My Son's Art

Admin

The elliptical wing plan form is considered to be a misrepresentation. of a recommendation at the design stage. It was an elliptical pressure distribution in the design concept. The later ones had all sorts of modifications, and the ellipse is all but not there.. It had a high M crit (compared to most) probably due to the shallow depth of the wing. probably, most had a laminar flow but if you watch some of the landings on the grass field they behave pretty docile near the stall with non dynamic loading situations.. They were liked by everyone I know who flew them.  Probably had little or no  armour plate and a liquid cooled engine is more vulnerable to damage by Shrapnel etc. and they overheated on the ground in the tropics .Nev

The elliptical wing plan form is considered to be a misrepresentation. of a recommendation at the design stage. It was an elliptical pressure distribution in the design concept...

The postwar Jodel wing, as on my little plane, performs almost as well as the Spitfire wing, but is very much simpler to build.

...they overheated on the ground in the tropics .

Some tropical versions had ugly great air scoops under the spinner, presumably for big radiators.

I happened upon a fibreglass replica of one being road transported. It ended up in Fighter World at Williamtown.

• 1 year later...

As an update to my Son's art in the opening post I am a very proud father with Lachlan has just been offered his first choice in his VTAC University Placing. Lachlan did Year 12 VCE last year (2020) through the Covid pandemic, sat his exams and over the Christmas break he was given 3 conditional university offers including a scholarship at Monash Uni. His first choice was Bachelor of Communication Design at RMIT University and yesterday he received his first round offer of just that.

So that now makes both of my kids have gone/going to University. Caitlin finished her Bachelor of Criminology and Criminal Justice degree mid last year and now Lachlan starting uni this year.

Here is his web site:

https://www.lachlandesign.com.au/

• Like 4

Ian,

Don't let him think that simply doing a Bachelor's degree will give him a job when he's got it. He is entering into a field where change is the name of the game. Remind him of the time it takes to create course content, and that while a lecturer is doing that, he doesn't have the time to keep ahead of the wave.

If I asked my son - who has his own business in this general field - what advice he would give your son, it would be to pester a company already involved in communication design for an internship so that while he is attending Uni and getting the theory, he is also being exposed to the forefront of the occupation. If he doesn't put a lot of time into maintaining currency in the real world, his degree will not help him rise to the top in four or five years' time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, old man emu said:

Ian,

Don't let him think that simply doing a Bachelor's degree will give him a job when he's got it. He is entering into a field where change is the name of the game. Remind him of the time it takes to create course content, and that while a lecturer is doing that, he doesn't have the time to keep ahead of the wave.

If I asked my son - who has his own business in this general field - what advice he would give your son, it would be to pester a company already involved in communication design for an internship so that while he is attending Uni and getting the theory, he is also being exposed to the forefront of the occupation. If he doesn't put a lot of time into maintaining currency in the real world, his degree will not help him rise to the top in four or five years' time.

Luckily he has already been told from a local agency that they want to talk to him after he graduates. This company doesn't normally take work experience kids but they were very impressed with his work that he had done they gave him work experience. He worked on very large clients and at the end they told him they want him to come back to them after uni so that is a possible start. His uni course also includes the promotion into internships as well.

But like everything, you never know unless you try

• Like 2

Don't let him sit on his butt with the expectation that the job will be there. These companies fold up quicker than a Bedouin tent village. Usually due to poor managers and CEOs not keeping up with current trends. In four year's time, what's hot today will be so-oo 2020.

And don't hold him to the curriculum that is already set out. As he encounters more fields he will change his focus, but the main thing is to keep current over a wide field.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

OME's Son here. Just want to mention, I've had a quick look at what he's placed on his profile on the site. Good stuff. I mean, for someone who's main briefs have come from Dept. Education; the work isn't too bad at all!

I'd love to see what he can do with the tools of the industry. Also; to kind of tag onto Dad's comments, I'd suggest if he's not going to be 'in the field' for another 3-years, spend time and effort on 3D modeling, rendering and manipulation. That's 100% where the industry is going and in turn, where the big bucks will come from.

It'd be interesting to note what his interests/passions/drivers are for his design. What's his style and how can he pivot to apply elements of his style to the work - a kind of signature if you will.

But, good luck in study and it's good to have another one in the ranks! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Both but her preference is investigative police work. She has a huge interest in human trafficking so she is hoping to get into the AFP or border force. Caitlin has currently applied for border force although she just wants a little time out first to get some life experience so she is working casual at Adairs the retail linen store.

1 hour ago, Admin said:

she is working casual at Adairs the retail linen store.

She'll soon get the sheets with that job.

3 hours ago, Admin said:

Lachlan read the post and agrees and says thanks

Let him know that as he sees what is happening in all parts of the IT world, he is likely to alter course. Most of us have done that during our lives. I've seen it with my son, but he was smart enough to ride the changes. What he does now is totally different from what he did five years ago - workwise. He's still a lazy sh!t otherwise. 😏