And the miserable, greedy leprechaun is true to form

onetrack

So, the $24M man is now being true to global corporate form, with his total lack of ethics - by denying sick leave to Qantas staff that are sick from the COVID virus, and have been stood down.

The leprechaun is saying because they no longer have a job, they're not entitled to sick leave! Regardless of the fact they got sick, whilst working their knuckles off for Qantas!!

What a total and complete arsehole this prick is! One can only hope he catches some disease, that rots him from the inside out - because AFAIC, he's already rotten, through and through, anyway.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-11/coronavirus-cases-in-family-of-qantas-flight-crew-union-warning/12142506

I have to admit, I wouldn't want to work for him. He comes across as a ruthless bar steward and although his investors are happy at the moment, some of the profits are driven from extrernal factors (price of oil as an example) and others are his ruthlessness. But, this is the airline business, and it is a global business with global pressures. One of the most financially successful airlines in Europe since I have beenhere, Ryan air, is run by an equally ruthless bar steward - Mike O'Leary. I flew them once - never again. I am happy to pay more for a real service, but alas, the vast majority of people will scramble to the bottom. I believe he even makes his piloting staff pay for their recurrent training - though it is hearsay and I may be wrong on that..

As a proud Aussie expat, where the kids are, "Dad, I know it's better in Australia", I have to say, I only now fly QANTAS when I have to, after my last two experiences. At east sardines are dead when they are crammed into the tin... The staff were downright rude to the point where one didn't even bother asking for anything as the response was not worth it. The quaity of the service, when it is not even near the cheapest, is rubbish. And at Melbourne, they get you to put your own luggage tags on! WTF. I manged to get a "professional" to put my tag on and my bag never seemed to have left Tullamarine - and getting help in London or from the Web Site once I did managed to get a tracking case number was futile.

Most airlines are going this way.. but Joyce, like O'Leary, does seem to be very good at standing out... Though,in these conditions, the fate of airlines is probably more precarius than many other indistries and every penny counts.

I have flown Qantas for many years. In 1968 I vowed never to fly Qantas again, but after going with Singapore, BOAC and Thai I reverted to Qantas, reason being better pilots and also quite acceptable service.

I cancelled our trip to the UK in June, did that on 14 March and have sice then been trying to find out what Qantas is doing about it. The tickets were above the minimum fare but were such that cancellation would only result in $200 loss per ticket. Yesterday they contacted us and asked what we wanted to do.

We could cancel and lose the $ 200 or just defer them up to as late as Dec 31 next year. Then they would be good, except that there may be a price increase we wold have to cover.

As we want to go for what will no doubt be a last visit, we have gone the deferral path.

There will be a massive increase in the fare next year and of course when Qantas knows we want to go, the price will reflect that. We are going to have to re negotiate a price without Qantas knowing who we are.

The other possibility is that Qantas will not be able to pay its CEO the 24 million and will shut up shop.

I get the feeling that I let my wife talk me into the wrong decision, but what the hell, its only money.

Lance, the bottom line is - these Qantas employees have largely been loyal employees for possibly extended periods of time. That loyalty is now being repaid by the sacked employees being treated like thieving Spanish gypsies.

There is such a thing as Karma. A mate has a good saying - "Be careful that the toes you step on today, aren't connected to the arse you have to kiss tomorrow".

If Joyce treats his loyal employees like used toilet paper, placing no value on them, or their efforts, then I can well imagine the huge amount of ill-will harboured towards him by former employees, when he wants to resurrect Qantas.

That ill-will spreads, like ripples from a stone thrown into a pond. As a former business owner with up to 102 employees at one time, I know full well that the service provided by employees is directly related to their treatment.

The poor Qantas service you have both received is indicative of a company run by a tyrant, with poor staff morale, and a lack of interest in supporting their employer, due to constant employee mistreatment and generally ruthless behaviour.

I have $18K of fares booked with Qantas from July. They said the flights are cancelled (obviously) but I haven't heard from them about a refund. I don't want to cancel on line as the cancellation fee is huge. And why should i pay to cancel a booking for a flight that has been cancelled.

I have $18K of fares booked with Qantas from July. They said the flights are cancelled (obviously) but I haven't heard from them about a refund. I don't want to cancel on line as the cancellation fee is huge. And why should i pay to cancel a booking for a flight that has been cancelled.

Why you should pay to cancel is obvious. See the posts above and remember how will the Irish shirt lifter get his $24 million if he has to pay you for the service he cannot supply.

