Historic turnaround in Qld

Methusala

QLD population is 4.7m so state debt is around $18,000 per person or $72,000 per family of four.

Federal government (ALP) debt is an additional debt of approaching $28,000 per person or $112,000 per family of four.

So nett government debt for each Queenslander is in the order of $46,000. Much higher again if you look at it per taxpayer. But note also I haven't included local government debt in this figure.... anyways, as long as you feel you got good value for all this debt it's sweet. You do have a bunch of shiny new assets to show for it right?

Hi GG

What is frightening if the debt goes up, there will not be enough revenue from the taxes/excises etc.etc. to pay the interest bill.

How do you fix that F_T?

That looks like the case in Greece and Spain--- look at all the moaning from over there.

I do not want that in Australia.

Regards

KP.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is we haave two groups in this country. Those work to earn a living, and those who vote to earn a living. While the second group outnumber the first group debt can only go up.

Hi Geoff

That is a brilliant statement and there is the answer, thank you Geoff..

Regards

KP.

I agree most of the young libs I come in contact with on social media see the party as nothing more than a fast track to money and position. Look at Wyatt Roy, 23 years old with no life experience, never worked a day in his life, telling pensioners they don't deserve a pension and the country can't afford basic healthcare.

How can it be agood time to go into debt. You always have to pay the interest and while it is low now htere is no guarantee it will always be so. How I would like the good old days to come back, when i battled to pay a mortgage which went up to above 10%. Now I have saved some money, the return on it is abyssmal.

LNP were going to lease the assets for 99 years, and invest in infrastructure with the proceeds. most probably railways to enable the miners to dig bigger holes in Qld. I suppose they would then lease out the railways.

Yenn do you understand how debt markets work? Basically, large amounts of gov debt is good because it means investors have safe havens for their money, the private sector is investing in the economy via the gov which stimulates the economy. It also allows the private sector to price risk as gov debt is seen as being very secure, this flows throw to the economy. Not good for small business though as they are seen as high risk.

The problem is we haave two groups in this country. Those work to earn a living, and those who vote to earn a living. While the second group outnumber the first group debt can only go up.

Broadly true, Geoff.

Many of those dependant on welfare will never be part of "the system" until they have a stake in it. (The key to our past economic success was not just enterprise capitalism, but giving the poor a chance to own something). So many people have been marginalised by rapid economic change. Everyone should be kept busy with meaningful work. It only takes a few months on benefits to turn a worker into a dole bludger.

While ever Australia's expanding landless class is shut out of our real estate market by negative gearing and all the other distortions, they won't make a full contribution to our country, and making education and training for their kids unaffordable is extreme folly.

The people who buy the leases have to make money from them. That means you sell them too cheap or customers pay more for the product than you would have originally. With the large number of electric suppliers who add on an amount equal to the electricity generators price onto your bill just for sending it to you. (as an example)

Supply electricity costs Approx to grid. 18%

Poles and wires and meters etc Some % is paid to state government 55%

Balance to the mob who send the bill and advertise/ WAY above the COST of the electricity . Why is this a good idea? Nev

' I have always like Pauline, like her or hate her, she always tells it as she sees it. That is a honest trait. We need more people who call a spade a spade.'

You could say the same about Jackie Lambie's efforts on Q & A last night . Whilst I don't entirely agree with what she stands for , she was absolutely calling a spade a spade.

cheers

JimG

No one waits till they have the cash to buy a house, or invest in a business venture of their own. You always get extra capital. Same goes for roads and infrastructure. Hockeys rhetoric on this is misleading . Anyhow He has done his best to make it look as bad as possible. As an example 8 Bn to the reserve bank they didn't request and using projections as if they are already happening. Lower income groups are the target and source of the revenue for the recovery. Just get the high flyers and foreign companies to pay their fair share would be a good start. Since a large amount of LNP funding comes from there it won't happen under Hockey. Nev

' I have always like Pauline, like her or hate her, she always tells it as she sees it. That is a honest trait. We need more people who call a spade a spade.'

You could say the same about Jackie Lambie's efforts on Q & A last night . Whilst I don't entirely agree with what she stands for , she was absolutely calling a spade a spade.

cheers

JimG

I just watched Q and A on the net. Barnaby for PM.

Welfare is a right in this country, its what our ancestors fought and died on foreign soils for. Corporate welfare is what's killing Australia

No it is not a right and it is not why our ancestors fought and died. In fact even though I do not profess to know the minds of our ancestors, I do believe I understand the mentality of several generations of ex servicemen through my interest in them. I believe most of our ancestors fought and died on foreign soils so that we would have the right to chose. But this is possibly a conversation for another thread among people willing to discuss rather than state BS to make a point.

Looks like Hanson won't make it.

Debt is OK if the money is doing work and producing things.

. If it's paying for stuff that loses most of it's value in 4 years you might as well throw the money away (or consider you have to be realistic).

Inflation when it is around makes paying it off easier.

Inflation makes your savings worthless eventually. If you pay tax on the capital gain and it is nearly the same as the inflation rate it's a double whammy. If the tax system was fair dinkum you would deduct the inflation rate from the capital gains and pay on the rest.

WHEN I AM da KING....... Nev

Guest Howard Hughes
Welfare is a right in this country, its what our ancestors fought and died on foreign soils for. Corporate welfare is what's killing Australia

Welfare is not 'a right', not even having a roof over your head is 'a right'. Welfare is a privilege of a wealthy, mature and prosperous society! And please our ancestors did not fight for welfare, a fair go yes!

The thing I can't understand is selling a Government asset that brings in $900 million per year for a paltry $5.5 billion! Then using that money to pay down debt and having $900 million less income in the future.

PS: It matters not what you call a shovel if you are an idiot!

Didn't take Lambie long to ditch Clive. She gets a LOT of facts confused but means well. Doesn't like the Abott Few women do apparently.

Howard . Doesn't add up because it is BS. Costello does the audit and works for the companies that buy(or lease) the assets Not a bad plan IF you get away with it. Nev