Off to war again, all the way with Donald and Boris

Litespeed

So once again we are going on another adventure of confected sabre rattling in the middle east.

We are sending a warship to keep open the Hormuz strait. For oil once again, to protect our oil supply they say.

But only Boris and Donnie are joining, not the countries who export the oil or those that use it.

Iran has been quite rightly annoyed at constant sanctions even when they do everything asked of them by the UN.

They will only get more peeved and I expect the US will engineer a bay of Tomkin lie to start a war this time. And Scomo will happily jump and join in the killing.

Quick, look over there, its a bad guy.....

I Can't.I rely on the Coal-fired grid !.

For almost all my electricity.

spacesailor

I rely on the grid which in my area means some coal some wind and some solar. Increasingly the proportion of coal generation is decreasing.

Firstly, who gave Australia permission to police the Strait of Hormuz?

Secondly, it's not an action "to protect shipping from piracy". It's an action to prevent Iran from posting a toll for transit through a part of the Strait that is in Iranian territorial waters.

3 Reasons Iran Can’t Put A Toll On The Strait Of Hormuz

This threat to restrict the passage of shipping through the Straits is a threat by Iran to breach International Law. The regime of passage through international straits was one of the key issues in the negotiations of the 1982 United Nations Convention for the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). The Strait of Hormuz presents an interesting legal situation. On the one hand, Iran has signed but not ratified the UNCLOS, but it has ratified the 1958 Geneva Convention on the Territorial Sea and Contiguous Zone.

Transit Passage Rights in the Strait of Hormuz and Iran’s Threats to Block the Passage of Oil Tankers | ASIL

Closer to home - Come next summer, do we complain about the extreme heat, the environmentalists who want to ban the use of anything mined for fuel, or governments which allowed their assets (bought with public money) to deteriorate due to lack of upkeep?

Federal-state spat brewing as Victoria, NSW face summer of power outages

How easily WE go to war and how difficult to allow gays to play football or marry without being hassled about going to hell.

To HELL with ALLwarmongers I say." Blessed are the peacemakers for they will see the kingdom of God". How does the "God Bless Amerikee" sit with that ?

Trump has amassed all the warmongers there around him Bolton, Pompeio, Murdoch etc. He gets his way by bullying and vilifying his victims/opposition.. Just WHO would want to deal with such people? If you aren't "All the WAY" with them, they will drop you like a hot rock .Nev

The USA has always bullied its way out of taking responsibility for its actions. Americans are effectively exempt from prosecution over war crimes.

After WWII the leaders of the losing side were executed. The lowlife politicians who caused the war crime called Gulf War II enjoy their ill-gotten wealth in quiet retirement, while thousands of forgotten Allied service personnel suffer the effects.

I heard a stupid idea on the radio the other day. Someone was suggesting that our parliament should debate sending the navy to police the straights of Hormuz. How silly can you get. We all know that parliament is there to make the politicians look good, especially at question time. It is not there to make important decisions. That is up to the US President/Commander in Chief.

HOT SUMMER !.

WHY, can't an "airconditioner unit" (12 or 24 volt ) be run off the solar panels.

Sun comes up & before the heat starts, the solar powered AC starts to cool the house,

No Battery or inverter, 24 volt panels pumping out lots of amps straight to the unit.

Those panels Do run lights without a battery.

spacesailor

I agree space. We do get some hot overcast days but not enough to make what you say a bad idea.

It would take about 4 or 5 panels to work an evaporative air conditioner, and about ten panels to work a reverse cycle.

Hey there might be a business opportunity to modify mains appliances to work directly from solar panels.

The debate was short and sweet. It was decided with bi-partisan agreement. L-NP proposed; Labor agreed; Greens whinged. Pauline was out rock climbing.

Labor is not impressing me so far. Bit disappointed in Albo's leadership.

Also state Labor... last week they voted against pill testing at music festivals. A real step backwards. The Greens are fast becoming the only progressive party around.

Reminds me of the Vietnam war... but here is Scomo visiting Vietnam in search of trade growth. To the applause of the once pro-war press.

I'm proud of being anti that war, but I never had a problem with the soldiers who were there, and I never met anyone who did. That could have been me if my marble had come up, and I reckon they did a good job under impossible circumstances.

It was terrible when they were mistreated on coming home, but this mistreatment wasn't by me or any of my mates.

Quick, look over there, its a bad guy.....

It appears to be a simple equation. No bad guy = no excess defence acquisition bills passed = no taxpayer funded lollies for those powerful.

But what if there really is no bad guy. The trick then is to create a boogie man. For the military / industrial economy to con congressmen into voting for more cash, they rely on the fact that those in congress are answerable to their constituents, the taxpayers. Therefore it's vital those constituents (taxpayers), firmly believe in the boogie man.

The first step is to identify potential boogie men. It's problematical to include allies and vassal states in that list, so those with independent foreign policy and potential economic rivalry fit the bill. The next step is to continually demonize and denigrate those selected boogie men. Throw in a continual dose of manufactured news, a few false flags, and before you know it, the public will be really, really scared of the boogie man. Then all you have to do is put those bills up, get them voted through and viola!, it's lolly time. Blood for cash.

What a crazy, stuffed up world; it seems to be getting worse. It would be nice if Australia could be more independent and avoid all this global shadow boxing, but I have doubts that will ever be possible.

Storchy before you shoot from the hip, acquire your target.

Bruce said nothing about those who served in Vietnam being baby killers. In fact, he said, "I never had a problem with the soldiers who were there, and I never met anyone who did. That could have been me if my marble had come up, and I reckon they did a good job under impossible circumstances. " Those are words supportive of those who served.

He even went so far as to sympathize with those who served, but who were abandoned by the Government on their return home.

The fact that he is against countries resorting to war carries no condemnation of those who went either as volunteers, or as conscripts, and did what they perceived, or were told, was their duty. Now, more than 50 years on, and relying on the lessons of 20th Century history, don't you think that involving oneself in wars on foreign soil when your own homeland is not under direct attack fails to heed the lessons of the past?