• Like 1

I thought he "said" he would forego his remuneration during the crisis.

Yes I think he is forgoing half, however it is half of a very very large sum

"Chief executive Alan Joyce has foregone his salary for six months and said the situation remains hard to predict. Joyce had a realised pay of $23.88 million in 2018, according to The Australian Council of Superannuation Investors (ACSI). "

Perhaps we should take up a collection for him!

@onetrack - I meant to respond earlier..

I guess I should have been more explicit as I largely agree with what you say.. And that my thinking is that because they are hacked off, they are rude. I get that (I also know a QANTAS flight attendant). I, too, have managed a sizeable number of people and learned that I could get the best out of them by supporting them when it really counted, which endeared loyalty and commitment money can't buy. I learned that trick when I moved to a company, let's call them the Southwest Airlines of the software business.. Never so invigorated and embedded into a company before, nor since.. and worked the hardest I ever had - and personally achieved and grew the most.

My point is that the airline industry, in the race to the bottom, with a complicit public no longer value employees like they did - they are simply another cost.. Ryanair were probably the pioneers of this. They trimmed everything to be the cheapest; slashed staff numbers, treated their staff like carp, effectively reduced their pay by limiting the hours being paid, etc. I read they even made some of their operating airports 90 kms from the city they claimed to be flying to - that's c. 145kms... Imagine having a scheduled flight advertised as Melbourne and they arrive at Avalon (oh wait, that is being done now). Yet, their prices are rock bottom and despite almost everyone complaining about how poor their service was or how inconvenient it was and how they gorge you for any changes, people still fly them and they are the most commerically successful airline in Europe - certainly in the pan-European market.

The Ryanair business plan seems to be a sensible appraisal of public transport in the 21st Century. Ninety years ago, public transport by air was only for the wealthy, and the wealthy demand top notch service. To the rest of the population, air travel was seen as glamorous and unattainable. Move on to the 1960's and air travel became more affordable to the average traveler due to the introduction of turbo-prop and jet engined aircraft. The airlines still maintained that "wealthy traveler" level of in-flight service. Once you reach the first quarter of the 21st Century, air travel is relatively dirt cheap.

What we in Australia would call interstate flights, Europeans call international flights. Aircraft have become another form of cheap travel, affordable by everyone who wants it. Travel by air has reached the same level of familiarity as bus or train travel. People simply want to get from A to B as quickly as possible. The time spent on the journey is no longer part of the excitement of the journey. Therefore airlines like Ryanair give people what they want - an aerial bus ride. Those who complain about poor service etc., have the mind-set of the 60's. Those who regularly use these airlines accept the 21st Century reality.

I long ago decided I was prepared to pay a little more to avoid Jetstar-type (lack of) service, being squashed in like sardines, and putting up with boorish fellow travellers who don't even possess basic civility and manners.

I would hope a lot more people are thinking the same way, after having endured God-awful Jetstar service and reliability.

We were once stuck on the ground at Perth for 5 hrs whilst harrassed Jetstar maintenance staff chased up a common part that they failed to stock because of owner penny-pinching.

They lied to us constantly about the length of the delay, gave us a $7 voucher for lunch that barely buys a coffee in an airport environment, and lost us almost a whole day at our holiday destination.

I very quickly got sick of the Jetstar penny-pinching that ensured you couldn't even get basic attention, not even a glass of water. I think I flew Jetstar about 3 times and then swore off them for life.

But the worst part was, Jetstar ended up being the only air service to many centres from Perth - Perth to Cairns for example. We then changed our travel plans to avoid Jetstar, which meant more stops, of course.

Edited by Guest

I am in the same boat, although my choices are somewhat limited now, unless I need to go to London to fly. My nearest airport is Exeter and then Bristol is the next closest and they are mainly discount airlines that operate from both (BA domestic/within Europe these days are expensive airlines with a discount service).

With the discount airlines and the bad hotels in coastal areas is Europe, people can have their two week holidays in the Costa de Sol, ex. food cheaper than they can get in Cornwall. So they go. And it is bogan city during the summer months... We went once, with a more upmarket operator and ended up leaving the hotel and heading inland

• Sad 1

And I went to Oludeniz resort for a Turkish holiday.

It was excellent.

Only one complaint.

Ausralians pay twice the visa price as England, and the Kiwi,s don't pay anything at all.

It closes for their winter & their staff either take a break or go overseas to work.

spacesailor