Historic turnaround in Qld

Methusala

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andys@coffs

I wonder if they have a plan.....I wonder whether they even considered the chance of winning...... It will certainly be interesting to see...... I suspect that mr Abott must be feeling less comfortable than he was......I was astounded to see PUP has increased its vote.......

Andy

I better add, I voted Family First. Not Liberal as my first preference as most here would think. Australia does need a 3rd large party IMO to keep the other two honest. I also numbered every box which there was five for my seat. I didnt do it by the how to vote flyers. I picked my own preferences from one to five.

I bet you gave it more thought than 90% of your fellow QLDers Dazza. Most I talked to over the last few days seemed to mention just one issue, Asset Sales (Lease). I was amazed how many election posters around Brisbane were manned(womaned) by smiling waving humans, of nearly all the parties. Must be to stop the opposition from tearing them down or defacing them. I have been a booth worker for many years and it is nearly impossible for insiders to find out what the party preference distribution is for a particular electorate let alone Joe voter. Voting 1 in a square only, you don't know who you are voting for if your candidate doesn't get up, I am not even sure that you are voting for anyone at all the way it is now, maybe it would become just as effective as an informal vote!

Not surprised to see can't do Newman gone..he really did some silly things..but I am surprised with, as it seems, a win to get them back to government and yes I certainly hope that they don't go back to their big spending ways like Captain Bligh did not some many years ago..IMO we are taxed more than enough all governments need to learn how to use our tax money more efficiently with smaller government and much better accounting practices..

David

I bet you gave it more thought than 90% of your fellow QLDers Dazza. Most I talked to over the last few days seemed to mention just one issue, Asset Sales (Lease). I was amazed how many election posters around Brisbane were manned(womaned) by smiling waving humans, of nearly all the parties. Must be to stop the opposition from tearing them down or defacing them. I have been a booth worker for many years and it is nearly impossible for insiders to find out what the party preference distribution is for a particular electorate let alone Joe voter. Voting 1 in a square only, you don't know who you are voting for if your candidate doesn't get up, I am not even sure that you are voting for anyone at all the way it is now, maybe it would become just as effective as an informal vote!

Interesting comment; there's no doubt also that in recent times politicians have been talking at cross purposes to the electorates, or electorates have different agendas to the politicians, and it's going to be interesting to see how this will successfully be addressed as the future unrolls.

I was in Queensland for much of the election, and saw the candidates in action. Clearly "We have a plan", popular in the 1950's is out of date. People couldn't care less whether you have a formal plan or not, just whether you are going to address their favourite gripes, and that can mean a clash between a 10 year construction project which will benefit the State for generations, and fixing ambulance, school, education, police issues which are festering today. Very interesting challenges ahead for politicians.

The new Memeber for Ashgrove said this morning that the plan labour would employ was to apply 2/3 of the revenue from asset rent income to debt recovery. One would hope that the other 1/3 is applied to repair and renovation.

It might sound sexist, but perhaps it might be a good idea to hand the State's purse string to a woman who might apply household economy ideas to the State. That is, of course, if she can operate free from backroom interference.

OME

Once again I think the issue is, Newman had to go and no credible other option, similar to the fed situation. Still not happy tho. Last thing QLD needed or could afford was more ALP government. I could tell along time ago that this result was a possibility,surely Newman could have done something to turn it around.

It may be historic, but so is the titanic.

What Australia really needs is less government. 4 levels in most states although 3 in Qld. Of the 4 countries I have lived in the bureaucracy in this country leads by a country mile. The tyranny of time and distance evaporated years ago. There will never be any change though as the pollies at all levels have too much vested interest in the status quo & we get taxed at local, state and federal levels to support them and their multiple bureaucracies.

Conservative politics now relies almost entirely on a base of middle aged white guys. Conservative ideas just not that popular any more

Only based on my observations but I couldn't disagree more, out of my social group my friends in the 20's nearly all are on the conservative side, friends in the 30's-40's much more split. My thoughts behind it being the different stages of life, pepole in their late 20's mostly don't care about hospital funding, schooling (assuming that they have already studied) and other similar stuff, they care about the economy, getting a better job and a better start in life. And conservative ideas were pretty popular when ALP governments got thrown out all across the country only a few years back.

I still believe the issues at the moment is that they are all rubbish. My vote will always be able to be brought for the price of a department/ minister of aviation!

What Australia really needs is less government. 4 levels in most states although 3 in Qld. Of the 4 countries I have lived in the bureaucracy in this country leads by a country mile. The tyranny of time and distance evaporated years ago. There will never be any change though as the pollies at all levels have too much vested interest in the status quo & we get taxed at local, state and federal levels to support them and their multiple bureaucracies.

I agree 100%, for a country with only 23 million, the joint is way over governed. It is ridiculous .

The lastest elections in Victoria and Queensland do show one thing. People are generally not loyal to one particular party like they were many years ago. The swings seen from one party to another in a small amount of time is massive. Who ever is in power for a 3 year term better do a good job or they will be out of a job come the next election.

I do not follow any party any more, I am very much more interested in what the elected MP is doing for our local community during his or her 3 year term, if I see or more often than not don't see them in our local papers working with the community and I only see them around once an election is called I will look for a new MP, as is the case here for this election, our sitting LNP member was dumped, no one ever saw her.

Our federal member is Wyatt Roy, he is a great young fellow, he is out and about the community working and helping people to make things better, he is always fighting for new infrastructure for Caboolture and trying to create jobs, so in my eyes even though he is a LNP member he has my vote next time the federal elections come up, I vote for my community and the person ..not the party.

David

The lastest elections in Victoria and Queensland do show one thing. People are generally not loyal to one particular party like they were many years ago. The swings seen from one party to another in a small amount of time is massive. Who ever is in power for a 3 year term better do a good job or they will be out of a job come the next election.

How can you do a good job when you have no policies? When you are so ignorant you don't even know what the GST percentage is? CN seriously misjudged the intelligence of the average voter.

ft bothers me with his misplaced emphasis on age being a major determinant of intelligence and performance. The US withdrew Bob Hoover's licence on that premise. Barry Diamond issued him with an Australian one so he could perform his routine at Avalon. He didn't appear to lack co-ordination or judgement there in the Aero Commander lent to him. Forgive me I have always fought discrimination on any basis, and I guess I'll just keep doing it being too old to change? I'm more radical than many half my age..Nev

How can you do a good job when you have no policies? When you are so ignorant you don't even know what the GST percentage is? CN seriously misjudged the intelligence of the average voter.

Guess we are about to find out one way or the other...

David

Who ever is in power for a 3 year term better do a good job or they will be out of a job come the next election.

Don't think this is going to do our country any good at all in the longer term. It is like the difference between hazard reduction and fire fighting, our current governments at all levels already have trouble seeing past the next ballot, but they all budget spending to four or five or ten years out. Those are promises they only have to keep if they get re-elected for a second or third term, and don't get called to account for them if they get chucked out, meanwhile Joe punter is too short in memory to remember what they promised six years ago anyway.