Bread and beer

old man emu

In a way I can understand why beer in the U.K. is not ice cold like ours. Different beers suit being chilled and others are better at a higher temperature. I think the darker beers are better if not too cold. I don't drink these days due to a health issue, but I remember when I was home brewing into kegs I experienced the above. I used to make up a double brew by mixing one can of Coopers Dark ale with one of Coopers Real Ale. Reason was, pure dark ale was to stouty in my opinion as I don't like stout. And the dark ale/real ale mix had more body and flavour than straight real ale.

The secret to it was using a majority malt/minority sugar fermenter instead of straight sugar. The use of the malt produced a nice creamy head and left rings down the glass as you drunk it, even if you used the same old glass all night. The beer went into 50 litre kegs. I experienced different beer temperatures over a long period of time, and for that type of beer (darker beer) the flavour and taste definitely went down if the beer was chilled cold. I'm not saying it was good warm, just that when ice cold it didn't taste anywhere as nice as when medium cold. On the other hand, I think the lighter, bubblier beers like our Australian beers are definitely better with a higher degree of chill.

So I can see where the Poms are coming from with the way they do their beer. One thing I noticed when I was younger and visiting the U.K. was that Kiwis really liked English beer and the Australians thought it was warm shite. From a visit to NZ years ago, I could see similarity between some NZ beers and English beer which would explain why they take to the English stuff better than we do. I remember the beer in NZ being served a lot warmer than our beer here.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

You GET the taste of beer stronger when it's not real cold. Australia is by and Large a HOT and dusty country and a BIG COLD beer sounds better than a warm flat one. I'm NOT a great beer drinker, although it's almost Compulsory here if you  want to avoid being accused of being  a Homer  sexual.. I drank wine before it became fashionable. Takes real guts to do that back then. Today we've improved a little bit.. Have any of you been to the Daly Waters Pub?   Nev

• Like 1

Beers are like wines. They make for interesting comparison based on where they were brewed and how they were brewed. It's beer snobbery, akin to wine snobbery, to speak disparagingly about styles of beers and individual brewery's products. I enjoyed sampling various local beers during a tour of England and Scotland. But when I got back home, I went back to the beer that I had been weaned onto. 

• Like 1

Have always liked black beer and there are some really excellent black craft beers around this country. I rarely drink grog haven't had any for years, but like to try new beers I come across. Had one of the best black beers ever tasted at the Wangaratta jazz and blues festival a few years back, it was a low alcohol beer below 1% and it was lovely, can't wait until the next festival to try it again.

• Like 1

Two bottles of Scotch could be lethal to a normal person.  You'd probably be better off without it. Less of better is my solution.

Life is too short to.

Drink cheap wine.

Drive Land Rovers

Eat British food..

An old one I do remember. . Nev

• Like 1