Historic turnaround in Qld

Methusala

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.launc.tased.edu.au/online/sciences/agsci/alkalo/popindus.htm

Tasmania is the world's largest producer of opium alkaloids for the pharmaceutical market.

The industry is highly efficient. It produces about 50% of the world's concentrated poppy straw (CPS) for morphine and related opiates from merely 10.7% of the production area. (Concentrated Poppy Straw is actually the extracted opiates crystallized out of solution,

Once we sell off our last asset, there'll be no further need for all those administrators in ACT.Then we can sack a whole lotta shiny ar5ed pollys and public servants, and reabsorb the ACT into NSW.

That should fix our economy? And reduce the hot air.

They are not that smart to understand when all the assets are gone there will be no work for them.

I have seen in a work place, fellows would not do "x" task then the company payed some fellows out and put the work over to contractors. Should have heard the noise went to the industrial court and the company won hands down. It is a perfectly safe reasonable task and you fellows would not do it, not one contractor was hurt. End of story you lost members, looks like the same again, different field.

Regards

KP.

My wife (who's a pharmacist) says that due to Tassie's restrictions on importation of organic matter, we can't import CPS from other sources into the state, so we grow it here and export it to a processing centre in Victoria. Apparently some also gets grown in Vic and NT (seems strange to both her and me that poppies would grow in climates as diverse as Tas and NT, but there you are!)

(seems strange to both her and me that poppies would grow in climates as diverse as Tas and NT, but there you are!)

It is perfectly logical... poppies and hemp are as old as humanity. Our ancestors carried it to just about every continent and climate on earth (particularly hemp).

It is perfectly logical... poppies and hemp are as old as humanity. Our ancestors carried it to just about every continent and climate on earth (particularly hemp).

I guess. Don't know much about gardening, but guessing mangoes & coconuts probably don't do well down here, and raspberries & cherries not so well up there?

http://www.launc.tased.edu.au/online/sciences/agsci/alkalo/popindus.htm

Tasmania is the world's largest producer of opium alkaloids for the pharmaceutical market.

The industry is highly efficient. It produces about 50% of the world's concentrated poppy straw (CPS) for morphine and related opiates from merely 10.7% of the production area. (Concentrated Poppy Straw is actually the extracted opiates crystallized out of solution,

Codeine is 3-methylmorphine. It is generally precipitated as the phosphate and its major use is as an oral analgesic. The alkaloid from the poppy straw is generally extracted in solvents such as ether and converted directly to crude morphine. Opium extraction isn't part of the process.

Pholcodine is morpholinethylmorphine which is an antitussive used in cough linctuses such as Benadryl and is reasonably stable in solution. It tends to anaesthetise the throat and vocal chords to suppress the cough reflex.

Opium used to be imported legally back in the 1960's as Concentrated Soft Extract of Tincture of Opium. It came in sealed tins of one kilo. It was a thick, dark, treacle-like substance used by compounding pharmacists to make an analgesic syrup.

I was a chemist with the pharmaceutical company that first obtained a permit from the Bolte Government to process poppy straw in Victoria but was denied a permit to grow it here. I was also involved in establishing an export market for denatured poppy seed used for cullinary purposes.

Trial sites of papaver somniferum, the opium poppy, are now being assessed in several locations on the mainland. Funnily enough, small quantities can still be found growing wild in odd locations around the goldfields where the Chinese were on the diggings.

Years later, I was on my station in the Upper Gascoyne and decided to do a bit of a clean out of the RFDS medical chest. I found stuff that had been there for 40 years or more including heroin tablets for pain of childbirth (oh yeah)!

Kaz

Some sources will tell you that Australia was the worlds largest Opium customer in 1954...and remember this was long after they enacted the anti Chinese Opium Laws. I have been told that it used to be a housewife favourite...back when there was such a thing.

Some sources will tell you that Australia was the worlds largest Opium customer in 1954...and remember this was long after they enacted the anti Chinese Opium Laws. I have been told that it used to be a housewife favourite...back when there was such a thing.

Laudanum.

There is a beautiful little shipwreck in about 3 fathoms in the entrance to Swan Bay beside Swan Island. She is about 60' long from memory and pretty intact. The Will o' The Wisp was an opium clipper and the story goes she ran aground trying to evade Customs.

Be careful if you think about diving her because Swan Island is also Spook Island used for training ASIO and ASIS operatives and they are very possessive. So was the 2m wide stingray living on the site when I had a look!

Kaz

There are a lot more horse's a#ses in Australia than there are horses. You can find them in the ACT.

Another useless industry - horses along with ultralights add very little to the growth of Australia and are pure local non productive consumption. I am sure you can find many industries like this. Football, cricket, swimming, some form of education, cards, parades, surf life savers, iPads - I could go on and on (and on and on and on). Then again horse hamburgers would go over well in France and camelburgers in the middle east.

geoff, ferny grove wont go to a by election, no legal precedent for it

Hell o F_T,

You mentioned no legal precedent OK that comes from the sheep side of the legal fraternity.

However? What about those members who argue a case against precedence and win the case for their client. The LNP could get one of those people.

There is one very good person in that regard, Julie Bishop. Julie has had some good cases in her time, and won.

So all is not over in Ferny Grove, will make a good movie.

Regards

KP.