what we are except survival to procreate. Every one of us  here now goes back a long way. One failure in the chain and you don't make it to pass on your genes.  Nev

The aliens might be here, but more likely unmanned (or more correctly unaliened) craft.

A lot of people use logic to deny the existence of alien craft. Human logic, that is. And more specifically their own particular human logic. Some others rely less on logic and more on the arrogant assumption of 'I haven't seen one therefore they couldn't possibly exist'. People that have seen them don't deny their existence; most people that haven't seen them deny the existence. Then there's people who haven't experienced them but are open minded and curious about the subject.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Dax said:

…they probably have been watching from afar, would make for interesting viewing. They may have reality TV shows that directly broadcast the happenings on a bizarre little planet where the technological inhabitants are wiping everything out, including themselves. 

We humans have made a few waves in our small corner of the Cosmos, but it’s quite likely the neighbours haven’t yet heard of us.
https://www.sciencealert.com/humanity-hasn-t-reached-as-far-into-space-as-you-think

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willedoo said:

The aliens might be here, but more likely unmanned (or more correctly unaliened) craft.

A lot of people use logic to deny the existence of alien craft. Human logic, that is. And more specifically their own particular human logic. Some others rely less on logic and more on the arrogant assumption of 'I haven't seen one therefore they couldn't possibly exist'. People that have seen them don't deny their existence; most people that haven't seen them deny the existence. Then there's people who haven't experienced them but are open minded and curious about the subject.

You could say the same thing about religion. 

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.  I'm not denying that people see something - but unless someone produces a tiny fraction of alien DNA, a manufactured part made of an alloy unseen on Earth, or some other kind of hard evidence, it's just faith wearing another hat.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

UFO's definitely exist. The only question is whether they are natural phenomena, man made as in some secret squirrel project, or alien. Option 2 doesn't make sense. Why would the government have some top secret programme and then fly them around in public where citizens can plainly see them.

If I saw one with portholes and aliens peering out of them, I'd be convinced on the alien option. When they are off in the distance and only appear as a light, it's really hard to draw any conclusion.

Edited by willedoo
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.  I'm not denying that people see something - but unless someone produces a tiny fraction of alien DNA, a manufactured part made of an alloy unseen on Earth, or some other kind of hard evidence, it's just faith wearing another hat.

Like the Yowie. So many sightings over the years and nobody has ever found a Yowie turd.

• Haha 2

Decades ago a brother working in the bush came across a hermit who described an encounter with a stout, hairy creature.

It had been trying to steal some of his food and he wrestled with it.  He described the skin as being loose with a foul smell.

In the 70s an old Bandjalung song-man told me stories about wild, mischeivous little people who often stole from his people. They were called Nyimbin.

All over the world there are traditional stories like this, but I fear they may now be extinct.

• Informative 1

5 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

an old Bandjalung song-man told me stories about wild, mischievous little people who often stole from his people. They were called Nyimbin. All over the world there are traditional stories like this, but I fear they may now be extinct.

Definitely not extinct. The have taken up residence in workshops and garages where the sneak around behind you and pinch what you have just put down before you turn away back to the job.

The word for “little man who dwells in mountains or rocks” is /ɲimbuɲ/~/ɲi:mbuɲ/ (Sharpe 1995: 81; 2002: 58), which would be spelt as nyimbuyn or nyiimbuyn. Here's a good article on the name

https://www.anps.org.au/upload/June_2007.pdf. It seems that the Bandjalung man was diverting Old Koreelah from the truth with his description of them.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

Definitely not extinct. The have taken up residence in workshops and garages where the sneak around behind you and pinch what you have just put down before you turn away back to the job.

I fear you may be right about this.

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

https://www.anps.org.au/upload/June_2007.pdf. It seems that the Bandjalung man was diverting Old Koreelah from the truth with his description of them.

I doubt the old man (whose name I will not use) was doing that; he was an elder revered throughout the region and had regularly been invited to speak at universities across eastern Australia.

• Informative 1

I was a tertiary student doing a special study on our local indigenous history. When I would visit the old man, he’d tell me the stories and sing the songs. Little kids would sit and listen as well, but the adolescents had no interest, preferring to see resentful black Americans as role models. I recorded some, but the cassette is now barely audible.

I guess lots of Uni students also heard his stories, and I hope some decent recordings still exist.

About the time I was visiting him most of the surviving speakers of Bandjalung were killed in a single level crossing accident.