I find myself agreeing with... Pauline Hanson

Jerry_Atrick

I feel violated! I was listening to ABC News Radio today and this squeaky mousey voice chirs up in parliament with words similar to, "If the government show me they are cracking down in raking in the billions of tax from multinationals, I will [happily] vote for a reduction in corporate tax. But they have to show me they are doing it." I had no idea who it was, but thought, good-on-yer, shiela! Well done.. Then the journo said, ". and Pauline Hanson went on to say..." and a tape rolled which had the same sequaky mousey (and to be honest, frail sounding) voice...

I was gobsmacked.. Something came out between the chops of PH and I ageed.. I think I need to see a doctor!

She will say something opposite within 24 hours, if you can stay tuned. A bloke was just expelled for adhering to one of her ideas, which she had reversed but the bloke is now with Clive Palmer.. How is it that you vote in the upper house for Pauleen's Party and they go to someone else within days??? In the senate you vote for a party, generally and the party determines the "order " of the candidates thereby controlling their chances of getting a seat, But then they can just "up" and go somewhere else if they get a bit miffed. (or a better offer). I would like to know just HOW this works. The AEC is supposed to manage all of this stuff. Are they still independent of government? The recent DELAY of the elections of " not appropriately" defined citizenship people seems to favour the Government as the "Numbers " suit them as they are NOW. Sharkie the Xenophon person will probably not have enough money to outlast other party's funding for one thing. The current voting situation is favourable to the current government.. The AEC and the Speaker of the Lower house are the ones to decide the process here. There should be NO question of their "IMPARTIALITY" in reality or appearance of. Nev

I feel violated! I was listening to ABC News Radio today and this squeaky mousey voice chirs up in parliament with words similar to, "If the government show me they are cracking down in raking in the billions of tax from multinationals, I will [happily] vote for a reduction in corporate tax. But they have to show me they are doing it." I had no idea who it was, but thought, good-on-yer, shiela! Well done.. Then the journo said, ". and Pauline Hanson went on to say..." and a tape rolled which had the same sequaky mousey (and to be honest, frail sounding) voice...

I was gobsmacked.. Something came out between the chops of PH and I ageed.. I think I need to see a doctor!

Don't fret, Jerry. You're just coming down with an incurable case of political common sense.

Even the most objectionable politician has something worthwhile to contribute; the first legislation of Hitler's Nazi government was a ban on cruelty to animals.

Even that sharlatan Trump might do something of value, but don't hold your breath...

I like the stopped clock analogy. Quite a few commentators reckon SHE hasn't understood what's actually going on. and doesn't know which way to vote. SHE is the common denominator in the "Usual" destruction HER party inevitably suffers. History is repeating itself here.Nev

• 2 months later...

Recently, Pauline Hanson said that she would save government money by cutting back on submarines.

Personally, I have been saying that for years.

I sure agree with her, and I take the opportunity to ask again for anybody to come up with a credible use for these submarines. ( The best answer will win a prize. You have to say what country we are at war with and what the exact mission will be )... So far, the winning suggestion is that if we go to war with Indonesia, the submarines can help rescue stranded holidaymakers from Bali.

This isn't very good I know. But vague stuff like " keep our trade routes open" is worse and ineligible.

Recently, Pauline Hanson said that she would save government money by cutting back on submarines.Personally, I have been saying that for years.

I sure agree with her, and I take the opportunity to ask again for anybody to come up with a credible use for these submarines...

Let's phase out our expensive submarines, fighter planes and warships. Save a few billion. Pay a little less tax.

The neighbours are friendly and always will be...

Maybe not. Having a credible deterrent to pushy neighbours is a good investment, and the primary role of any national government. The prospect of a few subs lurking near their expensive warships is enough to deter potential aggressors.

Do we have neighbours with expensive warships?

We don't have a maritime fleet, so why do we need submarines to control the sea lanes. It only take a word from the USA to stop other nations maritime fleets from coming to Australia. Do we trust the USA? Look at their record, which points up why we have submarines. The yanks told us we have to have them.

I don't think our submarines would be much of a deterrent. A better deterrent would be lots of Jabirus with nuclear-tipped homing missiles.

Old K, you didn't specify which neighbor. Indonesia? China? I doubt that PNG or New Zealand are big threats.

Both our Obernon and Collins class subs have been able to get in close enough to American carriers to score "hits" during exercises. Chinese subs have also crept very close to them.

It takes a very long time to build up a trained, competent military or naval force. Should we postpone that task till we really need it?

I'm sure that most navies have long since been equipped with weapons to counter missiles like the Exocet.

Russia and (I suspect China also) is developing a hypersonic missile and other weapons to take out US supercarriers. The arms race is hotting up and the only winners are the weapons builders.

Unfortunately, we dare not stay out of the race.

Recently, Pauline Hanson said that she would save government money by cutting back on submarines.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, but in her case it wouldn't be that often.

Both our Obernon and Collins class subs have been able to get in close enough to American carriers to score "hits" during exercises. Chinese subs have also crept very close to them.

It takes a very long time to build up a trained, competent military or naval force. Should we postpone that task till we really need it?

I can't see manned subs as being part of the future. They're like spacecraft - really hard to make them do all the stuff needed to carry the fragile watery bags we call humans, where unmanned ones could be smaller, stealthier and stronger.

At least we haven't got carriers. The payroll is over a million a day, and they are such inviting targets.

The ww3 scenario for Australia is for nukes on the North-west Cape American base, Sydney and Melbourne. How would some submarines help that?

Nuclear deterrents have reduced the chance of a nuke strike. The more likely scenario is something we haven't prepared for, such as cyber attacks, sabotage of infrastructure and energy supplies. Australia has closed most of our refineries and is dependent on imported fuel. We have less than three weeks supply in storage.

My understanding is that if a country has signed up to NOT have nukes, the nuclear countries "guarantee" that we will never be subject to a nuclear strike. This means that the nuclear countries would ALL carry out a nuclear strike on the bad country? Is that a correct understanding?

...I can't see manned subs as being part of the future. They're like spacecraft - really hard to make them do all the stuff needed to carry the fragile watery bags we call humans, where unmanned ones could be smaller, stealthier and stronger.

You might be right Marty, but initially they'd probably be deployed from a mother sub, as the Japanese did in WWII. This country needs to invest in our own, unique defence tech, rather than rely on expensive off-the-shelf stuff that the bad guys have been developing countermeasures for.

The trend towards using drones in defence may save human lives (at least on our team) but might ultimately increase the chance of conflict. The Obama administration was reluctant to send humans into harm's way, but showed considerable enthusiasm in employing drones to kill their enemies.

My understanding is that if a country has signed up to NOT have nukes, the nuclear countries "guarantee" that we will never be subject to a nuclear strike. This means that the nuclear countries would ALL carry out a nuclear strike on the bad country? Is that a correct understanding?

Hmm.. would you include North Korea in that agreement? And who knows what megalomaniac may end up in charge of a country with Nukes - would they stand by that agreement? .

Also, is a US base on foreign soil considered US or the host country's soil (in a similar vein as foreign embassies)? Aim the Nuke at one of the bases for justification...

Or, if the country happens to be next to a nuclear power and the wind is blowing the wrong direction when the borders of that power are attacked...

Nah... if there is an agreement not worth the paper it is written on ot the pollies breath wasted on it.