Australian vs American culture

Bruce Tuncks

10 hours ago, willedoo said:

It's a pity it was all BS.

PLEASE CONSIDER HOW YOU WRITE STUFF

A problem with responding to the last bloke's comment in a forum is that conversational formats can result in confusion. Willedoo's post that I quote here would be OK if we were in the clubhouse chatting together, but I an lost as to the "it" he is talking about. His comment comes immediately after I posted something about political speeches. Is he referring to to the art of speech making, or the content of the example speech?

What I am saying is, please don't use pronouns before you identify what the pronoun is standing in for. The same goes for uncommon abbreviations formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word 

Pronouns and Canneing, the two Always went together in my school day.

AND 

It still didn,t work !.

Looking at what my reloes write, I can see the need for IT,

BUT

They write from the Heart, & we still understand 99% of THEIR written word !. Not a commer or stop in their entire message.

spacesailor

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pmccarthy said:

How often do you use the word "pronoun" in a clubhouse discussion? Just shows the difference between conversation and text.

I'd guess NEVER, but if I'm writing something as an explanation, shouldn't I use the correct term for the thing I'm explaining?  

In linguistics and grammar, a pronoun is a word that substitutes for a noun or noun phrase. The use of pronouns often involves anaphora, where the meaning of the pronoun is dependent on an antecedent. For example, in the sentence "That poor man looks as if he needs a new coat", the antecedent of the pronoun "he" is dependent on "that poor man".

So, if pmccarthy and spacesailor and old man emu were sitting around the club talking, then the flow of conversation would allow the use of pronouns because they "those three persons" would be aware of the antecedent of each pronoun used. However, in text, which is what exists in this forum, the antecedent is not obvious especially if the antecedent is located on a different page. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, willedoo said:

Maybe we could have a separate thread devoted to English writing and grammar lessons.

Nah. It would only start arguments between the traditionalists and the contemporaries, who could then join the British or American camps for worldwide conflict.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

SO SEW and SOW are all pronounced ???

"So" - a very useful word ; "Sew" - to fasten with stitches, and "Sow"  - to scatter seed or implant an idea are all pronounced  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sow?pronunciation&lang=en_us&dir=s&file=sow00002 with the "w" sound silent. However, a female pig has the"w" sounded. 

Then there is the ancient word for a wooden tub or bucket, "soe" pronounced the same way by British/Australian speakers, but clearly not the Yanks.

1 hour ago, spacesailor said:

BUT

How to spell that prenunciation.

???

spacesailor

Your asked for it!  

The word "so" UK  /səʊ/; US /soʊ/

The word "sow" - to stitch, or to scatter - (UK) : /səʊ/; (US): /soʊ/

The symbols are from the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). It is a system of phonetic notation devised by linguists to accurately and uniquely represent each of the wide variety of sounds (phones or phonemes) used in spoken human language. It is intended as a notational standard for the phonemic and phonetic representation of all spoken languages.

HOMOPHONES

AND WHICH ONE IS THE WORD ??? PRONUNCIATION 

Everyone knows how to spell the normal words.

BUT no one knows that pronunciation spelling.

I do, But I had lots of canning, to get it !, from the highest English university.

Please enlighten me.

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Added title

Please excuse my shouting, 

I should try another way to Emphasize my pronunciation.

Now I seem to be mocked for trying to clarify, what the teachers of old could only use corporal punishment to silence !.

And NO ( not shouting ) , I do not know how to spell that pronunciation word.

I checked Wikipedia, and it,s not there, the explanation of spelling the Homophon word, that is !.

So confusing isn,t it, English of course! .

spacesailor

" it is impossible to know the pronunciation without the context in a sentence. "

the  sentence is.                              ,

" these three words are all pronounced ???, Sew Sow So. "

It is exceptionally  hard to write what Cannot be written !.

Just put your letters in place of my question marks.

easy, don't have to be a rocket scientist to fly, with a three letter word.

spacesailor

11 hours ago, spacesailor said:

these three words are all pronounced ???, Sew Sow So

Sough: to make a long high or low sound while moving (especially of the wind or sea). The wind soughed through the towering pines nearby.

UK  /saʊ/    US  /saʊ/

That would be,

The wind Sighed through the trees, As in " the Minstrel sighed down the Italian slopes to cool our hot ".

It was not the university,s answer, l received,

When old enough to try & find the right answer.

Those teacher,s were so upset at me getting one over them, they punished me Unmercifully. Even through  it was unintenionally. They had to enforce their own control.

Remember !, l had No previous learning at all, before ten year old. First year  learn to read, 2nd ,lean to Add, ( not subtract ), 3rd learn subtract & multiply 4th, lean to Keep  my Mouth shut, & stay out of everything,  5th year Go Get A Job.

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
More added

Spacey,

The wind you are talking about is the Mistral. It is not the type of wind that does any gentle sighing, not will it sough through the trees.  It is a strong, cold, northwesterly wind that blows from southern France into the Gulf of Lion in the northern Mediterranean.  It produces sustained winds often exceeding 66 km/h (41 mph) / 18 m/s (36 kn), sometimes reaching 185 km/h (115 mph) / 51 m/s (100 kn). Periods of the wind exceeding 30 km/h (19 mph) / 8 m/s (16 kn) for more than sixty-five hours have been reported.

Mistral wind blowing near Marseille. 

280px-Mistral_sur_le_Frioul.JPG