Republic

Yenn

OK,

Did you mention 'One Nation' ?

One Nation didn't catch on much, I recall.

But it would be easier to have unity if we were one Nation with one set of legislature (laws).

At present we are more like seven different nations each with their own government, but all under one federal umbrella. The redundancy must be costing us massively.

Even big business is trying to reduce the wastage created by multi tiered management.

" lf the majority of Autralians want to elect a president, "

and that was the RUB.

NO Australians are to elect our President, Only politicians will have that vote.

DO YOU trust our politicians. 

NOT ME. They cannot be trusted, BUT have to be watched All the time.

now RAPE in Parliament, still trust them.

spacesailor  

Spacey, if seven different states with seven different sets of lawmakers sounds safer to you, how about deleting the monarch, deleting the Canberra mob and all their hangers on, deleting states and simply allow the local counties to make their own laws?

Do you really think that smaller government ends up more caring and less corrupt than big government?

As a younger bloke, I believed that the state governments were irrelevant and that municipalities could have been rationalised similar to how Brisbane did it. With respect to councils, at least in the cities, I still think the same; when I lived in Brisbane, I didn't notice anything different than the myriad of councils in Melbourne, except administration was centralised and cheaper.

But if I hadn't changed my mind with respect to state governments before the pandemic (which I had), I certainly have since as Australia would be in a very different position than it is now with respect to Covid - but also a lot of other things - like renewables (well done, SA). It has been proven, in addition to the separation of the executve, legislature and judiciary, a multi-tiered government provides a degree of check and balance needed. Yes, it is not the most efficient use of personnel, but what price our representative democracy?

I personally don't see the need for a president or head of state other than the PM (and, for that matter, the state premiers - remember each state has a governor which is a rep of the monarch, as well). The respective GG/goernors real political role is to sign into law bills passed by parliament. When was the last time that a GG or governor refused to do so? I think a joint declaration by the speaker of the house and the leader of the senate that the act was passed lawfully in the chambers (i.e. following due rules, etc) should be enough.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I begrudgingly accept your point, Jerry. Evidence suggests that our clumsy state government system appears to be the one possible factor that helped us to minimize Australia's vivid deaths.

I'm still of the opinion that it should (note SHOULD) be better to unite Australia as 'one nation' and do away with state governments. But I guess that would rely on us replacing it with open, transparent, caring federal government that acts primarily in the interests of the people.

Fat chance of seeing that happen in any government!

• Like 1

Apart from virtually everyone in Aus outside of Melbourne hating us Melbournians, and us not having too much positive to say about Sydneysiders, I didn't think Australians were disunited nor considered themselves from their respective state before their counrty. I have never thought of myself Victorian or Melbournian; I have always thought of myself as Australian. Anything else is just banter... Except for that strange throwing sport they have called rugby.. But even after living here, it is still a peculiarity....

(All hail the Sherrin!!)

If there was only one government, how long would it take for the Minister for Roads in Canberra to do something about a pothole in Bull Swamp?

Not that Bull Swamp Shire Council might be any quicker, but different levels of government for different levels of involvement.

Everyone seems to have an answer to all the problems, but they don't put their hand up to do anything about it. They just complain about those who do.

9 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

...I didn't think Australians were disunited nor considered themselves from their respective state before their counrty. I have never thought of myself Victorian or Melbournian; I have always thought of myself as Australian...

Jerry that’s the ideal, but state premiers still like to put their patch ahead of the nation; Joh Bjelke-Petersen was a master of Qld-First, and the current premier still uses that rhetoric.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Jerry. You ask when was the last time that a governor failed to sign in being a law. I don't know, but I do know that the Qld Governor, who went on to be a Governor General signed int law a bill  which amalgamated local councils. That was after the Qld Premier Anna Bligh had stated that there would have to be a referendum and then passed an act to ensure that a referendum was not necessary.

That Governor did not even have the decency to reply to my letter asking about that obvious treacherous act.

• Informative 2

20 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Apart from virtually everyone in Aus outside of Melbourne hating us Melbournians

Jerry, I've never heard that one about Melbournians before. Up this way, all the jokes are about Victorians in general with no mention of Melbourne specifically. You know the type of thing - how Victorians come up here with a fifty dollar note and a set of clothes and don't change either of them.

• Haha 1