Historic turnaround in Qld

Methusala

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God help QLD, I hope that the new Labor government is responsible , not like the previous Labor government under Bligh who put QLD into 85 billion in debt.

Hello Dazza

That $85b debt well I heard $87b we will not argue over that. Still a lot of money.

............BUT............ Just the interest bill on that is about $5b a year..

So the taxes are paying that interest before anything else can be done. Qld lost its AAA credit rating and money is a lot dearer. Anna arranged that for us.

Divide the $5b by 52 that will be the weakly interest bill. For a rough figure $450,000 a minute.

Regards

KP.

Imagine all the social issues associated with paying women $5000 to have babies, what a horrible social experiment.

Sad, but very true.

In Shepparton we have one of the highest rates of teen pregnancy in Victoria; and many of the young mum's go on Nd have a second or third while still in their teens.

Unfortunately, the money is a major driver along with high youth unemployment and the young age of many school leavers.

They can't see a future for themselves in the workforce and Costello's "one for the family and two for the country" has become one for the money and two for the money and...

Kaz

Hello DazzaThat $85b debt well I heard $87b we will not argue over that. Still a lot of money.

............BUT............ Just the interest bill on that is about $5b a year..

So the taxes are paying that interest before anything else can be done. Qld lost its AAA credit rating and money is a lot dearer. Anna arranged that for us.

Divide the $5b by 52 that will be the weakly interest bill. For a rough figure $450,000 a minute.

Regards

KP.

Ouch, I hope the new government tighten the purse strings.

So now the assets are going to be rented to the other mobs mates instead. Leased/Rented, .........you are still going to pay more now there is going to be an extra player in the power delivery.

We have certainly paid more for power, water and gas since we sold off our utilities in Victoria. I think it's also fair to say that the distribution networks are not maintained to the necessary standard as the Black Saturday court actions have demonstrated.

It always struck me as ironic that Kennett held Bolte up as his great hero of conservative politics, even to the point of demanding that the Public Works Dept find Bolte's old desk for him. Yet Kennett happily sold off the States assets that Bolte worked so hard and effectively to build using bonds (borrowed money) to fund them. Bolte built for the future and Kennett...where did all the money go?

Kaz

Tighten the purse strings at the wrong time and you create recession and hardship and more unemployment. It's easy for the general populace to lose confidence and stop spending. This creates less economic activity and has it's own set of consequences If people have no spare money they don't spend. It's that simple. Nev

Guest Howard Hughes

On a National level people have had relatively high disposable income over the last few years given the low levels of interest, for the most part they have chosen not to spend it but pay down debt instead.

Congratulations all Queenslanders for recognising what was wrong and correcting it. Seems that they are able to elect good alternatives to govern as well as to represent us on the RAA board

Dazza, This always was a bit optimistic at the time it was first posted, a bit like claiming victory on election night, can always back fire and leave facial egg all around. Might be an LNP KAP coalition yet.

That $85b debt well I heard $87b we will not argue over that. Still a lot of money.

QLD population is 4.7m so state debt is around $18,000 per person or $72,000 per family of four.

Federal government (ALP) debt is an additional debt of approaching $28,000 per person or $112,000 per family of four.

So nett government debt for each Queenslander is in the order of $46,000. Much higher again if you look at it per taxpayer. But note also I haven't included local government debt in this figure.... anyways, as long as you feel you got good value for all this debt it's sweet. You do have a bunch of shiny new assets to show for it right?

the LNp plan was to sell off income producing assets like ports and electricity networks and build roads.

No mention about long term viability of a producing a budget surplus. The math never added up 99 year lease of assets producing $2B a year for $37b versus keeping them and accruing $198B in revenue.

that's why the LNP got voted out, they are ripping of the electorate

Rule number 1. Never give any money free......it just doesn't work....I believe the biggest beneficiaries from the baby bonus were Harvey Norman and the local bottle shops.....

Well, yes HN and the bottleos did get some money but the recipients of the bonus did get something when they handed the money over.

It is a bit like government debt - the government actually got lots of assets when it borrows money - things like roads, hospitals, schools, airports etc. Wouldn't it be a crap joint if we waited till we had all the money in the bank before you bought anything. That would be as silly as renting a squat till you had all the money and then you died before you could spend it - why should the adult kids get the benefit of all the hard work of the parents, grandparents, great grandparents etc.

Now is actually a good time for the government to go into debt for infrastructure - debt is very cheap and is almost as cheap as inflation. The return on investment would pay off the debt. Mines don't get built out of the owners piggy banks, they get built out of borrowings. (and the owners still live very high on the hog)

Please explain .... LOL

Looks like the whole 19% swing against the liberals went to her. She still pulls some love ... never underestimate a little red head. LOL

Whether you support her policies or not, what the Libs did to her was criminal. They may live to regret it.