An interpretation of Luke 2:49 - 52

old man emu

I once read that we had an episode of riverside living, that is the quite small group that eventually led to us. Hair is bad news if you get wet often, look at whales etc.

Then when we started to wear animal skins in the ice ages, we could suffer a lack of vitamin D. Especially hairy-faced men...  this is why male baldness developed and why it only happens after the beard has grown.

There is a strong argument for homo sapiens spending a fairly long evolutionary period trying to become fully aquatic.

Evidence includes the observation that humans are the only land mammals that have sub cutaneous fat, which is used a insulation for fully immersed aquatic mammals such as whales, dolphins, etc. Also, we have lost scent ability which land mammals use for knowing when their females are in oestrus (smell doesn't work under water). Of course, non waxed hair is a handicap in cool water, so it might die out.

There is a very interesting book called "The Descent of Woman" which explores all this.

• Like 1

Not bad OME. I was looking for a bit about horses. Only humans and horses sweat, and horses have kept their hair.

I have read that a pack of humans can run down a deer on a hot day, as the deer' panting is nowhere near as good as sweating. But we can't run down horses.

Just as animals, we are quite formidable huh...  I would put my money on a man with a baseball bat against a lion, especially if there were a few trees about.

• Agree 1

On 25/11/2020 at 8:52 PM, old man emu said:

The middle ground is held by those who believe that present day life forms are the result of DNA mutations that improved survivability and that an Omnipotent Creator may, or may not have been responsible for all DNA mutations.

Occam's Razor would suggest that the "omnipotent creator" is therefore excess to requirements.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1