Will we let a foreigner destroy our democracy?

Old Koreelah

What's the biggest threat to our children's future?

Not climate change.

Not China.

Not Islam.

Not the coming economic collapse.

It's when our people don't even realise that for decades they've been manipulated by an insidious foreign master, who is so feared that nobody will challenge his excesses.

-except this bloke, who is well-qualified to:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/06/democracy-overboard-rupert-murdochs-long-war-on-australian-politics

Prepare for a furious response from the Murdoch media and their acolytes.

There is hope if you consider this very forum: I get stuff here which is unpolluted by Murdoch or anybody else.

As for the paper, I am weaning myself off it right now, helped by the last price hike to $1.90.

My son thinks reading the paper is a funny old-fashioned thing to do in this age of the internet.

I get two local free newspapers. Both are about 95% advertising; 3% "What's on?" and 2% "news". The best thing about them are the rubber bands holding them folded for throwing.

The local paper where my mother and sister live (Gilgandra) contains much more readable material, and it only serves a population of under 10,000.

I've just done a survey for the Roy Morgan organisation which contained pages pages of newspapers and magazine titles I was asked if I had read. I left pages and pages of answer spaces blank.

I stopped paying for newspapers in 1973. Don't miss them at all. There's one brand that seems to be available free in lot's of semi public places, perhaps to boost it's circulation figures. Even when it's free I don't read it. It's fatal to your intelligence and uses good trees.  Nev

There is hope if you consider this very forum: I get stuff here which is unpolluted by Murdoch or anybody else.

As for the paper, I am weaning myself off it right now, helped by the last price hike to $1.90.

My son thinks reading the paper is a funny old-fashioned thing to do in this age of the internet.

I was a paper boy in the 60's, Brisbane Telegraph was 4 cents. Great times , just about everyone gave me a 5c piece. 25% tip. Then they went to 5c.

So much for getting rich quick. 

We have two different free local newspapers, the type they chuck in your driveway, or you pick up at the local IGA on your way out.

One is positive, informative and enjoyable. The other is very depressing, all doom and gloom. If they can find a bad story, they'll write it. Funny thing is, it's the same local district they represent, one glass half full, the other half empty. Amazing what a difference an editor makes.

And yet whenever I say I only use ABC for serious and balanced news, everyone jumps down my throat saying they're left-wing radicals.

I think Rupert and his ilk have managed to shift the "centre" quite a bit to the right and no one has noticed.

Well Marty, thank god for those left wing radicals. I listen to the ABC local radio and they should be given a medal for their disaster response and management during the current bushfire emergency. No commercial station could come anywhere near what they have done. I'm proud that they're getting my tax dollars.

Truth is stranger than fiction. Publishing the truth hurts too many "influential' People and doesn't help their fortunes. and He who pays the Piper CALLS the tune.  Money makes money.. You can BUY most things except integrity. Yes there's NO money in telling the truth,  but you don't have to have such a perfect memory and burn books, Own newspapers. and hide stuff and buy or kill people to shut them up. Money is the root of ALL evil.   Nev

Thinking about the title of this thread.

If China had a Bit more brain !. It could & should give Hong Kong, Independent rule as a Democracy.

Also TAX them, to see if it could be a sustainable revenue earner.

Imagine the revenue passing through Hong kong annually.  

spacesailor