An interpretation of Luke 2:49 - 52

old man emu

I'm not wishing to denigrate anyone's spiritual followings, but....

When I look at the human body from an engineering perspective, I cannot see much quality (intelligence) in the design. In fact it reminds me of how our design engineers often make a nice looking motor car but put the oil filter in an inaccessible spot which makes a mess every time it's accessed. Perhaps this indicates that god was an engineer? In fact the human mainframe (built to almost identical plans as all other  mammals) shows all the shortcomings of 'barely good enough' engineering bug fixes that I'd find in any machine or computer programme.

My comments above have nothing to spirituality, just observations on the barely satisfactory outcomes of evolution which only rewards the ability to survive, procreate, and ensure continuation of a species.

• Like 1

But think of this Nomad...  you have to turn a submarine into a road-truck, by tiny steps, and each step of the way you need to have a useful thing that can survive in its own right.

That's what happened with us...  your great ( times 500 million ) grandmother was a fish.

I reckon its a wonder we do as good as I see around. Of course there are lots of design failings, but just look at the way we are communicating here...  not bad huh..

• Agree 1

I say again, if anyone wants to have as a core element of their philosophy that there is an Omnipotent Creator of all things, then that is OK. Just don't question the way things happened. If you are a creationist, believing that things were created uniquely in the form that we find them, that's OK. Over time, the Creator could have done this unique creation thing from everything from trilobites to pterodactyls to tigers.

On the other extreme there are those who do not believe in an Omnipotent Creator and that present day life forms are the result of DNA mutations that improved survivability and a pinch of good luck.

The middle ground is held by those who believe that present day life forms are the result of DNA mutations that improved survivability and that an Omnipotent Creator may, or may not have been responsible for all DNA mutations.

I was trying to avoid stirring up that particular debate, OME.

I personally don't see a need to link a brief observation about the efficiency of life forms, to any specific spiritual beliefs.

Clearly some people do, and I'm not trying to shake anyone's tree. The Deity discussion has been comprehensively addressed in other threads so I don't want to go there now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nomadpete said:

I was trying to avoid stirring up that particular debate

Debating that topic is flogging a dead horse. All we can do is agree to disagree and respect others' right to a belief that does not impinge on the rights of those who don't hold it.

Being a person who holds the view that human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify either the belief that God exists or the belief that God does not exist, I'm quite happy to have the view that if there is indeed a God, then the the Theory of Evolution is an expression of God's magnificence. If there is no God, then the evolutionary process is a wonderous thing.

• Like 1

YOU are here because a very long line of your ancestors survived long  enough to pass on your genes.. IF just ONE hadn't you wouldn't be here. Everything mutates, sometimes quite quickly. That mutation either helps or it doesn't. I personally don't think you need a God involved for that to happen, but if you think so, don't cut my head off for disagreeing with your concept. and we might get along. Nev

• Like 1

You are instrumental in causing flies and cockroaches to evolve smarter avoidance of the human flyswat, by killing the slow ones.

Thus you are the reason I can't swat them like I used to.

That's even worse than being a grammar cop. 😞

Edited by nomadpete
fighting spelcorrect has not invoked evolving better spellin
  • Like 1